Race entry fees

big.mamma

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Annoys me so much. Also very expensive to get a racing liscense from CSA if one wants to do provincial champs.

Decided to just race socially for now while I'm still studying.

Don't know, I find the cycling race entries very cheap. Did the Journey for Sight last week at R85 and most upcoming events are at between R100 and R200.

I also do triathlon, and that's a rip off. Most small events are around R400 with much less facilities than the average cycle race puts on. The 70.3 half Ironman I'm doing this weekend costs R2000 and the full Ironman R4000.

Ja, I've decided against doing a race every month this year. Actually, my wallet bit me in the ass and said 'No way Hosè' - bloody everything is a rippoff nowadays. Kid's schooling is costing me R2500 per month sheesh. Groceries R5000.

Supply and demand boys. If you can't afford races don't do them. This has been debated to the T on the hub before. Races are expensive to host many many hidden costs

Supply and demand boys. If you can't afford races don't do them. This has been debated to the T on the hub before. Races are expensive to host many many hidden costs

Many big pockets to fill. Race timing, race entry traffic are all a rip off by greedy service providers.

Doesnt make it right Sharkie, however, i now only do races i know to be exceptionally planned, great routes, and brilliantly executed. The rest ill do if I am bored insane or just feel like wasting money.

Edited by covie

Several good points guys, R100-00 for an event is fine but what gets me going is the minute an event is a Cycletour seeding event they double the entry automatically.Knowing very well that they will get a good turn out, Buggers.

The cost doesn't end at the entry, usually have to drive a fair whack, food ect. A triathlon in the winelands is a good R1k for the day (half day) but that a similar cost to taking your lady out for the night - dinner, taxi, movies/club ect.

LOL i remember the days where it was common to race every weekend (bike races, running races, duathlon or tri) and even twice a weekend sometimes the only limiting factor was physical....

The cost doesn't end at the entry, usually have to drive a fair whack, food ect. A triathlon in the winelands is a good R1k for the day (half day) but that a similar cost to taking your lady out for the night - dinner, taxi, movies/club ect.

Slight difference 200 million to make the movie 30 million to make the cinema, 5 million to build the restaurant 4 million to grow the food you eat, you are getting ripped a new one. Thats the bottom line, events are mainly sponsored as well so people are pocketing nice amounts for hardly any effort.

Edited by covie

Is it only the super rich doing races? Race entry for 50 km R 200.00. Who is getting rich out of this?

Well ghen dont do the race, people have no problems paying 80 bucs for a pizza which requires very little effort in comparison to ghe cost and effort involved in orginising a race, entry fees for sports such as triathelons are much higher than cycling, stop winging and pay your entry fee or just dont enter and take part, go and have a pizza and a few beers with ur 200bucs and move even closer to a heart attack

Well ghen dont do the race, people have no problems paying 80 bucs for a pizza which requires very little effort in comparison to ghe cost and effort involved in orginising a race, entry fees for sports such as triathelons are much higher than cycling, stop winging and pay your entry fee or just dont enter and take part, go and have a pizza and a few beers with ur 200bucs and move even closer to a heart attack

Pizza and a few beers generally better value for money if you ask me.