LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Wine has many health benefits, but that said it isn’t calorie free, and as well as it being a diuretic like all alcohol, it dehydrates you which makes cellulite more visible.

The most damaging aspect of alcohol in general to our goals are its effect on estrogen and testosterone. Firstly ,it raises estrogen - bad thing - as this encourages fat accumulation, it also decreases testosterone again this is bad, and it does this by up to as much as 30%, secondly it decreases protein synthesis drastically and it also messes with nutrient absorption, once alcohol converts in the liver it produces acetates in the blood stream, your body will favour acetates as an energy source to glucose until these acetates are used up, that essentially means whatever you’re eating during this time will most likely be stored as fat as your body is already running on the acetates.

I would say the frequency of having it is the problem. I would say 2-3 glasses per week max.

Well...that's just my 2c....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks V12man. I believe you've said what I already suspect:

1. And yes - I do take anti-inflams during long rides. I have a very seriously buggered knee, now close to replacement time. But I am/was unaware that NSAIDs affect endurance? Good to know, thanks.

They don't directly affect endurance per se (as far as I know) - BUT they can do serious damage to your kidneys, as they reduce significantly bloodflow to the kidney, as well as urine clearance, and can (and do) lead to kidney failure - impaired kidney function would be a great way to drop your performance levels over time.

They also affect intestine function, and could quite probably affect how you feel when eating - ie make you more resistant to eating, and often cause a level of nausea...

STOP taking them when riding - your body will produce enough endorphins to kill the pain in all likelihood during a multi day - and together with ice you should be able to manage - trust me on this... :)

I have posted before on anti inflams and exercise - search for V12man and NSAID - one of my pet annoyances..

I still believe your primary issue is just not eating enough before, during and after riding during a multi day - but NSAIDS are not helping you either... probably actually hurting your performance - even if it is via reducing your desire to eat.

Please tell me what you are taking, how often, and the dosages - pm it if you are not comfortable publishing it on open forums.

Wine has many health benefits, but that said it isn’t calorie free, and as well as it being a diuretic like all alcohol, it dehydrates you which makes cellulite more visible.

The most damaging aspect of alcohol in general to our goals are its effect on estrogen and testosterone. Firstly ,it raises estrogen - bad thing - as this encourages fat accumulation, it also decreases testosterone again this is bad, and it does this by up to as much as 30%, secondly it decreases protein synthesis drastically and it also messes with nutrient absorption, once alcohol converts in the liver it produces acetates in the blood stream, your body will favour acetates as an energy source to glucose until these acetates are used up, that essentially means whatever you’re eating during this time will most likely be stored as fat as your body is already running on the acetates.

I would say the frequency of having it is the problem. I would say 2-3 glasses per week max.

Well...that's just my 2c....

If your serum cholesterols is too high (over 4.5mmol/L) , 1/2 - 2/3 of a glass of red EVERY evening - if you don't like it, take it like medicine, and if you REALLY can't do that, then 1 tot of Whiskey, or Vodka in that order - every day.

Do a before and after fasted cholesterol test - about 2 months between them... my money is on an improvement in your numbers that is visible to you - despite being in the field, I have never studied the mechanism of how it works, but it does...

If you are under 4.5, then probably there is no need to do this - although it does improve LDL/HDL ratios as well

Please tell me what you are taking, how often, and the dosages.

I'll go search what you have posted at a later stage so I apologies in advance if you have covered it.

On one of my rides in December I was having a chat with one of my close training partners. He was saying that at one point he went to see a cardiologist for some or other reason which I can't remember. Long story short, the man asked him the same question; are you using anti-inflammatories? Which he was at the time.

A part of the cardiologists story was that Cataflam-D, when used in conjunction with some other supplements (might have been something found in muscle bulking products or something like PhedraCut) caused cardiac side effects in a number of his patients. Also claiming that there is some correlation between Diclofenac and Heroin, as far as origins go (Google doesn't shed any light on this subject.)

The doctor prescribed Celebrex as a safer alternative.

Do you know anything to the same effect or something that contradicts it; the cardiac problems, origins or is there a "lesser of two evils" as far as NSAIDs go?

