LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Maybe you should read the whole article for better understanding ?

I understand the study and do not dispute that omega consumption has gone out of balance.But, they say themselves "Fats included shortening, butter, lard, margarine, and beef tallow." So why is shortening listed on its own?

I see no mention of spice as an energy source in the article, please point that out for me?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I received information from a colleague on a guy who brings in and distributes certified grade A2 karoo lamb. He has given me quite a bit on the origin of the lamb and delivers weekly to areas in Cape Town.

The colleague reckons it was good meat. I have placed an order that I will receive on Thursday, I will comment again once I have tried the lamb.

Here is his latest newsletter if you are interested.

Will you PM his details please?

:blush: Edit: Just opened the link... got it thanks

Edited by dre

First morning with a fat shake. Would love to say I feel awesome but hells bells that's a lot of fat in one sitting. Tried the one in Noakes book based off htone's shake!

- Update -

I need to get over that queasy feeling quickly...

I just looked and its 16h00... I haven't even thought of the lunch tin, I am still full!

High FIVE to proper fat intake!

Brilliant summary! Thanks JC. I can personally relate to everything in that article. The 10 positive outcomes of eating this way are so real it is almost scary!

Thanks a lot Sniffie, your feedback is most appreciated!

I have been slowly getting through Peter Attia's Cholesterol Series.

My biggest concern at this stage is getting an early LCHF baseline (I have missed the before testing period) to monitor my risks... I want to be absolutely sure that this isn't going to cause harm.

It seems the consensus is to get actual LDL-C and LDL-P testing done in addition to the normal blood work tests.

Anyone know where to go in CT and what to measure or look out for?

My biggest concern at this stage is getting an early LCHF baseline (I have missed the before testing period) to monitor my risks... I want to be absolutely sure that this isn't going to cause harm.

It seems the consensus is to get actual LDL-C and LDL-P testing done in addition to the normal blood work tests.

HTOne will be able to point you in the right direction.

So I've started on Mike Posthumous's HIT training plan. 80% at Zone 1 or 2 (i.e. fast enough not to fall over but not much more, 20% (6 x 4mins ) at Zone 5 (as hard as you can go plus a bit.)

This morning I got to about 3.5 of the 6 x 4 and the wheels fell off. I had a very disturbed night (as only those with sick kids can know) but I'm not sure it was just due to lack of sleep.

I suspect that HIT needs some carb supplementation. Can anyone help me out with personal experience?

The strange thing is that I've done the 6 x 4's before with no problems and no carb supplementation. Same situation - commute home in Zone 2 in the evening and then HIT on the way back to work.

Edited by davetapson

So I've started on Mike Posthumous's HIT training plan. 80% at Zone 1 or 2 (i.e. fast enough not to fall over but not much more, 20% (6 x 4mins ) at Zone 5 (as hard as you can go plus a bit.)

This morning I got to about 3.5 of the 6 x 4 and the wheels fell off. I had a very disturbed night (as only those with sick kids can know) but I'm not sure it was just due to lack of sleep.

I suspect that HIT needs some carb supplementation. Can anyone help me out with personal experience?

The strange thing is that I've done the 6 x 4's before with no problems and no carb supplementation. Same situation - commute home in Zone 2 in the evening and then HIT on the way back to work.

Sounds rough!

How many HR zones do you use?

If zone 5 is the highest zone is it realistic to have 4 mins? Not sure one can sustain it, I was under the impression that 2 mins is the limit.

From personal experience I found that I need to make sure my glycogen stores are full before HIT - will have butternut or pumpkin or similar the night before or in case of emergency a muffin for breakfast.

Sounds rough!

How many HR zones do you use?

If zone 5 is the highest zone is it realistic to have 4 mins? Not sure one can sustain it, I was under the impression that 2 mins is the limit.

From personal experience I found that I need to make sure my glycogen stores are full before HIT - will have butternut or pumpkin or similar the night before or in case of emergency a muffin for breakfast.

Well, he uses Karvonen which means Zone 5 for me is 158bpm. I can juuuust hit this, but I probably vary 154 - 158.

Without race conditions, or I suppose some form of competition, it's pretty hard to get into zone 5 let alone stay in zone 5 for 4 mins.

Will give the butternut / pumpkin thing a go the night before commuting in and see how it goes. Last night we had a full on LC meal - I quite regularly cook gems / butternut / pumpkin to give the family a break, so may well have had those before the other rides where I did not struggle with HIT.

So let's dive into the can of worms ....

There is MUCH debate as to the importance of cholesterol numbers, right from those who think any cholesterol measure is meaningless through to those who deliver the standard lipid panel is gospel. The consensus view in the paleo / lchf community seems to be that particle size is more important, but if you read cardiologists like Thomas Dayspring (very pro lchf), his opinion is that size is not important, but rather the sheer number of particles. He did 2 fascinating podcasts with Jimmy Moore last year- worth a listen.

For a more local view, have a look at http://cardiologydoc.wordpress.com He is a CT based cardiologist & the bloke who recommended lchf for me post heart attack. Go read the post entitled "Atherogenic Lipoproteins and Cardiovascular Disease" - about half way down the page - for a good understanding of what to measure and why.

I have not found a lab that will do the LDLp test; but as mentioned in the blog above, APO tests are good proxies for p tests. Patchcare can do the APO A1 and B tests & if you specifically request it. results take 7 days.

Well, he uses Karvonen which means Zone 5 for me is 158bpm. I can juuuust hit this, but I probably vary 154 - 158.

Without race conditions, or I suppose some form of competition, it's pretty hard to get into zone 5 let alone stay in zone 5 for 4 mins.

Will give the butternut / pumpkin thing a go the night before commuting in and see how it goes. Last night we had a full on LC meal - I quite regularly cook gems / butternut / pumpkin to give the family a break, so may well have had those before the other rides where I did not struggle with HIT.

WOW that is low :whistling:

WOW that is low :whistling:

Not for me it's not... feels like I'm going to blow a foofie valve... :unsure:

RHR 38 - 40ish. Max: In theory (calc'd by Polar: 171) but I don't think I've ever seen much more than the high 160's in any race.

I can highly recommend Dr Wouter Basson (yes, that one) - he runs full blood work and can do VO2Max testing on a bicycle for you.

I just saw a recent picture of Tim Noakes on one of his tweets together with his LCHF "hero's". Also saw another recent picture of him outside a Cape Town radio station.

Somebody's got to say it, he does not look well and seems a LOT older than 18 months ago. A lot more gray hair and just overall odd look and unhealthy. I am ready to be taken apart for this comment, but this is just saying the emperor has no clothes. All my family members and the kids (which normally is very brutally honest ) agreed with me when I showed them these before and after pictures, and they did not know about his LCHF crusade.

What do you think ?

http://t.co/vfgrxnsxqD