Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

What you end up paying?

Nothing cheap, but better than full price.

R1000

Been putting off getting a set for the last 1.5 year's now.

Honestly I am sure which other pedal could be compared to the dx, maybe mallets - but that's crank brother's and apparently high maintenance, so I steered clear.

The first things I noticed about the pedals Was weight, grip and overall support from the cage, and dent in my wallet[emoji4]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing cheap, but better than full price.

R1000

Been putting off getting a set for the last 1.5 year's now.

Honestly I am sure which other pedal could be compared to the dx, maybe mallets - but that's crank brother's and apparently high maintenance, so I steered clear.

The first things I noticed about the pedals Was weight, grip and overall support from the cage, and dent in my wallet[emoji4]

Any reason you didn't just opt for the more trail orientated shimano's as opposed to a full blown DH pedal?

Any reason you didn't just opt for the more trail orientated shimano's as opposed to a full blown DH pedal?

Yes there is,

Firstly I rode xc pedals so I know lightweight. Therefore I considered the XT trail pedal. And my tiny XT pedals even got in the way sometimes, smashing rocks n roots etc. So XTs and similar was considered.

Then it came down to support, xc pedals dud not stop my feet from "rolling" around the pedals, especially during climbs when I'm cranking it. So I needed a box that would prevent the rolling. XT was still an option but the DX had a wider base for the sole of my shoes to seat. DX was more in the light at this point, however I would still consider XT Cz of price.

performance, I could not say Cz I never used it before. Only pro semi pro comments and reviews. However I had both the DX, XT, 424 and 545 or some sort of numbers like that, in my hands. Could feel that dx would give more grip.

Longevity. Well some one I know who swears by dx , has used all the similar shimano s as well as XT, and says dx can take the most beating. Might be stroke of luck. But I believe him.

Maintenance, dx works on cup and cone bearings, so thing like that. Mechanic sold me when he informed me on what to do in terms of maintenance. Basically just tighten the one nut he pointed out from time to time. Other pedals like the 424 and 545 did not have this.

And then, aesthetic reasons. Looks good too. And u prefer saving and buying something I am sure will last me a good 5 years minimum.

post-41583-0-04901000-1426674617_thumb.jpg

post-41583-0-98879000-1426674677_thumb.jpg

Edited by TAAHIRWP

• 3 weeks later...

Pads....

I am sure this has been discussed but this thread is huge... So just looking for a simple answer :)

Getting into Enduro and looking at the 661 Rage elbow and knee pads? Will these give me enough freedom to tackle the climbs without being too uncomfortable? 

I am currently using the 661 Riot knee pads. If I had to get new ones, I would go for the Rage, as the Riot only has one Velcro strap at the top and because of that, they tend to slide down when pedaling.

Other than that, they are quite comfy....

Elbow yes. Knees donno.

I run the Elbows for every ride other than road(yes i have considered it here).

I currently wear some lizard skinz shin guards and they work the bomb. (Flat pedal bite prevention)

My raceface knee/shin pads are horrible for the uphill as they chafe just above the knee.

I would replace the elbow's with same in a heartbeat. I have considered getting the knee guards however ill likely go for the Leatt Knee/Shin guards now. 

A buddy of mine has the Rage knee and elbow pads. Although they offer great protection, he mentioned they are a bit to bulky for long days on the bike and long climbs.

I use the IXS Flow pads, really comfy, after a while I forget about them and they don't move or slip down at all. 

Royalty Sports  are the local distributors. I would guess that they would be your 1st point of contact to find a retailer who stocks their product.

I tried that and they don't reply to email on any of their contacts. Seems I am stuck to import.

A buddy of mine has the Rage knee and elbow pads. Although they offer great protection, he mentioned they are a bit to bulky for long days on the bike and long climbs.

I use the IXS Flow pads, really comfy, after a while I forget about them and they don't move or slip down at all.

The flows lack side protection, how have they worked when taking a fall so far?

Action cycling has the ixs carve, so I think international trade probably brings them in now, I'd go with those.

Currently using the ION pads, awesome. I climb with them as well, not the coolest but ya I climb with them and fallen with them and they awesome.

The new leatt pads looks good as well?

What's the big deal here? The fact that bib shorts are comfy, or that it has storage pockets?

The fact that I don't need a cumbersome pack for my long rides anymore. It's comfortable and convenient. And light.

And cheap.