Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

Last week Burry Stander was killed when a taxi turned in front of him. This morning a group of cyclists on Elm rd, Benoni A/H ignored a traffic light as I was crossing the intersection on green, but it gets better. They also then proceeded to block the entire lane with their 'service' car riding behind them.

So cyclists break the rules then get pissed off when car drivers also break rules.....

This by law is illegal. Where is the law enforcers to sort this out. There is a total lack of law enforcement in this country.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A while ago a chicky from the DA was shooting her mouth of about the DA organising bike lanes from Centurion to town and back to the tune of 10 million approved. Enquires to the DA revieled that they nothing about it.

I do not own a car. So travel either on my mtb or motorcycle. I have, in over 40 years of riding bicycles, had meetings with 3 cars. Once (about 1971) it was my own fault. In 1976 a car pulled out from a stop street in Greenside when I was coming back from a training ride to Alberton. In 2011 a silly woman jumped a robot in Bedfordview and I bounced off her windscreen to land face first in the road.

I ride with an atitude whereby I know I will get hurt in any accident so whether I have right of way or not, I will give right of way to anything .....

Sccariest moment .... nothing beats sliding along the tar with cars whizzing past my head in the fast lane of the M1 after a front tyre punctured..... I ride to survive!!

Here in Pretoria i have noticed that most drivers dont respect you as a fellow road user .I cross many traffic circles and you often see people on their cellphones oblivious of you the cyclist trying to cross .Many times the white lady in the the c.class speeding past you on the outside of the circle as if you dont exist .It is sometimes difficult to see a cyclist ,but i think our drivers arnt used to them and the law dont protect us enough .If this happend in france ,the taxi driver will be spending the rest of his life behind bars without a courtcase .Just hooting at a cyclist gets you into trouble in france

+1.

4-way stops and circles seem to be a weak point for our drivers... [some of them] they seem to consider it a privilege for us to be allowed to enter it.

I'm a big turbo-diesel, but my turbo isn't working, half of my fuel injectors are blocked and some of my piston rings are cracked. Do you think I'll be legal?

This could only be a Landy...

The iol article says that the accident took place in the middle of rush hour. It's quite possible that Burry was "hidden" from the taxi's view by another vehicle and vice versa?

Whilst I am the first one to look for any opportunity to remove another taxi driver from our roads, let's not convict this driver before the facts are 100% known. I've come across the odd (admittedly the aception to the the rule by a long shot) taxi driver that puts the average business man's road manners to shame.

As stated here, he hit the taxi. There may be more to this than some idiot taxi driver mowing down another innocent cyclist.

Irrespective of whether this was a lapse in concentration by Burry, a taxi driver doing what we expect from a taxi driver or just one of those accidents that were unavoidable, this was a tragic death that has robbed some of their son/brother, one of her husband, many of their friend and even more of their hero. Could he have indicated and Burry did not see the indicator?

This could be one of those things where the world conspired to take from us of a talented young athlete at an age that we are unwilling to accept may just have been his time? Sometimes, in the face of senseless tragedy, we look for someone to blame where there isn't really anyone or anything specific to blame.

EDIT: My sister was at an intersection in her car the other day when I was on my bike. When I called her later on to say "I waved, but you ignored me", she said she didn't even see a cyclist. This from someone who has had it drummed into her that cyclists are road users too.

Accidents happen, it reminds me of the first thing my mother said to me when I got behind the wheel of a car for the first time - "always expect everyone else to do the wrong thing!"

If this was "just a senseless accident", it doesn't make it any less tragic!

Edited by Jigghead

Was not there to see what happened so I cannot comment or point fingers. It is very sad. I have known Cherise for ages and I feel very sorry for her. The bottom line is that accidents happen so fast it is unreal. A lot of times it is just that an unfortunate accident. R.I.P Burry.

+1

I've only ever seen one or two vehicles actually drive aggressive/inconsiderate towards cyclists on that stretch of the N4.

only one cyclist hit and killed on that road.

I agree with your posting Jigghead. One should wait on the authorities to conclude their investigation and issue a report / statement. Untill the facts have been established, trial by media is not a good thing.

I agree with your posting Jigghead. One should wait on the authorities to conclude their investigation and issue a report / statement. Untill the facts have been established, trial by media is not a good thing.

I thought cats hated dogs?

South African roads are a bit of a joke. Everybody has an axe to grind with every other road user... Aaaah, look at these cyclists riding 3 abreast.... Aaaah, look at the asshole in the car cutting off the cyclists. Cyclists hate cars. Cars hate cyclists. Motorcyclists speed too often... Bla. Bla. Bla.

But you know what? I guarantee that every person reading this, and every hater out there has broken a road law in the last year. No? Have you done 60 or less in every 60 zone? Have you not been over the limit once? (Bearing in mind the limit is 1 beer, I believe). Until you can be honest and say you don't break any road laws, that's when the road carnage will drop, cyclists cycle safely etc. it starts with each individual. The law is the law.

P.S. I don't pretend to be innocent in all of this, I am as guilty as the next guy. I just think our perception of breaking the road laws needs a change.

I am one of those people who, according to the law breakers, cause crashes because I adhere to the speed limit. I also subscribe to Goodfellas. I have NO qualms about letting the maitre'D know that I have called them and where I am sitting. I will NOT risk trying to live with myself if I cause a crash, and if I'm breaking the law it will be a crash, not an accident. I do not ride my bicycles without a helmet nor my motorbikes without ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Yes, I know this makes me abnormal and a "party pooper" but I really don't give a rats' ass if people judge me for being responsible.

The answer is much deeper than just cyclists. It is the attitude of the average South African in respect to the law and toward his fellow citizen. He feels he is above the law and comes first and foremost to all others. We are far from what we should be to be classed as a first world nation where our country not only has a first world approach in business, politics, education, etc, but its citizens have a first world mentality towards the state as well as the community of fellow citizens as a whole.

Unfortunately one cannot change the minds and hearts of what we have here very easiy so my guess is things will get a lot worse before they will get any better. Unfortunately for all of us.

TRUE! But, 60??? Someone's brain is still operating in oxwagon mode. Yes, I do break the speed limit. But, when I see slower traffic, cyclists, pedestrian, because I anticipate and scan the road consistently ahead, I slow down. And no, I'm not perfect, nobody is. Oh, over the limit, YES, a couple of times. Then, I drive much slower than the speed limit. And use roads that the cops won't be on. A sober dirver who drives like an idiot, will drive more than an idiot when hes drunk.

I hope you get caught one day for driving over the limit and get locked in a cell with a guy who f..s you in your anus! It is guys like you who killed my daughter two years ago because you think you know better. Your day will come.