Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

Does anyone have insurance on there chines carbon bikes and had to claim? Once built will probably go through cyclesure?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am toying with the idea of going for a Chi - Rosa 888 super king. Just not sure on what size frame. I am currently on a merida 54cm race lite 904 . I would asume that i would go for the same size frame .

Edited by Duimpies

Does anyone have insurance on there chines carbon bikes and had to claim? Once built will probably go through cyclesure?

Yes I do, before you build, check the inside of headtube give that to cyclesure.

You seem to have some knowledge. The rigid fork, how harsh a ride is it?

I have tried riding with my standard fork locked out and it is a rough ride, will the carbon rigid have a bit more "give" to give a smoother ride?

I have one of these forks on my Momsen STR and as Meezo says its no suspension but the ride is not bad at all. Less vibrations as with say a steel rigid fork as it has a bit more give and you get used to it pretty quickly. Loving mine for sure.

Was initially planning on fitting my Reba but will keep it for when I build my Tallboy in the future.

Question on this though; where do I find a spare hangar? Been struggling to get hold of one.

Question on this though; where do I find a spare hangar? Been struggling to get hold of one.

Booth should carry spare hangers

Booth should carry spare hangers

He's having some issues at the moment getting them it seems. He is busy sorting it out though. I'm just trying to work out a backup plan if he doesn't come right before sani. Wondering if a Spez Epic hanger wikk work?

• 3 weeks later...

well!

one month later, and I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous Chinese Carbon road bike!

for anyone who's still undecided, i say, take that plunge!

here's my tale:

spent ages deciding what frame to buy, which manufacturer to use, and if i had the cash to afford it. i settled, after many emails and much calculations, on the Flyxii FR322 frame, as i previously mentioned. their communication wasn't wonderful, but we understood each other. payment made, and tracking number provided on Easter Weekend.

First hiccup. tracking number tracked to arrival in South Korea! heart in mouth, preparing for the worst, i sent the mail and they responded that the mailroom guy had screwed up - no rice for him that evening! - and they would resend.

they did. took 8 days to arrive, and it was only really delayed in the JHB INT MAIL CENTRE. it was there for 3 days before i got antsy, drove around searching for it, found it, only to arrive and be told the package has been dispatched earlier. at my local PO.

went there, and found it without hassle, and paid my R120.00 extra fees for who-knows-what?

Second hiccup. box looked badly damaged, but still sealed. paid my money, and held my thumbs all the way home that some snot eating crotchfeasant at the PO hadn't used my frame as a lunchtime stool!

got home, and voila!

frame was perfect. wrapped nice and tight in dense foam, fork in between, and headset in a teeny box, i almost missed it! unwrapped, and a little carbon dust on hands, but wow! what a stunning frame - gorgeous matt finish, very consistent, and looks just as good as anything on the LBS floor. Tapered fork was beautifully constructed, and headset looked proper quality.

i had asked a bunch of lbs what the cost to build over components from the old frame, but eventually decided that i would just try it myself!

went to Solomons this morning, who seated the fork headset race, and sold me some cable ends and a BB removal tool - also gave me some good tips and answered my inexperienced questions - came home this evening, and started.

took a bit to strip the old frame, and made haste. used my work provided plumbers pipe cutter to cut the steerer (thank god that actually worked!) and a nail file to smooth it all out.

cue lots of YouTube videos on installation procedures.

fitted headset, and the most fun was feeding the gear cables into the nicely provided tubes running internally.

everything else was a breeze! literally too easy! only things left now, are to replace front and rear gear cables (they're too short!) and set the derailures!

so build is as follows:

3T alu bars and Doric Team carbon seatpost

Ritchey comp stem (change to 3T ASAP!)

Spez Romin Pro Carbon saddle

Ultegra 6700 shifters with 6600 Components

Shitty alex training wheels which are soon to be ditched in favour of Carbon Clinchers

gonna keep it all unbranded till i find something interesting enough to waste time on!

all in all, i must say that despite being extremely apprehensive at first, i have had the most fun buying a bike part, and am more excited than ever to ride! i have now ordered two sets of Chinese Carbon clinchers, 60mm & 38mm, and have decided to use them whenever i feel like it, no more designated "race" set. if they can ship to SA first time round, ill be smiling in a few days!

