How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

Here’s one a mate and I put together this last week. Was a single speed gathering dust in the garage...

Momsen Str steel 29er frame

105 11 speed Groupset

Carbon rigid fork

XT Cranks

Brooks saddle

Rapide gravel bars

Nice!!

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno if its been said, but you guys realize this thread is what caused gravel bikes, right?

It's been a really cool thread.

From the early days of swapping info on how to bodge mtbs into MonsteCrossers to the current plethora of info and parts available.

Who would have thought that Ultegra Flat Mount disc brakes would ever be a thing when this thread started? Well cool.

• 10 months later...

Been riding a Giant Seek commuter frame as a gravel bike fairly regularly but never really got on with it, a harsh ride and as I was told recently 'Giant the Hilux of bikes'. Also had a steel Jamis Dragon frame built as a single speed which I sadly hardly ride even though I really liked it, 1 gear just doesn't fit into the kind of riding I do these days [emoji41]

So moved all the stuff from the Giant to the Jamis, never really understood the hype around steel but I definitely feel it is way more comfortable on the gravel than the Giant ..... 51dc8a707d8198984a5d5127c1373807.jpg7b8179d49fee8929917024f169c8e43b.jpg36fa72277b80e3f2e08fabda696c51ed.jpg

Been riding a Giant Seek commuter frame as a gravel bike fairly regularly but never really got on with it, a harsh ride and as I was told recently 'Giant the Hilux of bikes'. Also had a steel Jamis Dragon frame built as a single speed which I sadly hardly ride even though I really liked it, 1 gear just doesn't fit into the kind of riding I do these days [emoji41]

So moved all the stuff from the Giant to the Jamis, never really understood the hype around steel but I definitely feel it is way more comfortable on the gravel than the Giant ..... 7b8179d49fee8929917024f169c8e43b.jpg36fa72277b80e3f2e08fabda696c51ed.jpg

i bet you will come to love the steel frames ride. :thumbup:

That is what I am going to do with my 2014 Giant Anthem X dual suspension, for those long gravel rides............

please post pictures once complete :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Come on Oom. You know you want to....

Mmmm things falling into place but not just full suspension that'd be too easy [emoji41]

Tomorrow I'll start, so y'all will have to wait a bit to see exactly how 'different' [emoji12]

I've been following this thread for quite some time now

Finally bought myself a 29er carbon hardtail once more. Never used my road bike and thought this would make more sense as a type of gravel/road/commute bike

Considering how relatively cheap it has been- i'm stoked with the outcome.

Still a work in progress...

post-30979-0-52599800-1560495238_thumb.jpg

post-30979-0-62278200-1560495255_thumb.jpg

post-30979-0-21625600-1560495272_thumb.jpg

My contribution to this thread:

This Mongoose Meteore was bought from a mates dad. It was the proverbial town-bicycle at a facility in Mozambique. I think someone at some stage rode it into the sea because as I was stripping it there was sand pouring out from inside the tubes. Nothing on the bike was working, it was old, beat up and was quite the ugly duckling so I named it Frank Gallagher (the pic is after a lot of cleaning up was done).

The paint on the frame was peeling off and a respray would be too costly and simply too good for Frank so I decided to try powder coating. I found a place who stripped the frame and did the coating for a very reasonable price and I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

The build was made up of carried over parts from upgrades and purchases from Hubbers (crank & front tyre), CWC (cassette), Evobikes (grips, chain), CRC (seat post clamp, front wheel, XTR compatible NW ring), FARR (bar and 155 saddle) and Carbon Bicycle Repairs (2nd hand fork and they did the build).

Here is the before and after.

post-72594-0-88987800-1560499703_thumb.jpg

post-72594-0-07124100-1560499740_thumb.jpg

post-72594-0-64041100-1560499756_thumb.jpg

post-72594-0-51979700-1560499775_thumb.jpg

That is some transformation! Congrats

This Mongoose Meteore was bought from a mates dad. It was the proverbial town-bicycle at a facility in Mozambique. I think someone at some stage rode it into the sea because as I was stripping it there was sand pouring out from inside the tubes. Nothing on the bike was working, it was old, beat up and was quite the ugly duckling so I named it Frank Gallagher (the pic is after a lot of cleaning up was done).

The paint on the frame was peeling off and a respray would be too costly and simply too good for Frank so I decided to try powder coating. I found a place who stripped the frame and did the coating for a very reasonable price and I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

The build was made up of carried over parts from upgrades and purchases from Hubbers (crank & front tyre), CWC (cassette), Evobikes (grips, chain), CRC (seat post clamp, front wheel, XTR compatible NW ring), FARR (bar and 155 saddle) and Carbon Bicycle Repairs (2nd hand fork and they did the build).

This Mongoose Meteore was bought from a mates dad. It was the proverbial town-bicycle at a facility in Mozambique. I think someone at some stage rode it into the sea because as I was stripping it there was sand pouring out from inside the tubes. Nothing on the bike was working, it was old, beat up and was quite the ugly duckling so I named it Frank Gallagher (the pic is after a lot of cleaning up was done).

The paint on the frame was peeling off and a respray would be too costly and simply too good for Frank so I decided to try powder coating. I found a place who stripped the frame and did the coating for a very reasonable price and I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

The build was made up of carried over parts from upgrades and purchases from Hubbers (crank & front tyre), CWC (cassette), Evobikes (grips, chain), CRC (seat post clamp, front wheel, XTR compatible NW ring), FARR (bar and 155 saddle) and Carbon Bicycle Repairs (2nd hand fork and they did the build).

I just drooled all over my keyboard.

So moved all the stuff from the Giant to the Jamis, never really understood the hype around steel but I definitely feel it is way more comfortable on the gravel than the Giant ..... 51dc8a707d8198984a5d5127c1373807.jpg7b8179d49fee8929917024f169c8e43b.jpg36fa72277b80e3f2e08fabda696c51ed.jpg

It’s a pleasure ????

So close ... No idea what one would do with such a thing though!86df502f65691641ac4378e0037a9c71.jpgb0187eec34e939fd595413d9257d7a28.jpg

700c wheels will fit inside that frame with 35mm gravel tyres on them.

Finishing touch to make this a proper cross bike.