A Sub 3 Argus?

TheCuban

So having achieved a 2:58 at the 94.7 (more like 93.3). What are the stats for a sub 3 result on the Argus?

First 2 thirds on Sundays ride was average on 34k's/hr and ended around 31km/hr during and after N14.

Averaging close to 37k's/hr on the Argus seems rather ambitious?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So having achieved a 2:58 at the 94.7 (more like 93.3). What are the stats for a sub 3 result on the Argus?

First 2 thirds on Sundays ride was average on 34k's/hr and ended around 31km/hr during and after N14.

Starting group is very important...

rather ambitious?

Do-able with proper training from now till then. And the right start group can make all the difference.

You have to ride another 15.7 km and undertake a bit more climbing, my guess is that you are going to be a bit short if your fitness remains the same. That extra distance will take you close to 30 mins to complete. If you don't get a start group of A to E, pretty much forget it. If you do get a good start and improve your fitness, you have to stick with the group until Chappies to make your life easier.

Sub3s are dependant on the weather, and very much the group. My first 3h was in group D I think.

The existance of a nasty SEaster on the day can dd 5-10min easily too.

What group do you start in, and how much time can you put in? Tbh there's some work to be done if you want a 3h Argus coming from a 3h 94.7

Sub3s are dependant on the weather, and very much the group. My first 3h was in group D I think.

The existance of a nasty SEaster on the day can dd 5-10min easily too.

What group do you start in, and how much time can you put in? Tbh there's some work to be done if you want a 3h Argus coming from a 3h 94.7

Don't think the start times are out yet

All very valid points. I did start in group G which I hope bumps me into a better group.

Some chaps reckon its a harder route but others rate it easier with more descents for recovery?

i done 3;04 for 94.7 cant see that i would do 3;25 argus done both a few times argus climbs get to you, and obviously there is the extra kms if current fitness is maintained def. not........you need to improve over DECEMBER and keep training when most put away the bikes,, most of the time cyclists in general end up at argus in less than ideal condition as far as fitness is concerned, dont know why but most peek around november / december and then tapper down......

i done 3;04 for 94.7 cant see that i would do 3;25 argus done both a few times argus climbs get to you, and obviously there is the extra kms if current fitness is maintained def. not........you need to improve over DECEMBER and keep training when most put away the bikes,, most of the time cyclists in general end up at argus in less than ideal condition as far as fitness is concerned, dont know why but most peek around november / december and then tapper down......

Shall we try again dipslick? It will be my 1st Argus

I did a 3:12 94.7 (this was 2 years back and the route was 97/98km) Trained trough December and was much fitter then the 94.7 and did a 3:14 at the Argus with perfect weather. Much harder then the 94.7 to do a sub 3.

I did a 3:12 94.7 (this was 2 years back and the route was 97/98km) Trained trough December and was much fitter then the 94.7 and did a 3:14 at the Argus with perfect weather. Much harder then the 94.7 to do a sub 3.

I see thanks....so not impossible.

i think its possible.

argus has like 5 significant climbs and the rest is super fast in the bunch. If you regularly train multiple 2km hill repeats, you will be able to stay with the fast guys on the hills and you wont lose them on the downhills and flats. However I think it is a tall order if you're not at least seeded in E

I did a 3:07 argus in 2010 coming off a 3:01 94.7, starting in F, and my training wasn't too special. Good luck!

I see thanks....so not impossible.

Not possible at same fitness.

A friend of mine did Argus this year in 3:09 in group A. He did 2:38 94.7 this weekend.

But saying that there is plenty of time for improvement.

Depend on your age of corse but there should be enough time to get you close enough to fitness levels and if you get a seeding not worse than group E I would say it is possible but you will have to work hard and hope for good weather on the day.

In 2004 i did both in the same year on more or less on the same level of fitness.

Argus time: 2:55 - C group

94.7 time: 2:37 - A group