Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

Sent out, been through customs and sorting center on the 13th of August and since then... Nothing! nothing on EMS sapo website, have called 300000 times.. Contacted supplier to query it twice now, hey assure me that it will be here in a weeks time.. That said, a weeks time was 1st of September. So i contacted them last week monday again, if its not here by next week Friday, im claiming my money back and forgetting this whole story.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sent out, been through customs and sorting center on the 13th of August and since then... Nothing! nothing on EMS sapo website, have called 300000 times.. Contacted supplier to query it twice now, hey assure me that it will be here in a weeks time.. That said, a weeks time was 1st of September. So i contacted them last week monday again, if its not here by next week Friday, im claiming my money back and forgetting this whole story.

If it has been through customs then you will have a local tracking number for your parcel and as such will be logged in the system , check on parcel track http://www.parceltrack.co.za/

Did you ask for it to be sent to your house or a PO Box? Either way, write down you local tracking number on a piece of paper and take it to your local PO, sometimes the notification in your PO Box or letterbox goes missing and the item is at your PO. With the piece of paper they can check at the PO on their system.

They have arrived!!

Finished them last night - look forward to giving them a go this weekend

They the new 27mm wide rims - but they seem VERY tight in the brake calipers. Calipers got no more give to widen up and cant pull lever down

Will get there though

Frame should arrive Monday/Tuesday :clap:

Very nice, care sharing info/specs & approx cost?

Supplier?

Selected a built wheel or custom?

Decals done locally?

I'd be keen for a set of FCC's eventually, just worried about hub bearings/freehub backup, also if spokes are bladed etc

Very nice looking job!

Edited by Clinton - theCOW

Very nice, care sharing info/specs & approx cost?

Supplier?

Selected a built wheel or custom?

Decals done locally?

I'd be keen for a set of FCC's eventually, just worried about hub bearings/freehub backup, also if spokes are bladed etc

Very nice looking job!

Rims are 27mm wide 56mm Aero rims. Complete build with Powerway hubs (clinchers)

Bought from DengFu, paid USD500 for them USD90 for shipping and R400 for duty etc.

Decals got from Tyrone (on the Hub) gave him direction on what i wanted and he designed and printed them for me. Applied them myself

Tires are specialized turbo Pro - got them overseas haven't seen them in this country

As mentioned the problem i have now is getting the breaks to work, the rims are very wide and i need to find a way to open the calipers more - any ideas?

Assuming the brakes are at the max, cable tension is not playing a part.

Do all makes of brake calipers open the same width (Shimano vs SRAM vs Campag vs KCNC)?

Are there any shims/spacers between the brake block/holder and the caliper itself?

Use the brake blocks and wear them down a bit? Problem will exist again once you replace the pads tho.

Good luck

As mentioned the problem i have now is getting the breaks to work, the rims are very wide and i need to find a way to open the calipers more - any ideas?

What brakes are they? If Shimano, there is an allenkey screw at the top of the calliper. The one "above" the "A" in Ultegra that alters the clearance of the pads.

http://www.labicicletta.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1293x798/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shimano-ultegra-brake-calipers.jpg

edit: but I find it strange that you say they don't open up enough because if I loosen the cable on my Shimano Dura Ace 7800's, it opens up a lot wider than 3.5cm.

Edited by Helpmytrap

Assuming the brakes are at the max, cable tension is not playing a part.

Do all makes of brake calipers open the same width (Shimano vs SRAM vs Campag vs KCNC)?

Are there any shims/spacers between the brake block/holder and the caliper itself?

Use the brake blocks and wear them down a bit? Problem will exist again once you replace the pads tho.

Good luck

Released all cable tension, will check for spaces didnt check that

i think i must be doing something wrong as i have searched the web this morning and didnt find any related problems.

got a few tips so will try tonight

brakes aside, the rims are really nice and feel quite a bit lighter than my old rims (mavic ksyrium elite)

My frame from cycling yong took a month

They have arrived!!

They the new 27mm wide rims - but they seem VERY tight in the brake calipers. Calipers got no more give to widen up and cant pull lever down

Will get there though

Looks very nice Lone One. Looking forward to your review. Which brake-set are you using?

What brakes are they? If Shimano, there is an allenkey screw at the top of the calliper. The one "above" the "A" in Ultegra that alters the clearance of the pads.

http://www.labicicletta.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1293x798/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shimano-ultegra-brake-calipers.jpg

edit: but I find it strange that you say they don't open up enough because if I loosen the cable on my Shimano Dura Ace 7800's, it opens up a lot wider than 3.5cm.

brakes sorted, there were spacers in between the cartridge removed and work perfect! Going to give the wheels a go in the morning

They have arrived!!

Will get there though

Little review:

Went for a solo ride yesterday morning (as all people in JHB will know) the weather is probably Shi&t this weekend - def not good for deep suction wheels however couldn't resist!

On the open road with a tail wind - awesome ride rims are as stiff as anything, new tires also seem to roll smoothly.

Quite loud ride when going over rough sections, but was kinda expecting. Using cork brake pads and front rim shrieks like mad (back no problems) so will look into this, maybe some impurity on the front wheel

In the cross winds, could def feel the wheels been pushed to the side

The ride is quite a bit harder and fairly twitchy compared to my old wheels, assume it is due to the stiffness and no give.

In a nut shell, very pleased look forward to riding some more when the wind dies down.

Little review:

Went for a solo ride yesterday morning (as all people in JHB will know) the weather is probably Shi&t this weekend - def not good for deep suction wheels however couldn't resist!

On the open road with a tail wind - awesome ride rims are as stiff as anything, new tires also seem to roll smoothly.

Quite loud ride when going over rough sections, but was kinda expecting. Using cork brake pads and front rim shrieks like mad (back no problems) so will look into this, maybe some impurity on the front wheel

The ride is quite a bit harder and fairly twitchy compared to my old wheels, assume it is due to the stiffness and no give.

In a nut shell, very pleased look forward to riding some more when the wind dies down.

What wheels were you using previously? Post some pics of wheels and bike as well

Little review:

In my limited experience, give the cork pads a few rides. In terms of noisy? What i do, is use plumbers tape, and wrap around the valve area to prevent the valves from knocking the rims. Reason being most of the longer valves dont have the nut to secure it in the room, wouldn't take a chance on the carbon anyway!

Little review:

Little review:

The valve thru the deep section causes a rattling noise on all rims on rough terrain, either insulation tape on the valve or since i have tubbies, i used 1 of those thin little rubber rings off a tube to put tension on the valve to 1 side to a spoke to quieten it a bit, wasn't going to remove and re-glue a tubby.

Brake squeal, check that the pads are touching toe then heel when they contact. If the heel contacts first, it may cause the noise. Can't think of any other reason for the squeal right now.