LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on folks, we've been over the subject of seeds and grains so many times on this thread. Humans have no business eating them; I don't know how they can keep cropping up here.

One thing we agree on ! :w00t:

Omega 3 fats can cause prostate cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23843441?dopt=Abstract

CONCLUSIONS:

This study confirms previous reports of increased prostate cancer risk among men with high blood concentrations of LCω-3PUFA. The consistency of these findings suggests that these fatty acids are involved in prostate tumorigenesis. Recommendations to increase LCω-3PUFA intake should consider its potential risks.

I really don't know why people won't just dump the omega 6 and 3 oils and focus on the good stuff like coconut oil and saturated animal fats.

A very good critique of Prof Lustig's "sugar and fructose is poison" argument.

This post is very popular and the writer is highly regarded.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

and a summary of the comments for those that don't want to read through more than 700 (and counting) of them !

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

What is interesting is how even "experts" can get their facts wrong about simple things like sugar in Japanese diets and actual food consumption data in general.

http://anthonycolpo....r-your-thyroid/

The clinical observation that carbohydrate restriction – to both ketogenic and non-ketogenic levels – significantly reduces levels of the grand-daddy thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T3) is so reliable and consistent you can set your watch by it. It’s been shown time after time, in trial after trial.

Lower thyroid (T3) means lower metabolism, means even relative small amount of food can make you fat, or stall weight loss. Apart from that, even more importantly, having a low metabolism is veru unhealthy for many processes in your body. Every single cell in your body needs thyroid hormone to function optimally.

Edited by Topwine

I have severely restricted carbs for the past 3 week.

Breakfast is eggs and spinach. Lunch is cheese, tomato and a carrot. Supper is a salad. Drinks are coffee, black or green tea. Snacks are almonds, low carb protein bar and a protein shake. One apple a day and sometimes a banana. Fats come from double fat yoghurt, butter and coconut oil.

Weight is down 4 kg. Flat feeling lasted about 2 days. Headache for a day. Body fat from 14% to 11% approx as measured on a scale.

Riding is going ok. Long rides at base ,levels comfortable now.

Today is a cheat day. Will have some pizza after critical mass. ( riding in a bloody tutu in fishnets with my wife and a female friend. I am so nervous about that)

One more kg and carbs start going back into my diet. Mission accomplished.

That's how I use the LCHF diet.

Insulin resistance on a HF diet: Heads up, Omega 3 fats make it worse !

Normally when you ingest a high fat diet, your muscles become a bit insulin resistant, but the pancreas just reponds by higher insulin production (if they are able to) to maintain normal glucose response, creating a hyperinsulin state.

However, if you ingest Omega 3 fats with saturated fats, the pancreas are impaired in their ability to increase insulin production and the liver also becomes more insulin resistant so that more glucose is released. The net effect is impaired glucose response in the whole body, ie higher BG levels in response to a glucose test.

http://endo.endojournals.org/content/144/9/3958.long

Irrespective of the mechanism, these data imply that the insulin response to glucose is suppressed to a greater extent than whole-body insulin sensitivity is enhanced by enrichment of a HIFAT by long-chain ω-3 fatty acids.

Love him or hate him (mostly Low carbers and vegans !), none has been able to refute him yet. This is a long read, but essential reading imo if you value objectivity and different opinions. Do read the whole article. Cold hands or feet anyone ? Poor libido ?

http://anthonycolpo.com/sorry-danny-albers-but-low-carb-diets-still-suck-for-athletes/

Let me give you an idea, from a guy who was once a very passionate low-carb devotee and who earnestly believed low-carb diets conferred no performance disadvantage whatsoever. This gentleman spent far, far longer on a low-carb diet than Mark “Doc Ott”, Darilyn Doddy, Jamie Caporosso or Mike Morton. This guy followed every variation of a low-carb diet you could think of: Non-ketogenic, cyclic ketogenic, targeted ketogenic, intermittently fasted ketogenic, intermittently fasted targeted ketogenic, and on and on and bloody on.

I have no qualms about citing this guy, because I’m intimately familiar with his situation.

That guy is me.

Yep, I followed a low-carb diet for some 7-8 years, and convinced myself for most of that time that I was doing just fine. My main form of physical activity during this time was lifting weights, along with grappling and MMA classes. I made some good strength gains over the years, even during the ketogenic phase, and for years my body fat percentage hovered around the 6% mark. Like Darilyn, Mike and Joel, I appeared to be living, breathing testimony that low-carb diets were just fine for active individuals.

That is, until the day in 2006 that I bought myself a shiny new road bicycle.

I started riding that baby in the hills, and at first everything seemed fine. But then reality started biting me on the ass, as it always does when you’ve been living under a delusion for way too long. It was only a matter of weeks before my legs started to feel like concrete blocks and my ride times started going to hell in a handbasket. The day I got dropped up Monbulk-Olinda Road by some guy with pipestem legs was the last straw. I went home, said goodbye and good riddance to my ketogenic ways, and was delighted to see my performance on the bike improve immediately.

Fast forward another 2 years, and I gave not just ketogenic but low-carbing in general the big middle finger. And it was truly one of the best and most liberating things I’d ever done (yep, dietary divorce can be just as invigorating as the real thing hahaha). Along with further dramatic improvements in my cycling fitness, I noticed improvements in mood and something else that was quite memorable: My shockingly low tolerance for cold weather had disappeared. No longer did my nose and fingers feel ice cold to the touch in winter, and no longer did I have to use 3 doona covers on my bed. Hell, it sounds absurd looking back, but that’s where I was. Yep, thanks to my low-carb diet, I’d endured years of Euthyroid Sick Syndrome and had no idea why until after I dumped this sorry way of eating.