Keeping lights on for safety

Chatman

A lot of cycling lights (front and back) use LED’s which can be quite visible during daylight.

What if cyclists started using their white and red lights during the day to increase visibility in a similar way to motorcyclists?

And ride single file when appropriate…!

I always have a flashy red LED on the back whenever I am on or near a road. I'm sure it makes me more visible and certainly makes me feel safer.

It is a good idea, but a lot of motorcyclist can tell horror stories of other road users not seeing them even with their lights on bright. Happened to me on my bicycle as well. I was going over a crossing and this car just turned in front of me. I nearly landed on his bonnet and I had my superbright cycle light on flash mode. Don't think that you are safer with lights on your bike, even if it makes you more visible. Always be aware of your surroundings and anticipate what drivers will do.

yes, daytime driving lights reduce the number of bike / motorbikes not being seen by other drivers. However, it reduces it, i.e. there will always be the case where someone doesn't see another vehicle, despite lights. but anything helps, great idea.

It is a good idea, but a lot of motorcyclist can tell horror stories of other road users not seeing them even with their lights on bright. Happened to me on my bicycle as well. I was going over a crossing and this car just turned in front of me. I nearly landed on his bonnet and I had my superbright cycle light on flash mode. Don't think that you are safer with lights on your bike, even if it makes you more visible. Always be aware of your surroundings and anticipate what drivers will do.

Agree, that's why I inserted the "and ride single file when appropriate…!" line.

No matter how bright your lights are, riding without being conscious of your surroundings will lead you into trouble. But I still think that it would be easier to spot a cyclist coming on my left if I was in my car if they had a light on. All the bike shops will love my idea...$$$

One of my riding buddies commute with a 1000 lumen white light on flasing mode. Even in the brightest daylight, you can see him coming a couple of hundred metres away. I'm so impressed, I've ordered one for each of my family and to hell with giving people epeleptic fits.

One of my riding buddies commute with a 1000 lumen white light on flasing mode. Even in the brightest daylight, you can see him coming a couple of hundred metres away. I'm so impressed, I've ordered one for each of my family and to hell with giving people epeleptic fits.

What light is that. I find that your high output lights have extra battery packs and are not always so practical on a road bike. I know there are other options like your URBAN lights from Light&Motion. I have one of these myself and they are pretty bright. As for the rear, I don't know of any red lights that are so bright that they are highly visible during daytime Edited by LOOK695

I had a similar output front light and had a few cars flash their lights for me to dim it. At least I knew that I had been seen.

My red rear light was a 100 lumen one - had a few queries from motorcyclists asking where I had bought

It is a Ryder 1000 lumen rechargeable light and has a smallish battery pack that straps easily to the top tube. I've used various smaller lights but they are just not bright enough in the daytime.

Hope has the District tail light, very bright but a bit expensive for some perhaps.

Lezyne has the microdrive lights which also look good.

Then exposure has the flash and flare lights as well.

• 6 months later...

Coming in from Gordonsbay this morning saw a cyclist on the N2 near Khayelitsha with black kit and helmet,no lights and only 2x small reflective strips on his lycra.It was just getting light and quite misty.I dropped someone off at the airport and saw the same guy again at Athlone.He is looking to get injured.

I find the Ryder LR45 Tail light to be very bright on the flashing mode - and its about R 100.

I can see my parents cycling ahead quite easily, even in the day time.

This one

post-37059-0-23610600-1375517510_thumb.jpg