LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Lost 40 kgs and now weighing 65kgs.

Damn!  Well done!  Thats almost a whole you.

And here I thought my 2.5 in 2 weeks is hectic....

Edited by Maniax

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a podcast on Noakes explaining that you can eat carbs the night before a race/ride and it should be stored in your muscles for use the next morning. Dont eat too much obviously and it has an amazing difference on your legs. The extra glycogen boost you otherwise lack. This doesnt effect the fat burning at all.

I take 2 spoons of natural honey the night before and I think it works. 

I'm backwards and forwards on this dam LCHF thing. Gave it a good go as a vegetarian about 18 months back and near starved to death. Didn't perform at all well so bailed on it. I did drop 20 kg on a vegetarian carb diet so you can lose weight while eating carbs. That's number one.

Then I gave up my very long term vege diet and started eating meat. Tried the LCHF thing again. It worked pretty well this time and my riding was better but I didn't lose any weight. What was great was my ability to ride for hours on just water. As long as I didn't hammer it that is.

Next I well off the LCHF thing and put on 9kg. Quick quick. Very annoying. Stopped cycling and everything. Life pressure. Decided it must change so cut sugars and snacking and started riding again. Popped off 4 kg in three weeks. I eat porridge for breakfast and rice with chicken for lunch. No carbs in the evening. Not much fat. I'm sick of fat.

So I really don't know now. Honestly I don't think anyone does. I find it easy to lose weight no matter what I eat. Cut portions and up activity. Old fashioned diet. I read loads of books about how you cannot lose weight on a carb diet because it locks the fat away and makes you very hungry and all that. It's nonsense. Well it is for me. I eat everything now. Bread, rice, potato, fruit, fat, meat you name it. Still losing weight. Cut down on quantity. Up the activity. Simple really

People do it for different reasons, i personally never did it to lose weight (did lose a few kgs though and much easier to maintain my weight). I was just tired of the way i felt on a high carb diet and the feeling of hunger never really going away (i get very grumpy when im hungry and dont have anything to eat so it helped my relationship with the garl haha). But seriously i just felt it was a healthier way of living and absolutely love the way i feel now. You have to remember that lean, health and fitness is 3 different things and just because you are one does not mean you are any of the other (as society thinks alot of the time)

Guest DieBees

I'm backwards and forwards on this dam LCHF thing. Gave it a good go as a vegetarian about 18 months back and near starved to death. Didn't perform at all well so bailed on it. I did drop 20 kg on a vegetarian carb diet so you can lose weight while eating carbs. That's number one.

Then I gave up my very long term vege diet and started eating meat. Tried the LCHF thing again. It worked pretty well this time and my riding was better but I didn't lose any weight. What was great was my ability to ride for hours on just water. As long as I didn't hammer it that is.

Next I well off the LCHF thing and put on 9kg. Quick quick. Very annoying. Stopped cycling and everything. Life pressure. Decided it must change so cut sugars and snacking and started riding again. Popped off 4 kg in three weeks. I eat porridge for breakfast and rice with chicken for lunch. No carbs in the evening. Not much fat. I'm sick of fat.

So I really don't know now. Honestly I don't think anyone does. I find it easy to lose weight no matter what I eat. Cut portions and up activity. Old fashioned diet. I read loads of books about how you cannot lose weight on a carb diet because it locks the fat away and makes you very hungry and all that. It's nonsense. Well it is for me. I eat everything now. Bread, rice, potato, fruit, fat, meat you name it. Still losing weight. Cut down on quantity. Up the activity. Simple really

I know someone that is HIV positive and he also keeps losing weight no matter what he eats. :)

On a serious note. My brother is the same. Exactly. He just ups his activityband he starts to lose weight. When he does the lchf diet his weihht stands still.

Remember that on the lchg diet you must not consume more than 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight. Otherwise it wont let you get into ketosis.

I know someone that is HIV positive and he also keeps losing weight no matter what he eats. :)

On a serious note. My brother is the same. Exactly. He just ups his activityband he starts to lose weight. When he does the lchf diet his weihht stands still.

Remember that on the lchg diet you must not consume more than 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight. Otherwise it wont let you get into ketosis.

There are many different reasons for LCHF - one of the benefits is weight loss, but the other benefits are really health.  As Oxter correctly said, fitness, being lean and being healthy are 3 VERY different things (society things lean = fit and healthy).  Anyway, the reason people sometimes dont lose weight on LCHF is 1. too much dairy 2. too much protein 3. too many calories (yip!).  Most websites say "eat all you like" BUT that is strictly not true.  We still have a calories in vs calories out thing.  I am unfortunately not one of those people with an appetite that regulates what i put in my mouth - i can eat forever :-)  I need to do the whole food diary thing.

