Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

Ok, so after 2days, 6hours and 13min's of reading through this thread!!! Hahaha!!!

I've gone with the easier way of just ordering a carbon 29er HT frame from Mr Booth! Turns out he doesn't have stock and I'll have to wait a week or so. But I'm still happy with my decision, cause if something goes wrong I have someone local to sort it out. Less hassle for me!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't want to do it yourself, go to Josh at cyclist's workshop. Good guy :thumbup:

He is close to the leaping frog centre in lonehill, just of william nicol

Thanks Rouxtjie, I am based in Paulshof so that is very convenient.

Can someone please give me the contact details for Josh or cyclist workshop????

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice, much appreciated!

At this stage Hongfu is the best at getting back to me and their engrishh is the best by far.

I have decided to go for the 29er HT...and to exercise more :eek:

Will let you know how things go...and yes I will post pics :thumbup:

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice, much appreciated!

At this stage Hongfu is the best at getting back to me and their engrishh is the best by far.

I have decided to go for the 29er HT...and to exercise more :eek:

Will let you know how things go...and yes I will post pics :thumbup:

Don't know if you mentioned earlier but which 29er frame are you going with?

Ok, so after 2days, 6hours and 13min's of reading through this thread!!! Hahaha!!!

I've gone with the easier way of just ordering a carbon 29er HT frame from Mr Booth! Turns out he doesn't have stock and I'll have to wait a week or so. But I'm still happy with my decision, cause if something goes wrong I have someone local to sort it out. Less hassle for me!

Sounds like a plan, as I don't know my BB from my seat post so safer if I don't order anything ... Safest way to get a fairly unique steed ... Think I should go 29" DS :-)

Ok so a bit of promised feedback of the Carbonality GAEA aka SweatyBetty after a couple of rides...

Right so lets get the negatives out of the way.

The rear internal cable routing makes it harder than normal to get the rear wheel in and out of the dropouts, this might be the result of the small piece(about 8cm) of gear cable outers, I see a couple of guys mentioned it on MTBR as well. If you are in a hurry and start pulling hard you could hurt something but not a train-smash. Also the matt UD finish, although very nice is a bitch to keep clean. Its like its a magnet for dirt and dust. The gloss finish might be a bit easier imo....would I still choose matt finish...yes, cause it looks hot

Ok now for the good. I love the geometry, and sitting on the bike gives me instant confidence. Its not as racy as some of the other chinese frames I suspect. It also climbs very well, it is stiff and light, the two non-neg properties you want in a carbon frame. It also has a little built-in metal plate that will act as a guard should you drop the chain, but with a shadow+ DR there is little chance of that happening. Where Betty really comes alive is the singletrack. I paired it with a Reva RLT and I am loving life. I really feel confident when shooting around the twisty stuff, and I feel more in control than on my gary fisher. The bottom bracket also has sufficient clearance. The thing that really stood out was its sharpness for a lack of a better term, it felt like I could thread a needle with it, a feeling I never had on my DS....

Summary

This a great 1-day, 3-day stage event bike, its light, didn't break the bank and if you throw a bit of money at it (AM Classics / Light fork / XX1 / XTR) it will be a proper racing machine. I have a mix of XT / XTR components, hope II & Crest mix with a Reba RLT....with this built it performs extremely well but also doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Its also fun to build, deciding on finish, BB and custom decals....If you are considering the GAEA but not sure about carbonality or the quality maybe this post will re-assure you.

Ok so a bit of promised feedback of the Carbonality GAEA aka SweatyBetty after a couple of rides...

Right so lets get the negatives out of the way.

The rear internal cable routing makes it harder than normal to get the rear wheel in and out of the dropouts, this might be the result of the small piece(about 8cm) of gear cable outers, I see a couple of guys mentioned it on MTBR as well. If you are in a hurry and start pulling hard you could hurt something but not a train-smash. Also the matt UD finish, although very nice is a bitch to keep clean. Its like its a magnet for dirt and dust. The gloss finish might be a bit easier imo....would I still choose matt finish...yes, cause it looks hot

Ok now for the good. I love the geometry, and sitting on the bike gives me instant confidence. Its not as racy as some of the other chinese frames I suspect. It also climbs very well, it is stiff and light, the two non-neg properties you want in a carbon frame. It also has a little built-in metal plate that will act as a guard should you drop the chain, but with a shadow+ DR there is little chance of that happening. Where Betty really comes alive is the singletrack. I paired it with a Reva RLT and I am loving life. I really feel confident when shooting around the twisty stuff, and I feel more in control than on my gary fisher. The bottom bracket also has sufficient clearance. The thing that really stood out was its sharpness for a lack of a better term, it felt like I could thread a needle with it, a feeling I never had on my DS....

Summary

This a great 1-day, 3-day stage event bike, its light, didn't break the bank and if you throw a bit of money at it (AM Classics / Light fork / XX1 / XTR) it will be a proper racing machine. I have a mix of XT / XTR components, hope II & Crest mix with a Reba RLT....with this built it performs extremely well but also doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Its also fun to build, deciding on finish, BB and custom decals....If you are considering the GAEA but not sure about carbonality or the quality maybe this post will re-assure you.

Lekka review rouxtjie.... I'm with you on the matte...

Would you do it again? Hell yeah!!!

Lekka review rouxtjie.... I'm with you on the matte...

Would you do it again? Hell yeah!!!

For shiz, already planning the next one....its a disease I tell you

Honest question:

With the prices mentioned and inherent risk (or not), why not just order an On-One carbon? Won't be much more for the frame, but at least you will get a reputable brand with warranty back up.

Honest question:

With the prices mentioned and inherent risk (or not), why not just order an On-One carbon? Won't be much more for the frame, but at least you will get a reputable brand with warranty back up.

I did look at the on-one but they were a bit porker, at least the frame that was within my budget(5 gorillas)...The frame weighed over 1300g. My chinaman weighs 1170g on kitchen scale. Why won't I have warranty backup with my chinaman? If their service up until now is anything to go by, I cant see this being a problem(I have a 2 year warranty with my GAEA). I also preferred the GAEA's geo to the on-one, but that is a personal thing. I explored every avenue before I pulled the trigger.

Edited by rouxtjie

Honest question:

Honest answer:

Me personally not a big fan of the shape of the carbon onOne. Also i really like the look of the blank carbon. And lastly the OnOne carbon compares to the "high-end" carbon frames. You can bring in 29er frames for under 3.5k I've brought in 2 and they are great!!!

PS! I ride a On One Steel SS so nothing against the brand

Honest question:

Agreed, I bought from OnOne, < R4000 for a good carbon mtb frame, landed, but then again they could not supply the carbon fork I wanted, out of stock for three months!!!!, so I had to go the China route!