How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some advice lads ..... on my previous MonsterCross I ran a std (not NW) 36 tooth front chainring with a road cluster (11-25) and an XT long cage RD. I used a chain guide as the chain would fall off on bumpy 'sand roads'

On the one I'm building now I want to still use the same 36 but the frame can't take either of the chainguides I have (has a direct FD mount and BB30), have changed the road cluster for an MTB one (11-32) and using the same RD.

Whenever it did fall off it always fell off to the outside .... I do have a bashguard lying around and wondered if running the 36 with a bashguard may be a viable option?

Need some advice lads ..... on my previous MonsterCross I ran a std (not NW) 36 tooth front chainring with a road cluster (11-25) and an XT long cage RD. I used a chain guide as the chain would fall off on bumpy 'sand roads'

On the one I'm building now I want to still use the same 36 but the frame can't take either of the chainguides I have (has a direct FD mount and BB30), have changed the road cluster for an MTB one (11-32) and using the same RD.

Whenever it did fall off it always fell off to the outside .... I do have a bashguard lying around and wondered if running the 36 with a bashguard may be a viable option?

Don't see why not... 

I have it so will give it a bash, just need some gear outer then I can finish it this afternoon and try it tomorrow ... also don't want it to look like some Heath Robinson affair though  :eek:

Its already a Heath Robinson affair... what is it, is it a road bike with fat tyres, mountain bike with road bars.. ?  :ph34r:

Its already a Heath Robinson affair... what is it, is it a road bike with fat tyres, mountain bike with road bars.. ?  :ph34r:

I'm afraid the Bikehub fashion police may disapprove and point and laugh demmit man  :whistling:

Just as an aside this was not an additional bike (and no I'm not saying that cause my wife may see ;) )

Just a frame swop between my current SSR and MonsterCross bikes, reason being :-

1) the Black carbon frame I use the 'magic gear' thing with the chain without a chain tensioner, means I go through chains quite quick. It can't take the current tensioners I have because they work on a quick release wheel

2) Since my boet has emigrated to the land of the long white cloud I hardly ride it anyway so thought that I ride the MonsterCross quite a lot the carbon black with the carbon fork would make a 'cooler' build

3) Have not given up on the SSR though will do the changes to the other frame in a day or 2 and add the chain tensioner

4) Needed new tyres for the Monstercross and the SSR ... fitted more road biased tyres to the M/cross and have a new set of Nevegals for the SSR

post-271-0-58097600-1481607755_thumb.jpeg

That Lefty looks wrong but so cool at the same time  :thumbup:

How much riding do you do on it?

too many bikes and not enough time :(

But yes I am riding it.

Planning a 120km gravel road trip with it this coming Friday :whistling:  - (so much safer than road riding)

A quick 40k spin on it ..... about 50/50 tar/gravel .... that bashguard works a treat no problem even though some of the gravel section (Sun Valley road) is quite corrugated in parts :)

Feels better to ride with the 35mm road biased tyres (Trekking or something they say) vs the narrow 1.9 Hutchinson Mamba's I had on before and that is on both the tar and gravel for some reason.

Will be riding it for the 10 days we are away camping in December (would like to get in 500k's in that time if possible  :devil:

post-271-0-44568300-1481627008_thumb.jpeg

A quick 40k spin on it ..... about 50/50 tar/gravel .... that bashguard works a treat no problem even though some of the gravel section (Sun Valley road) is quite corrugated in parts :)

Feels better to ride with the 35mm road biased tyres (Trekking or something they say) vs the narrow 1.9 Hutchinson Mamba's I had on before and that is on both the tar and gravel for some reason.

Will be riding it for the 10 days we are away camping in December (would like to get in 500k's in that time if possible  :devil:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2016-12-13 at 11.53.40.jpeg

Sir, are we witnessing a Rapha Festive 500 machine?

Edited by 'Kaze Pete