How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eldron : You created this thread in 2012.

You still riding the monster bike you build ?

Nah.

To be honest I've gone off them a bit. The drop bars and relatively thin tyres make them tough/harsh to ride. Plus I'm old now :whistling:

My current favourite play thing is an old  Niner commuter bike. Fat slicks, flat bar and a carbon fork in 1x9 mode - not as cool as a MonsterCross bike but awesome for tearing up streets and the occasional dirt path... SBR is also magic on in - no worrying about uneven or dodgy tar.

Nah.

To be honest I've gone off them a bit. The drop bars and relatively thin tyres make them tough/harsh to ride. Plus I'm old now :whistling:

My current favourite play thing is an old  Niner commuter bike. Fat slicks, flat bar and a carbon fork in 1x9 mode - not as cool as a MonsterCross bike but awesome for tearing up streets and the occasional dirt path... SBR is also magic on in - no worrying about uneven or dodgy tar.

haha. then I am glad I went for 2.1 / 2.2 tires :clap:

jassis that's mooi, congrats!! I've come to realise that the mechanical disk brakes is a no-no. While attempting to fix a puncture right after a downhill descend, I b accident touch the rotor, gees was that hot! Xt for me or some other that dissipates the heat easily.

Must say I was nervous on the braking power of these mechanical brakes.

They are Sora and specific designed for STI's - must say, they are really good. super impressed with them.

this bike will only be a toy, and used for some commuting and base training on some district gravel roads.

hopefully with the tubeless tires (Maxxis Crossmark) I will never puncture ...lol

Bud please give us a spec list and a little write up on snags/issues you encountered. Your build is really spectacular.

will upload later :thumbup:

Does anyone by some stroke of luck have a set of hens teeth... I mean midges or woodchippers that they want to get rid of. I can't bring myself to pay shipping from the UK just for a set of bars.

Must say I was nervous on the braking power of these mechanical brakes.

They are Sora and specific designed for STI's - must say, they are really good. super impressed with them.

Mechanicals are really under rated! I'm busy with a Cannondale Tandem that has 105 SIT/SRAM BB7 combo and the braking is awesome.

Only real difference is the feel - mechanicals are much spongier than hydraulics. Braking power is the same but the spongy feel may put some people off (or entice people with their increased "modulation" :devil: ). I guess that's a Friday discussion...

Does anyone by some stroke of luck have a set of hens teeth... I mean midges or woodchippers that they want to get rid of. I can't bring myself to pay shipping from the UK just for a set of bars.

sorry . none with me

• 6 months later...

selling this if somebody is interested R1800

Look a few post up where a photo of the bike it was build on can be seen. - bike sold in parts now :blush:

But I build a new one for me with a Lefty fork... :whistling:

post-7189-0-59807000-1481542258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!