LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I have been on and off a LCHF diet for a while now. Every now and then I loose my way and then it takes me a while to get back in.

Could you please assist in posting your "default" menus for a "standard" day?

Something that is easy to follow.

I start the day with bulletproof coffee, and a fistful of almonds or macadamia nuts or pecans.

Then, ride to work. Then, 3 eggs with butter / cheese / sometimes as an omelette with bacon.

Lunch is usually a salad including avo, loads of olive oil, and good leafy stuff. Dinner is usually some nice fatty meat and good veg loaded with cream cheese or butter (Or both). Desert : double cream Greek yoghurt, nuts, and blueberries.

To drink. Coffee, water, or milk with 2 table spoons of cream.

Snacks, dry worse or biltong or nuts. Or just a spoon of mct oil. Or coconut oil.

Fat shake makes an appearance sometimes too when I can't control my hunger. Commuting needs lots of fuel.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks jcza.

Here's my problem, I am looking for something filling because I feel hungry between meals. Here is my menu today as an example

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with fried tomatoes, 2 strips of fatty bacon, table spoon of cream cheese and some cheddar

Mid Morning Snack - 1 whole avo

Lunch - Chicken livers fried in coconut oil with tomatoes, onions and cream and cream cheese

Afternoon Snack - 3 table spoons of double-cream yoghurt with 2 large chopped up strawberries

Supper will be chicken with broccoli and cauliflower with a creamy cheese sauce

I feel hungry between meals, for instance this morning I had my breakfast at 7.30 and by 9.00 I was hungry. Could it be because I am cheating with some chocolate after dinner most nights? I am craving sweet stuff like never before since I've gone LCHF.

Sugar cravings are a problem when you start - but they do pass with time.  

However, if you 'cheat' you tend to restart them, so is probably better not to cheat in the long run!  

(Erm, this is definitely 'Do as I say not as I do..."  :blush:  )

Ok, Anal-Annie again :-(  Guys, how do you handle it (mentally and nutritionally) when you are trying to be diligent about a training programme but work stuffs 2-3 days up... i know its not worth getting your knickers in a knot about and its also not worth trying to catch the sessions up... but yoh!  its difficult.

Is it just me?

Not just you. I find travelling is the most disruptive - out of routine, sometimes difficult to find good nutrition, etc.

Remember that you always need to look at things over time - trying to manage diet/exercise/health daily is very hard, but rather look at these things over a week long period. in other words, if looking at calories consumed, look at weekly average; with weight, compare today to last tuesday (not yesterday); with exercise, look at weekly time/distance/intensity.

Try not to stress about a wobbly day or two.

I thought I'd give some feedback on my LCHF experience over the PEPlett last week.

I have to say, this wasn't easy in terms of the catering provided by the race. The food was tasty enough, but there were no real low carb options. We had to make do with what was there, as well as supplementing with stuff that I took with.

Typically, I ate the eggs and meat choice for breakfast (With added farm butter), as well as make shift bulletproof coffee. They didn't have any cream, but I took MCT oil with me.

On the bike, I ate only fatty biltong and Dry wors. On the last 2 days, I included some nuts (Macadamia, almonds, pecans) on the bike. Plenty or water. Like 5-6 litres each stage.

The only carbs I took consciously was in my recovery drink straight after the ride each day. I have to say, I could feel the impact of this within 30 mins of drinking. 

Lunches weren't great. Basically cold meats and salad (Again, I added lots of butter). I took coconut cream with me and drank about 200ml after lunch each day.

Supper we ate the meat and salad option, again adding butter. There wasn't really enough fat, but I had also taken nuts and pork crackling (AWESOME STUFF) with me.

Days were 125km, 94km, 76km, 74km. Loads of climbing (Total of about 7500m over 4 days).

I felt plenty strong during the rides. Never felt lack of energy. Climbing was very strong.

My only concern is that by the end of day 4, there was very little fat left on the body. The veins were sticking out everywhere. Legs and Arms. I'm wondering how long this could be sustained for stage racing before depleting the bodies fat reserves... Also wondering about fat loading before going into a race like this. Has anyone done any fat loading? Any methods to suggest?

