Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

Aghtar and everyone were super helpful and loved seeing the bike in the flesh today! I love Solomons and they definitely will keep getting my bike money. Always a good atmosphere, actual interest in my needs, and I like their brands a lot. Prices are great too...

The bike is almost done, just need a new chain and online barrel adjuster that I'll fetch from kiwi tomorrow, before figuring out that tricky damn front mech!

Will lower my standard and post pics tomorrow! Just want a good one in the sunlight...

Then, wheels baby! Order placed last night!

Looking forward to see the pics

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, here is the pic, as everyone was too impatient!

the light sucked this morning, but best pic so far.

first test ride this morning, and very very impressed! the frame is stunning, and the ride quality is superb. i haven't ridden any top end bikes, but this is sublime! very stiff and responsive - when you stomp in the pedals, it accelerates like a cheetah on cocaine, and absolutely no sideways flex in the frame. you feel the road bumps, but don't get hurt by them, and absolutely no vibration or road buzz, even with the alu bars. bike is Velominati Silent, and is so so awesome to ride!

looking forward to losing the heavy wheels and riding something much smoother.. but that's in a few weeks time, and will be for another thread:)

Enjoy!!

post-43682-0-89226300-1400393488_thumb.jpg

That is HOTT. Congrats boet!!!!! now for those lekker wheels :drool:

first test ride this morning, and very very impressed! the frame is stunning, and the ride quality is superb. i haven't ridden any top end bikes, but this is sublime! very stiff and responsive - when you stomp in the pedals, it accelerates like a cheetah on cocaine, and absolutely no sideways flex in the frame. you feel the road bumps, but don't get hurt by them, and absolutely no vibration or road buzz, even with the alu bars. bike is Velominati Silent, and is so so awesome to ride!

looking forward to losing the heavy wheels and riding something much smoother.. but that's in a few weeks time, and will be for another thread:)

Enjoy!!

Enjoy!!

Very nice looking. Well done!!

Enjoy!!

Weight?

Thinking of a set of unbranded clinchers (for training). The decals on my branded tubbies is so rubbish it has come off after a few months. Somma pissed.

Weight?

Mate not yet weighed... And not sure where I'd get hold of an appropriate scale!

Haven't built it with weight as a major factor, as I'm quite heavy myself... But it is light, and once the carbon wheels are on, I'm sure it should be sub 8kg...

Ok..

Nearly 2 months later and I have a Chinese Carbon road bike.

My story:

As with most cyclists (I presume), there was a fair amount of trepidation when thinking about a chinese frame (build quality, rip off, etc). I spent a fair amount of time going through this thread, doing research until I took the plunge :) and I have not looked back!

When my racing bike (name branded) had some serious cracks in it I decided it was time for a new bike, I went to all the bike shops, looking, comparing prices, parts, looking again...did a fair amount of window shopping. However the bikes I was looking at were fairly pricey...the frames alone where more than the total build of my chinese bike.

I then got chatting to Meezo (BIG UP to him for taking all my questions), I ordered my frame from dengfu and my groupo from merlin, the groupo was ordered on a friday and delivered the next monday (WOW). The frame took a bit longer but was understandable (the worst part is the wait.....). When the frame arrived I was quite literally blown away, the build quality was incredible, it felt a little heavier than a brand frame, and by heavier i am presuming +- 200 grams, I am however going to try and offset this by using carbon bottle cages and carbon handlebars :P . I am no carbon expert by any means but I have 2 brand carbon frames and on one of the frames (the above mentioned cracked frame) you can literally push the frame in and hear the carbon creak in certain sections, not the case with my new FM098.

Once the frame arrived I took it to bogus one for a custom spray job, and let me tell you it looks AMAZING!! Thanks Bogus one :)

The bike is now at the bike shop being built up, I will post pics of the bike once built.

...I doubt I will ever buy a branded bike again, it is not only cheaper to build up your own bike (when compared to big name brands) but its also fun :)

The worst part of the entire process was the waiting.

Mate not yet weighed... And not sure where I'd get hold of an appropriate scale!

Haven't built it with weight as a major factor, as I'm quite heavy myself... But it is light, and once the carbon wheels are on, I'm sure it should be sub 8kg...

climb on bathroom scales holding bike, then do again without the bike... subtract to get the difference and an idea of the bike weight :)

Ok..

My story:

As with most cyclists (I presume), there was a fair amount of trepidation when thinking about a chinese frame (build quality, rip off, etc). I spent a fair amount of time going through this thread, doing research until I took the plunge :) and I have not looked back!

When my racing bike (name branded) had some serious cracks in it I decided it was time for a new bike, I went to all the bike shops, looking, comparing prices, parts, looking again...did a fair amount of window shopping. However the bikes I was looking at were fairly pricey...the frames alone where more than the total build of my chinese bike.

I then got chatting to Meezo (BIG UP to him for taking all my questions), I ordered my frame from dengfu and my groupo from merlin, the groupo was ordered on a friday and delivered the next monday (WOW). The frame took a bit longer but was understandable (the worst part is the wait.....). When the frame arrived I was quite literally blown away, the build quality was incredible, it felt a little heavier than a brand frame, and by heavier i am presuming +- 200 grams, I am however going to try and offset this by using carbon bottle cages and carbon handlebars :P . I am no carbon expert by any means but I have 2 brand carbon frames and on one of the frames (the above mentioned cracked frame) you can literally push the frame in and hear the carbon creak in certain sections, not the case with my new FM098.

Once the frame arrived I took it to bogus one for a custom spray job, and let me tell you it looks AMAZING!! Thanks Bogus one :)

The bike is now at the bike shop being built up, I will post pics of the bike once built.

...I doubt I will ever buy a branded bike again, it is not only cheaper to build up your own bike (when compared to big name brands) but its also fun :)

Cool for the feedback and thanks

You will get more enjoyment and a sense of achievement if you build the bike yourself rather than let your LBS do it.

The only reason the waiting was nerve wracking was because you had not done it before, next time it will be a breeze!!

We look forward to the pics and many happy kms !!!

Enjoy!!

Very nice - is that a carbon saddle??

Very nice - is that a carbon saddle??

That is correct. Spez romin pro! Got that bad boy on special, so super stoked... It's a brilliant saddle.

Ok..

My story:

BogusOne is Legend.

Bike looks ...... Ooops i didn't see it yet!!

Nice stuff Oracle!

So my question is that the frames you buy, is it not from the same places where the broken chinarellos come from? Are you not worried the fork or frame will break on a down hill when you hit a pothole?

So my question is that the frames you buy, is it not from the same places where the broken chinarellos come from? Are you not worried the fork or frame will break on a down hill when you hit a pothole?

What you seem to be implying is, that a branded frame from any other well known manufacturer, like pinarello, colnago, Scott, giant, etc etc, don't ever fail?

Why don't you worry about the same thing on your branded bike?

Perception. We get lulled into believing its safe, cause it must be, right? Like south Africans tenancy to think that doing 120 on the highway is fine, but 122? Now you're going at an "unsafe" speed.

Anyway, I did a lot of searching, and it seems that fake bikes fail just as often as the real thing.

I'm 100kgs, and the roads around Bedford are some terrible ones... And it's held up to the punishment on my rides so far.

You got links, references and tangible facts with regard to broken chinarellos that you can advise with regard to your statement or is it just a throw away comment because have done no research and assume that because it is a chinarello that it is an inferior build?

Perhaps a mate of a friend of a friend advised so... And therefore must be fact!

Before stating baseless assumed incorrect facts, you might provide confirmation of such failures to back up your concerns