LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Watch this video to understand where Peter Attia comes from, well his views.

Thanks for the vid. I read most of his blogs but not dif not look at his vids yet. Just checked this one. For me it boils down to him becoming insulin resistant en hence struggling to lose wait which made him realise theres other ways of eating and he even said he is not insulin resistant anymore after following a ketogenic diet. I believe carbs and especially processed carbs is bombarding our society and many people scarcely burn any fat which they acquire. I also mentally agree with Peter Attia's theory that insulin resistance might be the result of an overload of carbs in a diet, but this must still be proven. It migh just be one of the major contributing factors.

NO GRAINS! Really. (granted that my exception is one plate of sushi every other week, I usually just have sashimi)

Pasta would be one of the worst choices you could make. Stick to veggies, healthier, more nutrient dense, no phytates (anti-nutrients), no gluten, not processed etc.

How to choose your produce: (guidelines)

High carb: veggies that grow below the ground, squashes and fruit.

Low carb: veggies that grow above the ground and leafy greens.

This reaction made me smile :) I know having a pasta meal will kick me right out of ketosis, but I just plan to do this before a long and important ride (like a race or hard/long ride). I am far from being keto adapted and hence my mucle glycogen levels are running at almost zero while training daily and in ketosis. I will surely bonk on a century ride if I dont refill my tank. In race nutrition will not suffice if my muscly glycogen levels are running at 10%. I dont think i can eat enough low carb veggies to fill my muscle glycogen and still stay in ketosis.

Regards, Dirk

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Diabetes, like cancer, has been known for a long time to be promoted by unsaturated oils in the diet, rather than by sugar." -Ray Peat, PhD

Thanks for the vid. I read most of his blogs but not dif not look at his vids yet. Just checked this one. For me it boils down to him becoming insulin resistant en hence struggling to lose wait which made him realise theres other ways of eating and he even said he is not insulin resistant anymore after following a ketogenic diet. I believe carbs and especially processed carbs is bombarding our society and many people scarcely burn any fat which they acquire. I also mentally agree with Peter Attia's theory that insulin resistance might be the result of an overload of carbs in a diet, but this must still be proven. It migh just be one of the major contributing factors.

This reaction made me smile :) I know having a pasta meal will kick me right out of ketosis, but I just plan to do this before a long and important ride (like a race or hard/long ride). I am far from being keto adapted and hence my mucle glycogen levels are running at almost zero while training daily and in ketosis. I will surely bonk on a century ride if I dont refill my tank. In race nutrition will not suffice if my muscly glycogen levels are running at 10%. I dont think i can eat enough low carb veggies to fill my muscle glycogen and still stay in ketosis.

Regards, Dirk

Then go with the lesser of the two evils. ;) As far as grains go, rice comes out on top according to Mark Sisson. So if you feel you have to carbo load, rather do it with rice than pasta.

I was trying to deter you from eating grains. :P

As far as Peter Attia goes, I would say that it wasn't his weight specifically. More a case of Why did I get metabolic syndrome while eating the "ideal/perfect" diet that is recommended left, right and centre as a sure fire method to avoid becoming diabetic. I'd assume that him as a medical expert that exercised frequently would have avoided most if not all processed foods, not that I've ever come across what he ate pre-LCHF.

Anybody else read this article in News 24 ?

The canola oil spill

What role does Canola oil play in the diet, is it a healthy fat and more importantly, is it safe for us to include in the diet?

View article - http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Healthy-diets/The-canola-oil-spill-20131030

"Unhealthy fats include saturated fat (visible fat on meats, skin on chicken, full cream dairy products, butter, lard" and endorsed by the Heart and Stroke Foundation South Africa !!

"Diabetes, like cancer, has been known for a long time to be promoted by unsaturated oils in the diet, rather than by sugar." -Ray Peat, PhD

View article - http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Healthy-diets/The-canola-oil-spill-20131030

"Unhealthy fats include saturated fat (visible fat on meats, skin on chicken, full cream dairy products, butter, lard" and endorsed by the Heart and Stroke Foundation South Africa !!

Hi guys.

Yes it seems like unsaturated fats will increase your LDL levels while good (saturated) fats will increase your HDL levels. Good HDL levels will ensure that your arteries is kept clean and will lower total cholestrol and LDL levels.

If you want to read an very comprehensive article on fat, it also discusses diabetes and cancer studies, then go to the following link (ive just read it).

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Im just wondering how much good fats (saturated) will cancel out the bad fats (unsaturated)? 50/50 ?

I had some blood work done just to check how my electrolytes were doing, thought I'd check thyroid and HbA1c while I was at it. Thyroid was fine and my HbA1c was 5.1%, I'm not sure what that indicates as I haven't researched the topic, doctor just said that below 6% was normal.

