How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering will '29+' tyres fit on standard 29r rims or do you need a 'wide' rim?

Apparently some can work but they usually run on a 50mm rim.

I doubt they'll fit in your frame though. Fork shouldn't be a problem.

Apparently some can work but they usually run on a 50mm rim.

I doubt they'll fit in your frame though. Fork shouldn't be a problem.

Ok thanks mate, I'll shelve that idea then.

Interesting topic this (sorry but I haven't read the whole thread), there seems to be growing trend towards bikes like this in the States. Alot of bikes is for touring (29" based) and "gravel grinders" (700c based). I'm sort of tinkering with the idea to convert my GT CX bike to something along these lines, but a new frame, wheels and disks is going to cost a pretty penny. Some cool examples:

Salsa Fargo

post-3321-0-29366600-1424727514_thumb.jpg

Trek 920

post-3321-0-47788200-1424727550_thumb.png

Edited by hansolo

The ibis hokaloogi looks very nice as well

Hakkalugi- as in, well, you can pronounce it :D

More CX than monstercross. Very cool bike.

Interesting topic this (sorry but I haven't read the whole thread), there seems to be growing trend towards bikes like this in the States. Alot of bikes is for touring (29" based) and "gravel grinders" (700c based). I'm sort of tinkering with the idea to convert my GT CX bike to something along these lines, but a new frame, wheels and disks is going to cost a pretty penny. Some cool examples:

Salsa Fargo

Fargo_3_15_grn_34f_1440x960.jpg

Trek 920

Asset_271663.png

The touring/ gravel grind/ monstercross genre has been going for ages in the states and Europe. See this thread going since '06 (one of many).

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-beg-you-more-monstercross-355649.html

The geometries are a little different to pure CX bikes - less aggressive and leaning more towards comfort and all day riding. More purpose built frames coming with rack mounts etc. More on the gravel grind/ touring side is the Spez AWOL which is one of the newest models available. Not a Spez fan, but this is a pretty cool.

Edited by Ryanpmb

The touring/ gravel grind/ monstercross genre has been going for ages in the states and Europe. See this thread going since '06 (one of many).

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-beg-you-more-monstercross-355649.html

The geometries are a little different to pure CX bikes - less aggressive and leaning more towards comfort and all day riding. More purpose built frames coming with rack mounts etc. More on the gravel grind/ touring side is the Spez AWOL which is one of the newest models available. Not a Spez fan, but this is a pretty cool.

Yeah it's basically the touring bike genre evolving due to the vast open space and dirt tracks all across the states! People have been doing the bike touring for years there.

Look up the path less pedalled on Facebook. Pretty cool they go around the US stopping at bike shops and organising q&a evenings etc.