How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

Hoping to get some advice from you guys, built my bike using an old Large Orbea Satellite 26" frame, but the size just feels odd, not sure what is wrong, when i ride on the hoods it feels like I am really stretched out, but when in the drops it feels cramped, also when standing it feels cramped, but when riding on the flat section of the bars it feels ok, not sure what to look at changing to get the fit better?

Currently using a Rapide zero offset seat post, Rapide 460mm gravel bars and a 40mm or 50mm stem, will have to double check that

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping to get some advice from you guys, built my bike using an old Large Orbea Satellite 26" frame, but the size just feels odd, not sure what is wrong, when i ride on the hoods it feels like I am really stretched out, but when in the drops it feels cramped, also when standing it feels cramped, but when riding on the flat section of the bars it feels ok, not sure what to look at changing to get the fit better?

Currently using a Rapide zero offset seat post, Rapide 460mm gravel bars and a 40mm or 50mm stem, will have to double check that

Sounds like you have a 5° stem. You need a steeper angled,  longer stem. Try a 100mm.

I also felt the same yesterday on my ride on a new bike.

Sounds like you have a 5° stem. You need a steeper angled, longer stem. Try a 100mm.

I also felt the same yesterday on my ride on a new bike.

The stem is a 0° degree stem, I think I may have an angled stem, will give it a shot

I stand corrected it is a 7° 50mm stem, tried fitting the other stem I have, that is 110mm 17° but it is for 25mm bars ???? just my luck, will have to search the classifieds for something

Help is needed ! I want to build a 650b monster code machine ! I have a s works stumpjumper frame that I’m wanting to use. Thoughts ? I want to set it up with a rigid fork and drops obviously. Let me know if I’m barking up the wrong tree here ???? stavros

Another 'parts bin' build ... and some paint design inspiration!

May or may not get done, still in 2 minds. If I do probably a SS monstercross for something different (inspiration from the posts guys made in the gravel bike thread)59dca61275c68b90b475f1137b1f2f21.jpgaf8efbb81f4294134b141beb8e11ce20.jpg

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Tried to resist but .... my dumb gravel build takes shape. Single speed it'll be. So far the only thing I'm missing out my garage/parts bins is a seatpost. The one in there is missing critical bits

Decided just to paint the frame/fork celeste and not 2 tone but only after I've put it together and it's rideable [emoji41]b68f8387ef7c88c946d69a0570410769.jpg

I have a very good condition SPECIALIZED SOFT-TAIL ally S-Works 26er that I would like to convert to a monstercross/gravel grinder.

I have many questions:

1. With rear shock already removed, how easy/difficult is it to ‘lock out’ the rear triangle, and CREATE a hard tail?

2. would I be able to fit gravel Tyres on 29 hoops to the bike.

3. If not then I have a few pairs of 26 wheels I could use...

4. Which means it would be more of a MTB with drops, than a gravel grinder, I know...

5. The Medium frame would work well, after measuring, allowing for drops, since I also have a Large alloy Spez. S-works, and I could ride theMedium comfortably, with drops fitted....

6. Should mention the Large Spez is already fitted out as an e-bike, so will not use that frame.

All suggestions welcome, the frame really is in tip-top condition...

Cheers

Chris

post-1199-0-72594100-1619632620_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zebra

2. would I be able to fit gravel Tyres on 29 hoops to the bike.

3. If not then I have a few pairs of 26 wheels I could use...

4. Which means it would be more of a MTB with drops, than a gravel grinder, I know...

Could you maybe fit some 27.5 wheels on there with some panaracer between 40c and 50c? Here is a neat website which can help workout what size you can fit. https://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

29" or 700c wheels will fit in a 26" frame, but will obviously be limited to what width will fit, I have a 26" frame that has 700x32 tyres fitted, I am sure I could go up to maybe a 40

27.5 wheels would obviously allow a fatter tyre

As for locking out the rear suspension, in my mind I don't see it being a difficult thing to do, maybe a piece of alloy bar with holes drilled at the same eye to eye length as the shock, whether this would be damaging to frame and bearings on the bike I don't know?

