How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

That'll do without spending any money ....

20220207_160029.jpg

20220205_145713.jpg

I'm just curious, as I have the problem on my flared drop bars, can you reach the brakes whilst riding in the drops?  I'm considering changing out my flared bars for more conventional road style bars.

54 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

I'm just curious, as I have the problem on my flared drop bars, can you reach the brakes whilst riding in the drops?  I'm considering changing out my flared bars for more conventional road style bars.

I don't like them for that reason amongst others and they also just look naff to me 🤪

Both my gravel bikes have normal road bars. I fitted them to his bike because they just lying here unused

1 hour ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Does it not depend on the amount of flare and the bars you use? The walmer bars I had on my Niner rlt allowed me to grab the brakes while in the drops .  

The bars I have now are 40cm with 5cm flare in the drops . It’s not much of a flare but that little bit gives me more confidence than bars without any flare. And I can grab the brakes with my finger tips.

2 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

What I want to know is, how many rigid forks do you have "just laying around" for all these bikes 😂🤣

To go with his 15 odd bikes 😁

2 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Does it not depend on the amount of flare and the bars you use? The walmer bars I had on my Niner rlt allowed me to grab the brakes while in the drops .  

The bars I have now are 40cm with 5cm flare in the drops . It’s not much of a flare but that little bit gives me more confidence than bars without any flare. And I can grab the brakes with my finger tips.

You're probably right, I have the older model Rapide gravel bars, not sure how much flare they have, but riding in the hoods they feel to narrow, in the drops too wide with the added problem of not being able to comfortably grab the brakes!

6 minutes ago, Pikey said:

To go with his 15 odd bikes 😁

15 that he has built this year surely? 

Edited by Chadvdw67

4 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

You're probably right, I have the older model Rapide gravel bars, not sure how much flare they have, but riding in the hoods they feel to narrow, in the drops too wide with the added problem of not being able to comfortably grab the brakes!

I also have the Rapide Gravel bars, the 460mm wide one, I manage to get to the brakes quite nicely, it looks a little strange, but they work well, but I dont have much to compare it to as far as drop bars go

10 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Still looks naff

9 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

I have a spare alloy bar that is 44 top and 51 in the drops . You are welcome to try them and if they work ,we can do a swap for yours . 

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Still looks naff

Looks cool on a girls bike though , right ? 

Edited by Pikey

Just now, Pikey said:

I have a spare alloy bar that is 44 top and 51 in the drops . You are welcome to try them and if they work ,we can do a swap for yours . 

Then you're riding on your own mate!