LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you in JHB, I found a restaurant who are serving food along these lines. First one I have found.

Anyway, they give you this along with their normal menu:

post-508-0-17849000-1393230597_thumb.jpeg

I had a Burger with Bacon, avo and Gorgonzola:

post-508-0-99991400-1393230615_thumb.jpeg

If you are interested, it's the Cheese Gourmet Cafe in Linden, just down the road from Linden Cycles on 3rd Ave.

Tim Noakes also retweeted my tweet. In total I got 39 retweets and 30 favourites.

So basically, I won Twitter on Saturday :clap:

what's that brown turdish looking thing topping the burger?

Guys,

How valid is Woolies claims of "free range" chicken and meat??

Regards

Hi Leon, although not officially certified, Woolies are serious about the 'labels' they attach to those/their products.

They follow strict auditing guidelines for their suppliers and one can safely assume that they apply at least the minimum standard. <-- take note

Guys,

How valid is Woolies claims of "free range" chicken and meat??

Regards

I'm sure "free range" at woollies means no animal by-products fed to chicken or meat.

I doubt very much you have chickens running round the farm yard like in the farmer brown ad. Buy a chicken from a farmer and compare to what you get from woollies and see the difference.

Personally I think it is carefully worded but it is not what you think it is.

What they said about Potassium:

When someone says ‘potassium’, dietitians instantly think ‘orange juice’ and ‘bananas’, neither of which is much help if you want to stay keto-adapted. Few dietitians think of meats and low starch vegetables as

excellent sources of potassium, but they are. There’s as much potassium in 4 oz of meat as in a medium banana or 8 oz of orange juice. However the Achilles heel of meat and vegetables as potassium sources is how they are prepared. Boil either one and much of the potassium is lost in the broth. If you grill your meat to medium well done, much of the potassium leaves with the drippings.

The obvious solution is to not discard ‘the solution’ (i.e., the potassium-containing broth and drippings). Cook meats so the drippings aren’t lost and steam or sauté vegetables rather than boiling them. Enjoy your daily allotments of berries, nuts, and seeds, which all contain appreciable amounts of potassium. Most importantly, consider making your own broth. A chicken carcass boiled for a few hours gives up much of its potassium to the broth, as is true for beef bones and scraps as well. Add all of these together and a well-formulated low carbohydrate diet turns out to be richly endowed with potassium, one of the key minerals keeping you upright and functioning well.

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (Kindle Locations 1083-1091). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

So the solution is to "Chop off the horns, wipe the bum, and eat" :eek: which is how I like my steaks :clap:

I'm sure "free range" at woollies means no animal by-products fed to chicken or meat.

Personally I think it is carefully worded but it is not what you think it is.

From the WW website http://www.woolworth...d=2031580000003

post-27777-0-47627900-1393514654_thumb.jpg

For me this issue is more around what they are being fed rather than if they are allowed to roam free for some portion of the day. If they are being fed GM grains, then I'd rather avoid it.

I think it was Mark Sisson who made the comment .... "you are what you eat" should rather be "you are what your food ate" :)

Grass fed lamb, beef, etc is a bit more expensive, but worth it IMHO both in terms of taste and health.

From the WW website http://www.woolworth...d=2031580000003

post-27777-0-47627900-1393514654_thumb.jpg

For me this issue is more around what they are being fed rather than if they are allowed to roam free for some portion of the day. If they are being fed GM grains, then I'd rather avoid it.

I think it was Mark Sisson who made the comment .... "you are what you eat" should rather be "you are what your food ate" :)

Grass fed lamb, beef, etc is a bit more expensive, but worth it IMHO both in terms of taste and health.

Agreed, I see woolies do sell venison mince, which is actually very nice, and affordable.

Have sent a mail of to woolies asking for their policy regarding what free range is and is not. Watch this space.

This guy has some interesting things to say regarding 'Free Range' etc.

http://www.farmerangus.co.za/

I decided to get some chickens as I was buying eggs by the dozen from various sources and I decided I may as well at least know where my eggs come from. Angus then says that proper gmo free chicken feed is not avl in SA... makes you realise just how much crap gets into the food chain that we just are not aware of.