Hba1c is a measure of average glucose for 2-3 months. The logic being that if you can control it, then there is very little chance of metabolic syndrome / diabetes.

5.1 is a good result. From what I've read, 4.8-5.2 is the optimal range. Your doctor's thinking of "<6 is ok" seems to be a bit old school and based on studies done where the subjects were eating a higher carb diet than you are.

Hba1c is a measure of average glucose for 2-3 months. The logic being that if you can control it, then there is very little chance of metabolic syndrome / diabetes.

5.1 is a good result. From what I've read, 4.8-5.2 is the optimal range. Your doctor's thinking of "<6 is ok" seems to be a bit old school and based on studies done where the subjects were eating a higher carb diet than you are.

Thanks Dale. I knew what it represented, I just wasn't sure of what numbers were considered to be good (by our standards.)

For those who may be interested ...

Noakes and fellow authors of his new book Meal Revolution are doing a talk at SSI on 2 Dec. Call 021 4616808 to book a place. No charge, but not lots of space left apparently.

If anyone does, go, let me know as I'll be there and it's always nice to physically meet the folk we interact with in the virtual world!

An intersting article on ketogenic diets for epilepsy and other brain disorders,

http://www.andrewkimblog.com/2013/11/preserving-brain-function-principles.html

Therefore, the most parsimonious explanation for why ketogenic diets work, when they do, is that the ketone bodies so generated are supplying neurons (and glial cells) with energy, which would normally be provided by glucose, thereby preventing these cells from literally succumbing to the demands placed on them, by all the stressors they have to deal with on a moment to moment basis.

Hi guys.

Yes it seems like unsaturated fats will increase your LDL levels while good (saturated) fats will increase your HDL levels. Good HDL levels will ensure that your arteries is kept clean and will lower total cholestrol and LDL levels.

If you want to read an very comprehensive article on fat, it also discusses diabetes and cancer studies, then go to the following link (ive just read it).

http://www.hsph.harv...ats-full-story/

Im just wondering how much good fats (saturated) will cancel out the bad fats (unsaturated)? 50/50 ?

Edited by Spinsei

Anybody else read this article in News 24 ?

The canola oil spill

What role does Canola oil play in the diet, is it a healthy fat and more importantly, is it safe for us to include in the diet?

View article - http://www.health24....-spill-20131030

Article says... "Canola oil is a refined vegetable oil made from the crushed seeds of the canola plant." WRONG! No such thing as a Canola plant!!! Made from Rape seeds!!! The Canadians invented the word Canola 'cos who the f*** would buy RAPE seed oil...

Big food industry bullish!t.

Stick to food... butter, lard, ghee, coconut oil. Yum. Not industrial waste.

But as an ingredient for biodiesel, Canola oil is pretty good. :thumbdown:

Some time ago there was a short discussion about the metabolism of medium chain fatty acids.

I came across this article (yes, it's old but physiology doesn't really change much, although our understanding of it might!):

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/36/5/950.full.pdf

From the basic physiology described, the absorption (directly into portal venous system as opposed to into lymphatic system) and oxidation of MCT's are much quicker than LCT's and even though MCT's are less inclined to be stored as fat (likely due to the ease with which it is oxidised), it is still possible to store MCT's in fat.

SUCKED that they only had coke on the finish line at 94.7

Nice article from Dr John Briffa - Two major studies conclude that saturated fat does NOT cause heart disease.

http://www.drbriffa....-heart-disease/

It is actually an ideal pick me up after the race, caffeine, sugar... In terms of LCHF Coke may be the devil but while racing it works wonders as an emergency fuel and something to replenish the glycogen stores directly after the race (especially if that is your only option.) Carbs are important, especially after a race/hard ride. If you are worried about falling out of ketosis don't, because your body uses the carbs to replenish your stores and like DaveT posted on the whole glutame translocation (GLUT-4), your body does not experience the insulin spike thus your ketones aren't lowered that you will fall out of NK.

It is very important not to deny your body of carbs when it needs it most.

For those who may be interested ...

Noakes and fellow authors of his new book Meal Revolution are doing a talk at SSI on 2 Dec. Call 021 4616808 to book a place. No charge, but not lots of space left apparently.

If anyone does, go, let me know as I'll be there and it's always nice to physically meet the folk we interact with in the virtual world!

Thanks for this Dale. Took 2 spots!

Please note all interested, only 2 left as at 15:15!

Thanks for this Dale. Took 2 spots!

Please note all interested, only 2 left as at 15:15!

Hey, let us know what's said. I've pre-ordered the book on Kalahari but it's taking it's time to come...