You dont have to be in ketosis to lose weight on LCHF.

Guest DieBees

There are many different reasons for LCHF - one of the benefits is weight loss, but the other benefits are really health. As Oxter correctly said, fitness, being lean and being healthy are 3 VERY different things (society things lean = fit and healthy). Anyway, the reason people sometimes dont lose weight on LCHF is 1. too much dairy 2. too much protein 3. too many calories (yip!). Most websites say "eat all you like" BUT that is strictly not true. We still have a calories in vs calories out thing. I am unfortunately not one of those people with an appetite that regulates what i put in my mouth - i can eat forever :-) I need to do the whole food diary thing.

You dont have to be in ketosis to lose weight on LCHF.

Interesting. Thanks. I have found that my weight drops faster if I eat less on this diet vs very slow if not. So the eat all u want is untrue as you say.

I make sugar free Chocolates with Coconut oil, almond powder, cocoa and a bit of Zylitol and most people love it, but you have to keep it in the fridge.

I have been doing LCHF/Paleo for about 2.5 years now and my initial reason for this was to feel better in general. And that’s why I stuck with it. Like the other hubber said, I get grumpy when hungry and that doesn’t happen on LCHF. Fortunately for me I lose weight very quick on LCHF. I can drop 6kg quick quick. In off season I hover around 79/81kgs because I switch to a bit more Paleo (to gain weight). Then when the races starts to draw near (like Barberton and Sabie in the next month or so) I switch back to LCHF and drop my weight to about 72/74kg. I don’t do well on carbs. I feel hungry all the time and bloated. Life for me is just so much better on LCHF. I do however load on absolutely any carb I can lay my hands on on race day. But that is the only time. This does not effect my ketosis in race season (lucky for me). Coming to think of it I am really lucky on LCHF  I know this is not for everyone  but over the last 2.5 year my cholesterol is the lowest it has ever been, I control my weight, I feel great and in general I am a very happy chappie. Isn’t that what life is supposed to be about?

Took the following last night.

Cream, bit of milk, cocoa powder, and coconut oil and a bit of xylitol.

Blended and chucked into a glass. 

Lost 40 kgs and now weighing 65kgs.

Shew - that's a real success story!  Well done!

Can you share a little bit about what you did and ate? And more importantly, what you found worked for you - and what did not?

Was the goal only weight loss or did you look at other markers as well?

What worked for me is a low GI diet, but you also have to consider the GI load. That's probably why the veggie diet worked for you even though it's carbs. A friend of mine went on weigh less and it worked well for him and it looked like he ate plenty of nice food as well without starving. A good balanced diet and everything in moderation :)

There are many different reasons for LCHF - one of the benefits is weight loss, but the other benefits are really health.  .....

.... We still have a calories in vs calories out thing.  

Just to add to the above ...

A big source of disappointment for me over the last few months is how many folk (and the media) have focussed solely on the weight loss side of LCHF. The real power in LCHF is around the health benefits - weight loss is a side effect. I'm certainly not suggesting that weight is not important, but it really is a secondary effect of blood sugar control, better lipid profiles, trigs, etc.

"Calories in , calories out' needs to be considered in term of the type and timing of those calories. In other words, the same type of calorie taken at different times of the day will have different effects in the body. Example: a banana eaten just before bed will probably be converted to sugar and stored as fat by the body. A banana eaten during the Argus will be burned by the muscles and never get close to fat storage. So, yes, calories do count, but the kind of calorie you are eating should not be ignored.

Make Sisson wrote 2 very nice simple posts on this - worth a read if you have 10 minutes

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/9-more-calorie-myths-we-should-all-stop-believing/#axzz3Ost42MUE

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-common-calorie-myths-we-should-all-stop-believing/#axzz3Ost42MUE

DaleE: You're spot on.

The number of times I have to correct people from calling it a Diet (since this name has such strong weight loss connotations).... It's really annoying. Grandparents are the worst. "How can you put children on a Diet. They don't need to lose weight". The fact that I have see a HUGE change in behaviour of my boy since cutting crap out of his food is the reason I want him to eat better.

If you read "The Big Fat Surprise" it took a fairly long time for the original brainwashing of the world, so I imagine it'll take even longer to fix.