I decided to get some chickens as I was buying eggs by the dozen from various sources and I decided I may as well at least know where my eggs come from. Angus then says that proper gmo free chicken feed is not avl in SA... makes you realise just how much crap gets into the food chain that we just are not aware of.

Wow, not funny...

http://www.farmerangus.co.za/2014/02/13/elaboration-on-selling-illegal-grass-fedpasture-rearedfree-range-beef/

I am a maize farmer, don't let any one tell you BS about GMO free maize products in SA. It does not exist. Go to any grain silo in SA and ask the manager where they store the GMO free maize. He will be amazed by your dumb question. (Pun intended) I am not aware of any of the big agricultural businesses who has a separate handling and storage facility for GMO free maize. GMO and non GMO maize are all mixed up in to one pool. Edited by Sniffie

I am a maize farmer, don't let any one tell you BS about GMO free maize products in SA. It does not exist. Go to any grain silo in SA and ask the manager where they store the GMO free maize. He will be amazed by your dumb question. (Pun intended) I am not aware of any of the big agricultural businesses who has a separate handling and storage facility for GMO free maize. GMO and non GMO maize are all mixed up in to one pool.

Same thing probably goes for soya beans etc?

I realise this is not a "true" lchf question, but I know folk here have tried Maffetone style training, so hopefully I will be forgiven :)

With winter looming round the corner, I thought I'd have another go at a 3 month block of Aerobic training. Can anyone who's done this tell me how you calculated how much time is needed on the bike per week? Or is it a simply case of keep upping the volume till you start to see signs of over training?

I have read the book, but could not find specifics for training load.

My initial thought is 3 x 1.5 hr sessions on the bike and 2 x 1hr swim per week. but wondering if that is enough/too much? or if 2 longer session are better than 3/4 shorter ones?

Comments?

Same thing probably goes for soya beans etc?

Lots of roundup ready (gmo) soya produced in SA. Don't quote me, but I should think more than 50% already. I dont know much about canola as it is produced almost solely in the Western Cape, but I think they do have some gmo cultivars also. AFAIK all SA wheat and peanuts are gmo free. Sunflower used to be gmo free, but I think the first clearfield cultivars were introduced in SA about a season or two ago. At this stage they are not widely planted and I think for all practical purposes the SA sunflower crop can still be classed as gmo free.

Dale, I did a year or so of Maff style training and it gave me awesome low intensity endurance. But I really have no high intensity endurance now. I think Maff style training requires a hard racing season and the early session ramps you up intensity wise. I never got there.

Which doesn't really answer your question. I couldn't figure times out either but I was commuting and the low intensity saved me from the dead legs you can get from commuting at too high intensities.

I realise this is not a "true" lchf question, but I know folk here have tried Maffetone style training, so hopefully I will be forgiven :)

With winter looming round the corner, I thought I'd have another go at a 3 month block of Aerobic training. Can anyone who's done this tell me how you calculated how much time is needed on the bike per week? Or is it a simply case of keep upping the volume till you start to see signs of over training?

I have read the book, but could not find specifics for training load.

My initial thought is 3 x 1.5 hr sessions on the bike and 2 x 1hr swim per week. but wondering if that is enough/too much? or if 2 longer session are better than 3/4 shorter ones?

Comments?

I have also read the book and it struck me as well that their is no specifics regarding load (quantity). The first thought that enters my mind wrt Maffetone training is that more is going to produce better results. Up to a certain point off course. The next thing to consider is your personal training goal. Is it just for fitness, completing a road race or competing in something strenuous like epic or similar. Thirdly I would consider how much time per week I would be able / willing to spend training. Lastly would be previous training and your current fitness. It would not be wise to kick off with a 14 hour week if you have never trained 14 hours before. Just one last thought, and I am not even sure why, but I would try to include one session on a weekend that is at least twice as long as my longest midweek session.

I would be interested in your experiences on the Maff style training Dale, as I am considering it myself. Will have to wait till after Sani though.