Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

They have a lot of cool looking wheels on that site.

Google translate screwed them on the names though...

Love these black ones for a stealth Chinese carbon framed Singlespeed project.

post-2885-0-19888100-1372194835_thumb.jpg

These for a project for the Mrs.

post-2885-0-28849900-1372194822_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents arranging a meeting with Dengfu for later this week, any questions for them

Photos photos photos

Gents arranging a meeting with Dengfu for later this week, any questions for them

I am interested in the new 27mm wide clincher rims. If you can give some feedback on finish etc

Let me guess.... To setup up an agency in SA and up the prices? :whistling:

Let me guess.... To setup up an agency in SA and up the prices? :whistling:

Doubt it. Theres no good business plan for that. What's stopping me and you from doing this. Velobuild was an attempt at this and failed.

Unless you can get the stop supplying a certain frame and supply only to you....

I can't see it happening... But then again what do i know?

Doubt it. Theres no good business plan for that. What's stopping me and you from doing this. Velobuild was an attempt at this and failed.

Unless you can get the stop supplying a certain frame and supply only to you....

I can't see it happening... But then again what do i know?

+1

I totally agree that there is no good business plan for it... (it could work though if one aint greedy)

Other than Velobuild there is another so called "brand" here in SA from which you could import cheap cheap previously and since they are here I personally feel their prices are waaaaaay overpriced. (and no its none of the guys here in Cpt currently branding under their own names)

But knowing the Chinese its all about money... Show them money and they will bend over in any direction possible, specially if you go to the trouble of going over to China and deal with them face to face.

+1

I totally agree that there is no good business plan for it... (it could work though if one aint greedy)

Other than Velobuild there is another so called "brand" here in SA from which you could import cheap cheap previously and since they are here I personally feel their prices are waaaaaay overpriced. (and no its none of the guys here in Cpt currently branding under their own names)

But knowing the Chinese its all about money... Show them money and they will bend over in any direction possible, specially if you go to the trouble of going over to China and deal with them face to face.

Agree after going through the process it really is very easy, and I think more and more people will start bringing in stuff for themselves and their friends. The world has really become a smaller place, I do however think it is a zero threat to the big brands...Trek, Spez, Niner....I think I know which "brand" you talking about and yes, they will feel it most definitely.

There are at least 5 companies that supply each type of frame via the net so it is impossible to tie up supply.

Take carbonal as an example: website lists RRP of $599 $379 on the Gaea (this is exactly how it looks on their site, crossed out), a supposed discount of $220. Wholesale bulk pricing is then another $10 off for 50 units and another $10 off for 200 units.

The frame can be found on 4 different websites, all roughly in line with this pricing.

Rouxtjie ordered a frame from me, including bars, seat post, stem, collar, headset and spare hanger for R7,000 with a local 5 day replacement warranty.

For various reasons (which are contributing to my premature ageing) I could not supply his preferred frame and he ordered direct for a few rand under R6,000, without bar, seat post or stem. My "margin" was R1,000 less the cost of a carbon bar, carbon seat post and carbon stem!

The importation of frames is a not a viable business, it is offered as a service for those who don't want to deal themselves.

+1

It always starts off with a limited agency, ie show us sustained sales figures over 12 months and then we can talk exclusivity.

Many start, many fail...

It always starts off with a limited agency, ie show us sustained sales figures over 12 months and then we can talk exclusivity.

Many start, many fail...

Totally with you there.... If you don't have at least a couple million randellas to buy stock and then a couple more for marketing etc it will never be a viable business model. Yes there are millions of these china frames and YES THEY ARE GOOD AND GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY but people will ALWAYS prefer well know established brands. That's just how the human race roll...

Tell Dengfu there is a new chinese mall opening on the corner of Republic and Jan Smuts in Randburg. My suggestion is they open a store there and sell direct to the public.

Totally with you there.... If you don't have at least a couple million randellas to buy stock and then a couple more for marketing etc it will never be a viable business model. Yes there are millions of these china frames and YES THEY ARE GOOD AND GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY but people will ALWAYS prefer well know established brands. That's just how the human race roll...

Exactly, if i really had the $$$$ i wouldn't think twice about getting known brands. But not sure it would be as much fun, building and sourcing the parts is where most of the fun is.

There are at least 5 companies that supply each type of frame via the net so it is impossible to tie up supply.

Take carbonal as an example: website lists RRP of $599 $379 on the Gaea (this is exactly how it looks on their site, crossed out), a supposed discount of $220. Wholesale bulk pricing is then another $10 off for 50 units and another $10 off for 200 units.

The frame can be found on 4 different websites, all roughly in line with this pricing.

Rouxtjie ordered a frame from me, including bars, seat post, stem, collar, headset and spare hanger for R7,000 with a local 5 day replacement warranty.

For various reasons (which are contributing to my premature ageing) I could not supply his preferred frame and he ordered direct for a few rand under R6,000, without bar, seat post or stem. My "margin" was R1,000 less the cost of a carbon bar, carbon seat post and carbon stem!

The importation of frames is a not a viable business, it is offered as a service for those who don't want to deal themselves.

Yea definitely not going to make big tom and if you don't do it for the love of it or to help people out you are going to come short. You simply can't throw a sticker kit on a frame and sell it for twice as much here because you gave it a cool name. Which is what "that brand" is doing as mentioned by BogusOne, people will see through it.

Oh I had some extras in my order so if I just took the frame $379 and shipping $150 according to the exchange rate used at the time my order would have come to R5500.

The trick as you mentioned is to make the most of the shipping when you can, but as a first stab, I first want to see what I get ito goods and experience before I order again. If all goes well, I will bring in more stuff next time maximizing the shipping. I will add a grouporder on thehub and everyone that wants to ride with can...sort of what we do with CRC

And the biggest problem with chinese carbon frames is the preconceived idea that the majority are bad yet pretty much everyone who has bought and dealt with the chinese have not had a problem and been happy with what they are buying. I for one have been doing it for years accross the spectrum on items.

And as mr Booth points out, is getting grey hairs just trying to build a brand and overcome that preconcieved idea with a minimal mark up to pay for the hair dye!! haha

How many come on this thread and ask am still wary, is it ok, do they crack just by looking at them, yet after 20 pages there are no gripes from anyone who has a chinese frame... yet people are still wary!

It will be a difficult if not impossible to grow such a business, my hat off to those who try!!