Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not talking kickback. Talking about drag on the chain due to the idler pulley.

oh , I'd imagine it being very little ...if the pully in there is high quality 

*side question :

If one rides with oval chainrings and now buys a high idller bike , will the oval still work the same ?

considering the chain will wrap around A different part of the chainring in relation to your leg-knee position vs. A normal drivetrain setup 

oh , I'd imagine it being very little ...if the pully in there is high quality

*side question :

If one rides with oval chainrings and now buys a high idller bike , will the oval still work the same ?

considering the chain will wrap around A different part of the chainring in relation to your leg-knee position vs. A normal drivetrain setup

Should work the same. The point at where the chain makes contact with the chainring shouldn't have much of an effect on your pedal stroke, you would still be putting down power in the same place of your stroke.

For ex: you can still produce power on the upstroke (ie pulling) even though there is no chain making contact with the corresponding place on the chainring in your pedalstroke.

I would just imagine that the chainring gets worn a bit faster because the chain makes contact with fewer teeth at any one time meaning the distributed load is a bit higher at any given time when compared to a normal bike. If it is the case it won't concern me much though as lifetime of a good chainring is pretty long to begin with and they aren't too expensive to replace.

Manufavturers will just have to startmaking some long chains! Anyone know how many links in these high pivot bike chains?

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Whyte S150  :w00t:

On Saturday I had the privilege of riding the Whyte S-150 at Glentress MTB Trails Park in Scotland. 

I was meant to ride a cheap Trek that I booked for £25. The Brits ride with their front brake lever on the right and back on the left  :thumbdown:. When I asked them to swap it around they could only manage it on the Whyte that was going for £80 for the day. So they upgraded me at no extra cost  :clap:

I manage to ride some of the Red (Difficult) trails and Blue (Moderate) trails that were super fun! I am Roady at heart but I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on a bike! The bike handled like a dream and I never imagined that a 29er could be so nimble. I am a little bummed that there aren't any amazing trails close to home.  

My mate, that is a local at Glentress, uses a Banshee Spitfire 650b.

post-43518-0-23448200-1534766745_thumb.jpg

post-43518-0-50741200-1534766816_thumb.jpg

post-43518-0-15353700-1534766836_thumb.jpg

Whyte S150  :w00t:

On Saturday I had the privilege of riding the Whyte S-150 at Glentress MTB Trails Park in Scotland. 

I was meant to ride a cheap Trek that I booked for £25. The Brits ride with their front brake lever on the right and back on the left  :thumbdown:. When I asked them to swap it around they could only manage it on the Whyte that was going for £80 for the day. So they upgraded me at no extra cost  :clap:

I manage to ride some of the Red (Difficult) trails and Blue (Moderate) trails that were super fun! I am Roady at heart but I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on a bike! The bike handled like a dream and I never imagined that a 29er could be so nimble. I am a little bummed that there aren't any amazing trails close to home.  

My mate, that is a local at Glentress, uses a Banshee Spitfire 650b.

attachicon.gifwhyte.jpg

attachicon.gifS-150C_RS.jpg

attachicon.gifS-150RS_18_side.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmm a sexy Banshee Spitttttyyyy!

The Brits ride with their front brake lever on the right and back on the left  :thumbdown:

Don't most people ride like this ? o_O I know I do.