LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Just curious - everyone is refering to LCHF and Paleo but not Atkins. Is that because the latter does not really focus on athletic performance?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious - everyone is refering to LCHF and Paleo but not Atkins. Is that because the latter does not really focus on athletic performance?

For day to day eating I follow LCHF but eating during endurance events I follow Paleo which includes carbs. You need to find what works for you in terms of weight-loss/maintenance, energy and lifestyle. I quite like what I eat on LCHF but I have a sweet tooth & quite like beer.

For day to day eating I follow LCHF but eating during endurance events I follow Paleo which includes carbs. You need to find what works for you in terms of weight-loss/maintenance, energy and lifestyle. I quite like what I eat on LCHF but I have a sweet tooth & quite like beer.

Quite like beer,,,,,,BWHAAAA

DaleE, you say that "where you are trying deliberately to get the body into a state of ketosis carbs are even more strictly controlled, including the timing and macronutrient ratio of each and every meal, sources of fats, supplements, etc."

Would you mind elaborating, as I simply eat what I feel like i.e. this morning had steak for breakkie and will probably have an omlette for dinner. I simply look at my daily intake. If I want to be in ketosis do I need to eat something specific at every meal?

No, not if you're happy for your ketone levels to fluctuate. I recorded mine everyday for 4 months (just for kicks) and found that they range anywhere between 0.1 and 6, highly dependant on carbs, fasting, exercise, alcohol and protein.

Because I'm just doing it as part of a 'normal' LCHF diet, it's really no big deal to me if in ketosis or not. Usually felt a bit more 'on a buzz' when ketones >5, but otherwise felt the same. Also weight loss not affected by range, anything over 1 seems to do the trick.

However ... for folk that are using the keto diet for medical reasons (usually epilepsy), often keeping ketones in a narrow band is the answer. To do this requires timing meals correctly so blood glucose is stable (remember there is an inverse relationship between glucose and ketones) and then making sure that those meals have the correct macro-nutrient ratio. As mentioned before - this is a mission!

Cod liver oil .....

..... remember that stuff your grandmother used to give you?? Every kid seems to hate it, just the mere thought of it used to keep cold and flu away .... but is anyone here using it?

Google will produce millions of results of folk who swear by it for curing everything from pimples to cancer, but was looking for some personal experiences if there are any. Also, why do you take it as opposed to Salmon/Omega3 oil.

You guys should read this article, to avoid becoming like this, if it isn't too late allready ...

http://authoritynutr...ow-carb-zealot/

Good read.

It is definitely not "too late already" for the active participants on this thread. There is a lot of variety here and no-one gets 'flamed' for being different from the next person. Don't know if you got that impression, but I certainly did not.

My views are different from most, e.g. about taking in carbs during racing/extended training sessions, and I never got the impression that I'm being flamed for having a different opinion from the next man.

Thanks for the replies guys. Somehow managed to unfollow the thread via my phone, so only caught up now.

Thanks for all the info and links :thumbup:

No, not if you're happy for your ketone levels to fluctuate. I recorded mine everyday for 4 months (just for kicks) and found that they range anywhere between 0.1 and 6, highly dependant on carbs, fasting, exercise, alcohol and protein.

Because I'm just doing it as part of a 'normal' LCHF diet, it's really no big deal to me if in ketosis or not. Usually felt a bit more 'on a buzz' when ketones >5, but otherwise felt the same. Also weight loss not affected by range, anything over 1 seems to do the trick.

However ... for folk that are using the keto diet for medical reasons (usually epilepsy), often keeping ketones in a narrow band is the answer. To do this requires timing meals correctly so blood glucose is stable (remember there is an inverse relationship between glucose and ketones) and then making sure that those meals have the correct macro-nutrient ratio. As mentioned before - this is a mission!

Cool, thanks DaleE

What is it with Woolworths cheese that it gets mouldy so quickly (this triggered by the packaging on that cheese that says eat within 3 days of opening)...?

My wife made the most delicious quiche the other night , only 5 slices of bread to hold the lot together, the rest milk, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese etc. Her recipe was enough for ten servings and worked out to about 15g of Carbs per serving, ratio being 66:24:10, which isn't bad for something so delicious!

My wife made the most delicious quiche the other night , only 5 slices of bread to hold the lot together, the rest milk, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese etc. Her recipe was enough for ten servings and worked out to about 15g of Carbs per serving, ratio being 66:24:10, which isn't bad for something so delicious!

\

We need the recipe!!