Could you please assist in posting your "default" menus for a "standard" day?

Something that is easy to follow.

Unlike Grondpad, I have reduced eating to 2 meals a day (not suggesting his approach is wrong!).  looks like this.

Work day:

Breakfast (after morning exercise): coffee with cream

Lunch(1-2pm): Salad with olive oil (2-3 tablespoons) and either avo or tinned fish of some sort or biltong shavings. The protein is a condiment - salad makes up the bulk of the meal. pre-packed salad from woolworths is hassle free but expensive option.

Dinner (6-7pm): cooked meal with main protein portion and veggies or salad. red wine. 

I try not to snack between lunch and dinner, but macadamias & fatty biltong are good if peckish. 

Weekend:
Longer bike ride / exercise so only home around 10.
Breakfast: Coffee, cream and cooked breakfast (eggs, bacon, spinach, tomato, omelette, etc)
Lunch / dinner: I generally only eat either lunch or dinner but love cooking so will often entertain over the weekends and that ends up being a big meal.

I found that my eating habits took a real change for the better when I realised that each meal does not have to be a gastronomic delight ... weekday food is fuel, view it as such.

I thought I'd give some feedback on my LCHF experience over the PEPlett last week.

I have to say, this wasn't easy in terms of the catering provided by the race. The food was tasty enough, but there were no real low carb options. We had to make do with what was there, as well as supplementing with stuff that I took with.

Typically, I ate the eggs and meat choice for breakfast (With added farm butter), as well as make shift bulletproof coffee. They didn't have any cream, but I took MCT oil with me.

On the bike, I ate only fatty biltong and Dry wors. On the last 2 days, I included some nuts (Macadamia, almonds, pecans) on the bike. Plenty or water. Like 5-6 litres each stage.

The only carbs I took consciously was in my recovery drink straight after the ride each day. I have to say, I could feel the impact of this within 30 mins of drinking. 

Lunches weren't great. Basically cold meats and salad (Again, I added lots of butter). I took coconut cream with me and drank about 200ml after lunch each day.

Supper we ate the meat and salad option, again adding butter. There wasn't really enough fat, but I had also taken nuts and pork crackling (AWESOME STUFF) with me.

Days were 125km, 94km, 76km, 74km. Loads of climbing (Total of about 7500m over 4 days).

I felt plenty strong during the rides. Never felt lack of energy. Climbing was very strong.

My only concern is that by the end of day 4, there was very little fat left on the body. The veins were sticking out everywhere. Legs and Arms. I'm wondering how long this could be sustained for stage racing before depleting the bodies fat reserves... Also wondering about fat loading before going into a race like this. Has anyone done any fat loading? Any methods to suggest?

DomP - Just for interest sake. What sort of intensity/pace did you ride/race?

My current feeding scheme (not saying this is 100%, it's just what I've ended up doing):

I leave early so I take food to work -

• normally a tub of double cream yog with extra cream added, plus some mixed nuts / crushed macadamias / maybe a sprinkle of that new 'granola' from Woolies that is crushed almonds/coconut/some raisins (I go easy on this - just a sprinkle to add some variation).
  • 3 eggs scrambled with whatever is lying around from supper the night before mixed in.
  • an avo with salt, pepper and balsamic.

I often don't eat towards midday (not that hungry) and often don't get around eating the avo - often eat it as I'm making supper so's not to waste it.

Supper - protein with green veg (beans/broccoli/spinach/courgettes/cabbage/whatever) and a squash - gems/pumpkin/hubbard (Noakes book has it as 'not bad' as far as I remember) occasionally butternut.  Red wine.  Block of Lindt 70 - 90% after.

Coffee I have in the morning, either from Seattle on the way to work, or at work, sometimes with cream, sometimes with milk.  No real strategy here.

Got tired of salad for lunch.  Beginning to get over it, so might replace one of yog/eggs with salad in the near future.  Or not.

Weekends tend to get a bit ad-hoc.  Not as organised as I'd like to be.

DomP - Just for interest sake. What sort of intensity/pace did you ride/race?

