I took out a tonsil on a bike today

DIPSLICK

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm this is a predicament whistling.gif, Atlas road has 2 lanes in each direction, plus the yellow line

Prohibition on driving on shoulder of public road, except in certain circumstances

• Subject to sub regulation (2) and regulation 298 (1) (e), no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

• Notwithstanding sub regulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction
    • while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

• if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

• if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

To summarise it is legal to move onto the shoulder of the road (within the yellow lines) depending on circumstances’ … during day, safe to do so, good visibility and if it is on a single lane road.

Exactly so.

No worries, I assumed incorrectly but did wonder as I know that when I asked my gardener about why he rides against the traffic he saw it as 'self preservation' - 'I want to see the cars so they don't ride me over from behind'

I can see the sense in that actually. I'd prefer to take evasive action, rather than not know what the hell hit me. I'll just keep riding me my bush bike on pavements/sidewalks and in the bush as far as possible. That said, he should have given way to you.

If we as cyclists are MEANT to adhere to the same rules of the roads as motorists then I am sure we should cycle in the same direction as Motor cars

and in the middle of the road ph34r.png

dipslick I bet you did'nt think your innocent encounter this morning would have resulted in 8 pages of chit chat.....or did youph34r.png

dipslick I bet you did'nt think your innocent encounter this morning would have resulted in 8 pages of chit chat.....or did youph34r.png

nope i was thinking one or two tree huggers will call me a gangster, dangerous,violent,(me MR COOL CALM AND COLLECTIVE) DID NOT SEE THAT COMMING,,,,,, SEE WHAT I DONE THERE "SEE IT COMMING"

Dipslick..... PM me the tonsil's contact details, I want to send a medal to the one that ties his shoelaces

• 4 months later...

Going about my daily commute to work, i look ahead and see one of these "clever" cyclist who think riding into the traffic is a good idea. There is a steady flow of traffic on my right as it is peak hour traffic, i know i cant go right to avoid this tonsil, he sees me comming(the leagal road user)so in my opinion he must get out of my way since i cant move right(lots of traffic).So when we meet i hold my legal line on impact i push hard left to make sure if i go down i hopefully fall at least on top of the tonsil not a car....i manage to stay up him not so much, i turn around to make sure he is ok,(small scratches on knee and arm) So TONSIL decides to start swinging and swearing at me!!!!! he rather should have left his wounds at scrathes and hurt ego.Now he can add sore ringing ear to his problem..I know there is another thread about how this cycling practice making sense, i did not feel strong enough about it to even comment today i made up my mind,its keep left for a reason, ill see tomorrow if he goes left or right hand side of the road.

Hit a pedestrian this morning. He and his 3 mates decided to try and push me off the bike. Saw them prepare the ambush, Elbow is a bit sore from hitting the bloke in the chest,

Hit a pedestrian this morning. He and his 3 mates decided to try and push me off the bike. Saw them prepare the ambush, Elbow is a bit sore from hitting the bloke in the chest,

Good job, hope he is hurting more, these creatures need to learn we not soft targets

Where did this happen?

Morons like this really p*ss me off. It's illegal, dangerous and bloody stupid. The other day I turned left around a corner in my car only to find an MTBer in the road riding the wrong way towards me. How the tonsil survived not getting hit by my two and a half ton vehicle amazes me. I presume this was a supposedly intelligent and well employed individual judging by his bike. Why do so many cyclists brains disappear up their arses when they get on a bike?

Morons like this really p*ss me off. It's illegal, dangerous and bloody stupid. The other day I turned left around a corner in my car only to find an MTBer in the road riding the wrong way towards me. How the tonsil survived not getting hit by my two and a half ton vehicle amazes me. I presume this was a supposedly intelligent and well employed individual judging by his bike. Why do so many cyclists brains disappear up their arses when they get on a bike?

good question. noted another level of darwinism the other day, when a roadie decided to ride down the wrong way in the road, right next to a dedicated cycling lane. Some people are just so much better than everyone else....

i commute almost everyday and have this situation almost everyday .

i have learnt to point at the muppit and show them they must go into the on coming traffic ( im in the right and im keeping left , they should keep to their left too )

so far so good . still dont under stand why you would ride on the wrong side into on comming traffic .

sorry you had a tangle up this morning .

Yep. Exactly what I do. And to runners running in the road...

The same reason so many people's brains disappear up their asshole when they get behind the wheel. Nothing to do with the mode of transport utilised, it's the poephol utilising the road.

As an aside though, these people that say as long as the two riders give way to the left of each other. I'd love to actually witness this in traffic, especially free flowing or peak hour traffic.

Where did this happen?

Next to the Pretoria Botanical Gardens. Used that same route again this morning, but there is a mental thing now. It is as if every freaken padestrian is out to get me now. Had two ladies that refused to give way, and kept walking next to each other and not behind each other. And they were wide enough to carry wide load warnings on them...