Who is riding a 650b?

Vetseun

I'm interested in doing just that to my Superlight as well. Let me know if you hear of any interesting information regarding doing this.

Mike ( Mike's Bike - Greenside) has a customer who has already done this conversion to his superlight. Maybe contact Mike for the details.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Not a 650 fan, and not contemplating one, but more likely just marketing bull, they probably didn't manage to get a proper design out in time.

Agreed. Or they realized their frames all have enough space to run 650b so they are dissing it in the meantime till they tighten up the space on their 26ers and make 650b specific frames. I'm not synical at all I swear.

Ok so can I accept that if I build up a 650 b that I will be the only hubber riding one?

Please I need to make a decision and would appreciate some feedback on the 650b experience.

i had two..... loved it. riding 29er hardtail now. just funds keeping me from still riding it. i "tried the 29er" and would have to sell everything to go back to 650. would love to build a Rocky mountain dually . even a Spez Epic 26er would be an awesome conversion.

I heard something that really got me thinking - and should be probably do so for everyone considering this route - apparently Specialized will NOT be doing any 650B bikes next year. Apparently the rationale is that the in between wheel does not offer enough of an advantage to offset the weigh penalty of a slightly bigger wheel. In effect, all that is created is a slightly heavier, more sluggish 26er.

Now, when a bike manufacturer who ploughs millions of dollars into R&D arrives at a conclusion like that, I think you gotta listen. (BTW, I know Scott are dropping 26 and only doing 650B etc.)

Food for thought, or fuel for the fire...

Cannondale have been doing testing on and off over the last while as well as race testing, although nothing signifigant coming out of them yet.

i had two..... loved it. riding 29er hardtail now. just funds keeping me from still riding it. i "tried the 29er" and would have to sell everything to go back to 650. would love to build a Rocky mountain dually . even a Spez Epic 26er would be an awesome conversion.

Yes it is and I love mine!

If they didn't come up with something new, you guys would stop buying stuff.

OH go squeak somewhere else... anti consumerist... lol whistling.gif

sorry agent to bum off your post but ive got a 26"HT bike at home doing nothing. only doing marathons at the moment so using the 29r, you guys and gals think it will be worth converting the 26" HT to a 650B????

I heard something that really got me thinking - and should be probably do so for everyone considering this route - apparently Specialized will NOT be doing any 650B bikes next year. Apparently the rationale is that the in between wheel does not offer enough of an advantage to offset the weigh penalty of a slightly bigger wheel. In effect, all that is created is a slightly heavier, more sluggish 26er.

Now, when a bike manufacturer who ploughs millions of dollars into R&D arrives at a conclusion like that, I think you gotta listen. (BTW, I know Scott are dropping 26 and only doing 650B etc.)

Food for thought, or fuel for the fire...

From the company that said 29r was a niche...

post-32242-0-28980100-1351505080_thumb.png

Rocky already has a 650 smile.png

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/24/first-look-2013-rocky-mountain-650b-altitude-trail-bike/

Edited by covie

Mike ( Mike's Bike - Greenside) has a customer who has already done this conversion to his superlight. Maybe contact Mike for the details.

I believe so. They are the guys that got me thinking this originally.

Not a 650 fan, and not contemplating one, but more likely just marketing bull, they probably didn't manage to get a proper design out in time.

Quite plausible. They are known for not rushing things to market, unless they're 100% sure.

sorry agent to bum off your post but ive got a 26"HT bike at home doing nothing. only doing marathons at the moment so using the 29r, you guys and gals think it will be worth converting the 26" HT to a 650B????

Not all 26" frames will take a 650b wheel, take a look at http://www.650bpalace.com/

Maybe you will get lucky and your frame is compatable.

I believe so. They are the guys that got me thinking this originally.

I am going to get Mike to do the conversion on one of our Superlights later this year.