TL:DR awesome experience, stunning bike, on the cheap!

will post pics once the carbon wheels arrive!

Nice stuff....

Congrats! I've sent you a pm. Sorry for the late responses. Other PM's I'm gonna try and respond ASAP

PS. For those keen @babse is selling he's 50mm U-Shaped Lightweight tubbies...

PM him. Or me... Check out the Chinese carbon wheel thread. The pics are there

well!

one month later, and I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous Chinese Carbon road bike!

for anyone who's still undecided, i say, take that plunge!

here's my tale:

spent ages deciding what frame to buy, which manufacturer to use, and if i had the cash to afford it. i settled, after many emails and much calculations, on the Flyxii FR322 frame, as i previously mentioned. their communication wasn't wonderful, but we understood each other. payment made, and tracking number provided on Easter Weekend.

First hiccup. tracking number tracked to arrival in South Korea! heart in mouth, preparing for the worst, i sent the mail and they responded that the mailroom guy had screwed up - no rice for him that evening! - and they would resend.

they did. took 8 days to arrive, and it was only really delayed in the JHB INT MAIL CENTRE. it was there for 3 days before i got antsy, drove around searching for it, found it, only to arrive and be told the package has been dispatched earlier. at my local PO.

went there, and found it without hassle, and paid my R120.00 extra fees for who-knows-what?

Second hiccup. box looked badly damaged, but still sealed. paid my money, and held my thumbs all the way home that some snot eating crotchfeasant at the PO hadn't used my frame as a lunchtime stool!

got home, and voila!

frame was perfect. wrapped nice and tight in dense foam, fork in between, and headset in a teeny box, i almost missed it! unwrapped, and a little carbon dust on hands, but wow! what a stunning frame - gorgeous matt finish, very consistent, and looks just as good as anything on the LBS floor. Tapered fork was beautifully constructed, and headset looked proper quality.

i had asked a bunch of lbs what the cost to build over components from the old frame, but eventually decided that i would just try it myself!

went to Solomons this morning, who seated the fork headset race, and sold me some cable ends and a BB removal tool - also gave me some good tips and answered my inexperienced questions - came home this evening, and started.

took a bit to strip the old frame, and made haste. used my work provided plumbers pipe cutter to cut the steerer (thank god that actually worked!) and a nail file to smooth it all out.

cue lots of YouTube videos on installation procedures.

fitted headset, and the most fun was feeding the gear cables into the nicely provided tubes running internally.

everything else was a breeze! literally too easy! only things left now, are to replace front and rear gear cables (they're too short!) and set the derailures!

so build is as follows:

3T alu bars and Doric Team carbon seatpost

Ritchey comp stem (change to 3T ASAP!)

Spez Romin Pro Carbon saddle

Ultegra 6700 shifters with 6600 Components

Shitty alex training wheels which are soon to be ditched in favour of Carbon Clinchers

gonna keep it all unbranded till i find something interesting enough to waste time on!

all in all, i must say that despite being extremely apprehensive at first, i have had the most fun buying a bike part, and am more excited than ever to ride! i have now ordered two sets of Chinese Carbon clinchers, 60mm & 38mm, and have decided to use them whenever i feel like it, no more designated "race" set. if they can ship to SA first time round, ill be smiling in a few days!

TL:DR awesome experience, stunning bike, on the cheap!

will post pics once the carbon wheels arrive!

Know exactly how you feel with regards to the actual fun building and sourcing all the parts!! Road bike was done last year and I have already started preparing for my MTB build this year. Every time i walk into my LBS i get an instant feel of been ripped off with the bikes on offer and the prices they charge when i know how easy it is to do your own build. Happy riding

Please post pictures!

And who said Solomon's weren't prepared to help cyclists and give advice!

Aghtar and everyone were super helpful and loved seeing the bike in the flesh today! I love Solomons and they definitely will keep getting my bike money. Always a good atmosphere, actual interest in my needs, and I like their brands a lot. Prices are great too...

The bike is almost done, just need a new chain and online barrel adjuster that I'll fetch from kiwi tomorrow, before figuring out that tricky damn front mech!

Will lower my standard and post pics tomorrow! Just want a good one in the sunlight...

Then, wheels baby! Order placed last night!