Who is riding a 650b?

Vetseun

I am seriously contemplating getting a 650b mtb.

Any hubbers riding one? Would appreciate your opinions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so can I accept that if I build up a 650 b that I will be the only hubber riding one?

Please I need to make a decision and would appreciate some feedback on the 650b experience.

Een van die ouens hier by Trinity Cycles het vir hom n 650b opgebou, maar met n gewone 26" raam, al wat hy moes doen is net n 2.1 tyre opsit sodat daar genoeg speling is.

Hy se dat dit baie beter loop en hy het geen probleme gehad met die setup soos hy dit gehad het nie, ek oorweeg om dieselfde met my 26" duel suspension te doen.

Een van die ouens hier by Trinity Cycles het vir hom n 650b opgebou, maar met n gewone 26" raam, al wat hy moes doen is net n 2.1 tyre opsit sodat daar genoeg speling is.

Hy se dat dit baie beter loop en hy het geen probleme gehad met die setup soos hy dit gehad het nie, ek oorweeg om dieselfde met my 26" duel suspension te doen.

Dankbaar!

I heard something that really got me thinking - and should be probably do so for everyone considering this route - apparently Specialized will NOT be doing any 650B bikes next year. Apparently the rationale is that the in between wheel does not offer enough of an advantage to offset the weigh penalty of a slightly bigger wheel. In effect, all that is created is a slightly heavier, more sluggish 26er.

Now, when a bike manufacturer who ploughs millions of dollars into R&D arrives at a conclusion like that, I think you gotta listen. (BTW, I know Scott are dropping 26 and only doing 650B etc.)

Food for thought, or fuel for the fire...

girlfriend just did Berg & Bush on her new 650b full sus Jamis, she's only had it for 2-3 weeks and is loving it.

she is finding the hills and flats easier and the Kenda Nevegal that it came with weren't too bad in the mud.

Still on her way back, so i'll get the full report later.

Edit: she was on a 26" HT Jamis

Edited by typhoon

I am thinking of fiiting 650B wheels (and fork) to my Santa Cruz Superlight.

Then we will have the full stable:-

Santa Cruz Superlight with 26" wheels

Santa Cruz Superlight with 650B wheels

Santa Cruz Tallboy with 29" wheels

Then I will be able to judge for myself.

I wish that I could fit 650b's to my Giant Anthem 26er... that would make the bike perfect IMHO.

Loving my Momsen SL650B. Under 10k's with XO and it goes like a rocket. Definitely a better bike than a 29er for me.

I know of 2 riders who have switched - converted Rocky Mountain MSL 30 and MSL 50 full suss's with fox forks to 650b crest rims with Schwalbe tyres, the fit is tight (clearance front and back is only about 12mm) so for very muddy courses you may need to fit the 26" but both swear they will only go back to 26" if forced to. They say ride over obstacles is better similar to 29er and even though hill climbing is slightly harder as like a 29er you need a bit more momentum it is worth the change over, They both say they no longer have to be picky about lines especially with the rock gardens due to the better rolling over obstacles. Grip in cornering is also better due to larger surface contact. Im converting my 26" to 650B as well it simply makes sense, Im riding a 29er and the ride is just so much more enjoyable on the bigger wheel.

Be careful when converting 26inch wheels to 650b. Especially with the Fox forks, if you blow through the travel, your wheel will reach the crown. I've seen it happen, not pretty. I know the lefty you can put a bumper or spacer into the fork (internally) to reduce the travel to stop this from happening. Fork length remains the same though.

Same with some of the FS bikes at the back, make sure you have clearance for the wheel when travel is compressed fully.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the product lines on offer for 650b in a year or two, should be same or even better than 26 at that stage.

I am thinking of fiiting 650B wheels (and fork) to my Santa Cruz Superlight. Then we will have the full stable:- Santa Cruz Superlight with 26" wheels Santa Cruz Superlight with 650B wheels Santa Cruz Tallboy with 29" wheels Then I will be able to judge for myself.

I'm interested in doing just that to my Superlight as well. Let me know if you hear of any interesting information regarding doing this.

I heard something that really got me thinking - and should be probably do so for everyone considering this route - apparently Specialized will NOT be doing any 650B bikes next year. Apparently the rationale is that the in between wheel does not offer enough of an advantage to offset the weigh penalty of a slightly bigger wheel. In effect, all that is created is a slightly heavier, more sluggish 26er.

Now, when a bike manufacturer who ploughs millions of dollars into R&D arrives at a conclusion like that, I think you gotta listen. (BTW, I know Scott are dropping 26 and only doing 650B etc.)

Food for thought, or fuel for the fire...

Not a 650 fan, and not contemplating one, but more likely just marketing bull, they probably didn't manage to get a proper design out in time.