Hi. Due to the amount of climbing, we averaged only just over 14km/h. My heart rate zone average was between 3 and 4. The odd spike into zone 5, never for long periods.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It helps a lot to see your examples.

Stocked up today and tomorrow is D-day.

Being Diabetic, I find the first 3 days extremely difficult to control my blood glucose.

I contribute this to the body using the last bit of glycogen.

made some Banting mayo yesterday. Turned out brilliant. Great taste and easy to make. Will be having some today on Tuna/Avo salad fro lunch. tick,tock,tick,tock - can't wait.

I made the change to LCHF nearly three weeks ago. Starting weight was 91.4kg (down from 94.6 a couple of months earlier), weighed in today at 90.0kg. My target weight is 80kgs.

I'm actively avoiding carbs in the form of flour, bread, pasta etc, as well as sugar (although I do slip on occasion with a diet lemonade and Oros, and a couple of blocks of 70%choc). Beer has made way for whiskey and soda, or wine (1 unit per night). And I'm getting through more water than I've ever had in my life. I didn't really get carb flu (and I'm always fuzzy-headed, so I didn't get that either). In any case the weight seems to be going down, if a little slowly.

Now, to the main issue. I've been off the bike for about 7 months, so last weekend I got going again with an old Trek 1200 roadbike that I refurbished. It's noticably heavier than my previous bikes, but I figured there's no harm in that if it's for the purposes of getting fit again.

Ride 1 (Sunday) was a bit hard, as expected (35kms into the Cradle) average speed 20km/h. When I was fit that would have been around 28km/h. Tuesday morning I did a 1 hour out and back Cradle run, went little bit better. Yesterday I did a loop of 56km, in 2h50 (average 21km/h) and I was shattered for the rest of the day. I realise this lack of performance and discomfort has a lot to do with regaining fitness, and a bit due to the slightly heavier bike. I think the giant "bonk" I experienced towards the end had something to do with LCHF, as I only had coffee before, and water during.

Now I'd like to ask for some advice, if you folks would be so kind.

1. Is it likely or possible that regular riding will accelerate the rate of weight loss due to calorie demand? Will it increase ketosis somehow?

2. I'm aiming to do the 94.7 again. From what I can gather reading through this thread, I won't have adapted by then (52 days to go). Do I train on water, or add carbs for longer or harder days (and will that break my LCHF program)?

Edit: Found this useful post by DaleE (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125843-lchf-low-carb-high-fat-diet-ver-2/page-116?do=findComment&comment=2101996) which suggests that the way to survive riding at this time is to go really easy on rides. Only problem I can see is that my route in and out of the Cradle has a couple of hills that don't know this word "easy".

Edited by Lotus

made some Banting mayo yesterday. Turned out brilliant. Great taste and easy to make. Will be having some today on Tuna/Avo salad fro lunch. tick,tock,tick,tock - can't wait.

What recipe did you use? The batch i made didnt turn out so good

What recipe did you use? The batch i made didnt turn out so good

1/2 cup of coconut oil ( the de-flavoured one)

1/2 cup of olive oil

juice from one lemon

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon double cream plain yoghurt (i will use more than this next time, maybe 3 spoons)

1 whole egg

2 egg yolks

Mix eggs, lemon juice and mustard in blender. Warm coconut oil just enough to make it runny. Don't make it too hot. Combine coconut and olive oil and add oil slowly to egg mixture while keeping blender running quite fast. Once it has set a bit (only takes a minute) stir in yoghurt. Season with salt to taste.

I reckon next time I will also add some hot English mustard for some spice or even Tobasco sauce.

LCHF Pancakes (crepes) - better and easier than regular pancakes. Two eggs, two oz of smooth cream cheese. Beat in food processor to smooth consistecy. Bake like a regular pancake with a little butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and Xyletol (or any other filling), roll and eat. Best pancake ever and faster than ouma's recipe.

Ja I get that, but what type of fat, Would welcome suggestions.

MCT oil is perfect (Medium chain triglyciride) I start every day with 2 or 3 tablespoons clean. Google MCT oil.