Personally I'd leave the suspension in the frame and set it up harder for better pedaling efficiency, same idea on whichever fork you use. Keeping with the 2006 theme try find a RS Reba team or a Fox Float in 100mm.

Sure there is a weight penalty, but the comfort would be worth it.

700c (29") wheels will work with 35 or 38mm tyres, the frame is disc specific so look around for an old set of Stan's Crest 29er wheels. The rims are 19mm wide so they won't flatten the trekking tyres out too much and I'm sure they are reasonably easy to find used.

A side note when looking for a fork for the Spez, they have long head tubes for the frame size so rather be armed with some measurements when making the purchase.

Keen to see a dually as a cross bike, keep us posted on your progress.

I used to work for a Spez dealer around the time those Epic's were new, so if you need any advice related to that frame you are welcome to drop me a DM.

Personally I'd leave the suspension in the frame and set it up harder for better pedaling efficiency, same idea on whichever fork you use. Keeping with the 2006 theme try find a RS Reba team or a Fox Float in 100mm.

Sure there is a weight penalty, but the comfort would be worth it.

700c (29") wheels will work with 35 or 38mm tyres, the frame is disc specific so look around for an old set of Stan's Crest 29er wheels. The rims are 19mm wide so they won't flatten the trekking tyres out too much and I'm sure they are reasonably easy to find used.

A side note when looking for a fork for the Spez, they have long head tubes for the frame size so rather be armed with some measurements when making the purchase.

Keen to see a dually as a cross bike, keep us posted on your progress.

I used to work for a Spez dealer around the time those Epic's were new, so if you need any advice related to that frame you are welcome to drop me a DM.

Will DM you, but here is some more background...

My riding buddy and I did the Epic in 2005, 2006 & 2007...

Me and him on identical bikes, mine Large, his Medium.

He had a warranty claim on his frame, an unusual claim; two ‘rivnuts’ that hold the water-bottle cage came loose, or were rather ‘no longer ‘captive’.

(The bikes have THREE water-bottle mounts, so 1 not really needed...)

They spin on the bolt, in other words, not an issue if not using that mount...

Since this was a warranty claim, he transferred Brain shock, & front shock to new frame.

I thus now have a VERY nice frame, (he gave me the frame today) which I will buy a front (non-shock) fork for...

I guess if I hunt around (Omnico?), I could find a fubar shock, and simply fit it with the bearing-collar, exactly as on my Large frame...

Any suggestions as to where to start looking for a blown-out or working shock? Your suggestion DOES make eminent sense!

Thanks

Chris

Not simply about saving money, repurposing a very good frame, with disk brake mounts, that will take 29/700c wheels with modest rubber, will be a fun project.

Will DM you, but here is some more background...

My riding buddy and I did the Epic in 2005, 2006 & 2007...

Me and him on identical bikes, mine Large, his Medium.

He had a warranty claim on his frame, an unusual claim; two ‘rivnuts’ that hold the water-bottle cage came loose, or were rather ‘no longer ‘captive’.

(The bikes have THREE water-bottle mounts, so 1 not really needed...)

They spin on the bolt, in other words, not an issue if not using that mount...

Since this was a warranty claim, he transferred Brain shock, & front shock to new frame.

I thus now have a VERY nice frame, (he gave me the frame today) which I will buy a front (non-shock) fork for...

I guess if I hunt around (Omnico?), I could find a fubar shock, and simply fit it with the bearing-collar, exactly as on my Large frame...

Any suggestions as to where to start looking for a blown-out or working shock? Your suggestion DOES make eminent sense!

Thanks

Chris

Not simply about saving money, repurposing a very good frame, with disk brake mounts, that will take 29/700c wheels with modest rubber, will be a fun project.

I did that 2006 Epic. How did you know to avoid doing 2008?

The good news is that rivnuts are easy to fix  :clap:

I would guess that the only shock you'll be able to fit is that exact Spesh shock. Much as I like the bikes they tend to have a thing for designing their own standards.