Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for these.

I have a De baron and De Kaiser Projekt as well as a few other conti's. Right now running Onza Ibex, but I feel I need to change them. Well at least back one

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Sorry to hear you got injured on our trails Brenton. I know the corner you got hurt on, but it is usually open. Unfortunately with the winds that area gets it changes daily and we rely on riders to clear dangerous branches for others when riding.

I will go have a look this weekend again to see how that bit can be made a bit better.

Sorry to hear you got injured on our trails Brenton. I know the corner you got hurt on, but it is usually open. Unfortunately with the winds that area gets it changes daily and we rely on riders to clear dangerous branches for others when riding.

I will go have a look this weekend again to see how that bit can be made a bit better.

Hey Nico, it wasn't an actual broken branch on the trail - it was one of those little sharp nubbin things that stays on the tree (about an inch long) after you break off a branch. It was just too close to the trail in that particular situation, so when Brenton washed out it was there to greet him

but it's been taken care of thanks to a leatherman saw.

Only thing I can think of that may have prevented it was berming the corner, but then the corner wouldn't have been off camber :)

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I have a De baron and De Kaiser Projekt as well as a few other conti's. Right now running Onza Ibex, but I feel I need to change them. Well at least back one

We obviously not gonna get them in SA in 27.5 or any size for that matter.

Ja, sure did.

An awesome Dr Odendaal, an ex SADF medic, cleaned it out and stitched it up in a matter of minutes. Super cool. No pain.

Gonna see him later today to see if external stitches can be removed yet.

Specially opened up his office to sort it out chop chop.

Got internal and external stitching done as damage was pretty deep inside.

Missed main artery and damaged no muscle tissue, nerves or ligaments. 

No bleeding whatsoever throughout or pain.

Crazy thing is that If I had braked any less or later & not lay the bike down the branch would have gone through my face/head or throat or severed the artery in my arm. Pretty wild.

Interestingly enough I knew I shouldn't  have gone to Paarl, but blew it off instead.

Even got a txt before leaving to rather come ride the new black trail at Jonkers.

Turned that down as I felt I gave my word to go ride with others and don't like going back on my word. There's more going on around us than we realise ... we just need to pay attention to the detail.

... speak out loud though .... to myself ... as I keep playing the incident back through my mind.

It is the mountain after all ... like going for  a surf.

Never turn your back on the sea or waves.

Aaaaagh , just talking nonsense now.

Be safe out there 

Happy Trails

That's hectic Dude. Sorry to hear but glad you came out ok(ish). Heal up soon!!

This is where my money is going the next month instead of carbon wheels which after having a friend talk some sense into me I couldn't justify spending the money on 26" carbon when the next bike will be 27.5...

Anyway, shock will be a big upgrade as I've currently got my fox pumped pretty high in psi to deal with my lardiness so I'm not getting the best out of the compression settings etc. That and the fact that it is going to looks so good on the Slayer didn't take much to justify the purchase. Also going to go for the Ti spring to save some weight... As well as riding more to lose weight on my body instead of paying R1000's to save a few grams - It's like free weight saving. I should eat a tape worm to get best results. ;p

http://nsmb.com/cane-creek-double-barrel-coil-climb-switch/

post-43699-0-35434900-1443678030_thumb.jpg

Edited by BaltazarMarques

Anyone know if Dainese trail skins knee guards are available locally?

http://www.fc-moto.de/WebRoot/FCMotoDB/Shops/10207048/5330/0240/63B9/0022/9D5D/4DEB/AE41/94A2/TRAIL-SKINS-KNEE-GUARD.jpg

Anyone know if Dainese trail skins knee guards are available locally?

http://www.fc-moto.de/WebRoot/FCMotoDB/Shops/10207048/5330/0240/63B9/0022/9D5D/4DEB/AE41/94A2/TRAIL-SKINS-KNEE-GUARD.jpg

Just watch out for knee gaurds that has velcro in those positions, it can create a chave spot when pedaling (especially when wearing it on the ups too)...I have heard of a few okes complaning about it.

Edit: because the edge of valcro is quite hard...so can feel like a knife cutting

Edited by hayleyearth

Just watch out for knee gaurds that has velcro in those positions, it can create a chave spot when pedaling (especially when wearing it on the ups too)...I have heard of a few okes complaning about it.

Edit: because the edge of valcro is quite hard...so can feel like a knife cutting

Cool, thanks for the advice. Most reviews suggest they are not a problem but worth keeping in mind. Mostly getting a list of options together and trying to see if these are viable. Seems the Dainese are falling to the bottom of the list now.

What would you guys recommend for all day pedalling ( Knee and elbow guards)...I have those g-form stuff and they keep slipping down so not very impressed with them..

What would you guys recommend for all day pedalling ( Knee and elbow guards)...I have those g-form stuff and they keep slipping down so not very impressed with them..

The trick is to buy them when you're skinny, and slowly keep putting on weight as time goes on.

In terms of all day... I generally don't wear elbow guards. When I do, I find the G-form ones to be pretty comfy and they should offer ok protection. I have had others but find they slip down very easily

As for knees though, I want something a little more than a magic chamois strapped to my knees. Although that Smartie vs hammer demo tricked me into buying G-form knee guards in the first place, I have subsequently opted for something with a hard cap.

As mentioned before, I realy like my TLD KG 5400s. Can ride in them all day.

Edited by patches

I have these... https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/52700320

After an #enduro 2 weekends ago after my 2nd beer I got asked why I have not removed my knee pads yet...yes they are THAT comfy. I ride up with them in place too.