Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

The fact that I don't need a cumbersome pack for my long rides anymore. It's comfortable and convenient. And light.

And cheap.

How does it compare with riding with an XC jersey that has pockets?

I actually got given a Specialized Swat vest which has pockets, but I haven't worn it yet because I don't get why I wouldn't just wear an XC jersey.

I have to admit that half the reason I ride with a pack is for something soft to land on.

Edited by niterider

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer loose fitting t-shirts to the XC type cycling tops.

Further, this sits tight, and I mean tight. Even with a full waterbottle in the one pouch I experienced no flopping around on my back - this drives me insane with a pack and I experienced this with normal tops too.

Finally, the pouches are incredibly secure. In the two rides I did I rode some rattly and rough trails and nothing moved, nevermind fell out.

Sure it won't be ideal to fall on my back with all that stuff in there, but to be honest I think people overestimate the effect of a pack on their back and further underestimate the force of a fall - if there's a hard and pointy object in your pack, chances are you'll still know about it if you have a proper off onto your back.

I won't go riding DH with this, but that's hardly its intended use anyways.

I just want an alternative to a pack which makes me feel more like an Actual Mountaineer rather than All Mountain rider.

Pretty certain 80% of people out there reckon te SWAT tech is a gimmick (because Spez did it you see). But if I can go packless on a 4 hour ride and still have access to everything I need on a ride, then that's a gimmick I'll take everyday of the week.

And did I mention it's as cheap as Indola products, yet far superior (the baggies are light, look great, fit well and the bibs don't cut circulation to your legs and you don't feel like you are wearing a diaper)?

R1600 for the combo. Bib is R900.

Two years ago I paid R1600 for a Castelli bib, and I don't feel any difference in quality or comfort.

Spez did something right here.

Not bad for the bib...

Yup, and the baggies are the cheapest I've come across. Royal, One, Fox are all more expensive from what I've seen of late.

But I won't buy another full combo (probably). Just a bib and some cheap boardshorts from Mr. Price should do the trick.

Sure it won't be ideal to fall on my back with all that stuff in there, but to be honest I think people overestimate the effect of a pack on their back and further underestimate the force of a fall - if there's a hard and pointy object in your pack, chances are you'll still know about it if you have a proper off onto your back.

You obviously don't fall off as much as I do :)

Sounds like I must give my swat vesty thing a try then.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got any opinions on the MET parachute and the Bell Super 2r? 

Trying to decide between the two.

I believe the MET has better certification for downhill, but to be honest I'm trying to decide which one looks better?

What worries me about the MET is that the padding seems to stick out the chin guard thing  :wacko:

post-41965-0-76438800-1430831446_thumb.jpg

I believe the MET has better certification for downhill, but to be honest I'm trying to decide which one looks better?

What worries me about the MET is that the padding seems to stick out the chin guard thing  :wacko:

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Not sure if you have seen this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/bell-super-2r-vs-met-parachute-helmets-44178/

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Apparently the only reason that the MET has the better certification is that the Bell can't get it due to the fact that it is collapsible ie the chin and head portions are 2 separate pieces. Met is a one-piece lid so it qualifies. 

The Bell super 2R is awesome. You basically always have the chin bar in your backpack, and only install it when things start to look sketchy. TBH if you are riding stuff that need a proper DH helmet, you'll be wearing one anyway. The Parachute is overkill for most of our trails, so you will look silly wearing it the whole day. Even the Bell doesn't look that great with chin bar installed. ( Compared to a normal DH helmet.)

Go for the Bell.

Thanks for the responses guys. 

I currently race enduro and downhill, so I need something for both, and thought one of these would be the answer. 

I currently have a MET helmet, but it's not a half-lid or anything. 

Next year I'm gonna be travelling around the world with my new bike, Canyon Strive, and will be riding bike parks all over the place. So I think I will need some sort of full face, maybe I should just go for the real thing? 

Did see that, which makes me lean towards the MET. But I'm not gonna ride with a helmet with padding sticking out the side of my face  :eek:

Especially if you have chubby cheeks :lol: