Unhappy: Run-around from Omnico

Wazza_pe

Took my Easton EA90 Aero to my lbs because another spoke had broken. When they phoned Omnico to get spokes, they were told not to repair it, but to send the wheel to Omnico for repairs (seemingly due to some recall on bad spokes or something). The wheel was collected by their courier 5 weeks ago, and believe it or not, I am still waiting for it. Now it sounds like they don't even know where the wheel is.

Surely if they've lost my wheel, they are responsible to replace it, and surely it doesn't take more than 5 weeks to sort this out? Wouldn't they have insurance for something like this?

Happens at the best of places. The difference is how they fix it.

Call them and ask nicely to speak to the MD. I have had a couple of dealings with them and they seem to be decent people.

If that doesn't work, THEN cause k@k!

Edited by jmaccelari

iv worked there and truth be told this time of year it is hectic there!!! think mc donnalds in a mall on a end of month saturday. you wheel cant be lost unless lost in transit. i do know all wheels was rebuilt using brass nipples instead of watever they came out with. pm me and i will put you in touch with the right person

Omnico is complicating the Easton wheel issue unnecessarilly. They seem to insist that bike shops send it back to Omnico for some hocus-pocus wheel treatment. At the end of the day, these wheels are no different from others. Some of them have funny spokes with threads at both ends. Even these are just standard spokes with threads at both ends. Nothing to them.

Bike shops should stop believing the nonsence they're told about these wheels and repair them on the spot, as the customer waits. It is al crime having to send a wheel to some distant location for a simple spoke repair.

The same goes for Omnico's lefty forks and Fox shocks. All of this should be a local, in-house repair. Omnico should think about investing in skills at the bike shops instead of frustrating customers with long waits.

Do you have insurance, I think the wheel is gone!!!!!!

That should be Omnico's worry not the client.

Important thing with wheels is that repairing or building them is no dark art. If you cannot do that find your wheelbuilding guru and stick to him like a leech. There were no wheelbuilding gurus in Angola so I became my own guru. Easy to stick to!!!!!!!

Edited by eccentric1

I had a problem with them too. The thread of the headset on my Flash was worn after 60 hrs. The terrain I ride is dry and flat. Omnico told me that my lbs installed the part incorrectly and that they were responsible for the cost of fixing. They turn around and tell my lbs that it is my fault for not servicing the bearings often enough. Then when the new part was installed, they told my lbs that the bearings on the headset needed to be serviced every 5hours. That means that I'll have to strip my bike daily on a stage race?? How can this advice be logical? I think that they said that to cover their own asses.

Omnico should think about investing in skills at the bike shops instead of frustrating customers with long waits.

thumbup1.gifthumbup1.gifthumbup1.gif Edited by Iwan Kemp

Very poor communication between the customer, bike shop and distributor, seems to be behind a lot of these problems. How can we make this better? Can one deal directly with all the distributors? Perhaps the customer should put the facts of the case in writing and that must be passed on to distributor by the bike shop as part of the "job sheet".

I had a problem with them too. The thread of the headset on my Flash was worn after 60 hrs. The terrain I ride is dry and flat. Omnico told me that my lbs installed the part incorrectly and that they were responsible for the cost of fixing. They turn around and tell my lbs that it is my fault for not servicing the bearings often enough. Then when the new part was installed, they told my lbs that the bearings on the headset needed to be serviced every 5hours. That means that I'll have to strip my bike daily on a stage race?? How can this advice be logical? I think that they said that to cover their own asses.

I ride a flash and personally that thing is needs more service than a woman in labour... general CANNONDALE problem not omnico lbs or anything else, but hey we chose that brand so i guess we need to shut up n suck it up

Omnico ...Then when the new part was installed, they told my lbs that the bearings on the headset needed to be serviced every 5hours.

How can headset bearings be 'serviced' every 5 hours?

Perhaps they were referring to a lefty bearing reset, which is in the user manual and should be done on a regular basis, as well as greasing the needle rollers but thats generally user do-able. You just need a BB tool and some cable ties to do that.

The same goes for Omnico's lefty forks and Fox shocks. All of this should be a local, in-house repair. Omnico should think about investing in skills at the bike shops instead of frustrating customers with long waits.

That would be great but but unrealistic. There are a few guys worldwide who are great on the Lefty, Craig at Mendon does more than his fair share of Lefty work in the US because the lbs is either not capable or interested. Pity. But true. IMO the fork is worth the hassle of sending it somewhere to be serviced.

I agree on the wheel issue though, lbs can replace spokes, nipples and true a wheel.