Reason for asking is because the man nearly lives on the stuff to try and ride pain free, especially around multiday events.

I'll go search what you have posted at a later stage so I apologies in advance if you have covered it.

On one of my rides in December I was having a chat with one of my close training partners. He was saying that at one point he went to see a cardiologist for some or other reason which I can't remember. Long story short, the man asked him the same question; are you using anti-inflammatories? Which he was at the time.

A part of the cardiologists story was that Cataflam-D, when used in conjunction with some other supplements (might have been something found in muscle bulking products or something like PhedraCut) caused cardiac side effects in a number of his patients. Also claiming that there is some correlation between Diclofenac and Heroin, as far as origins go (Google doesn't shed any light on this subject.)

The doctor prescribed Celebrex as a safer alternative.

Do you know anything to the same effect or something that contradicts it; the cardiac problems, origins or is there a "lesser of two evils" as far as NSAIDs go?

Reason for asking is because the man nearly lives on the stuff to try and ride pain free, especially around multiday events.

Cataflam D is not good during endurance exercise.... there are some NSAIDS that have less impact than others - if you search you will see the mechanisms talked about in one or more of the threads - BUT there is very little good solid research on the matter - I suspect few ethics boards would let that kind of study through very easily - to be safe during extended exercise - just avoid them completely, I have not heard of any interactions with supplements/diet products - but they could definitely exist, because of the mechanism of most NSAIDs impacting kidney function, anything else that is a diuretic (lots of diet products/blood pressure control products)or impacts kidney function could significantly worsen the effect on kidney function - so interactions exist with some cardiac medications - but anyone taking anything on that list should probably not be considering extended endurance events at all.

As to the relationship between Diclofenac (voltaren) and heroin - no idea - I am not in the habit of prescribing heroin... I prefer using Morphine and it's analogs.... although not personally... and they HAVE an interaction - here you go... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15213733 see if you can untwist that... I will buy you a beer if you can read that aloud without hesitating in public..... :)

Agreed, I see woolies do sell venison mince, which is actually very nice, and affordable.

Have sent a mail of to woolies asking for their policy regarding what free range is and is not. Watch this space.

Hello guys,

Below Woolies reply to my question.

"Dear Mr Besaans

Thank you for bringing your concern regarding the Free Range Meat to our attention. Responding to customer needs is Woolworths' first priority, and we appreciate it when customers take the trouble to let us know their needs or concerns.

You may be assured that your comments have been discussed with our buyer who has informed me that our free range meat products are products derived from animals that are allowed to graze naturally, never given routine antibiotics or growth stimulants. The animals are also not fed any animal by-products.

This means that in our Free Range meat products antibiotics are not used prophylactically or to enhance growth in animals as the case is in feedlots.

Our animals are allowed to be treated with antibiotics when they are ill, but then animals have to adhere to double the withdrawal period registered for the drug.

Growth promotants may not be used such as hormones and beta-agonists.

Animal by-products may never be fed such as bone meal or chicken litter.

Animals graze natural or cultivated pastures. Animals may be fed supplements such as mineral, protein and energy licks, but this is done on the veldt and not in feedlots. This is controlled by our protocol and audited independently.

If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us as follows, call us on 0860 022 002, email custserv@woolworths.co.zaor contact us online www.woolworths.co.za."

Regards

OK, been trying to read some of the posts, but its as clear as nuttela

Most of the reading I have done on post ride nutrition which looks at replacing your glycogen stores suggests carbohydrates, and try carbohydrates without refined sugars.

Is this the only way ? I don't really want to drink those energy drink things, I have really gone off them over the last year or so. However now that I am riding a lot getting ready for TransKaroo I find my legs are always lethargic (more than sore or painfull). Even if I rest up and take it easy on rides - just cannot get the vooma in the legs.

You guys have any suggestions ?

Most of the reading I have done on post ride nutrition which looks at replacing your glycogen stores suggests carbohydrates, and try carbohydrates without refined sugars.

Is this the only way ? I don't really want to drink those energy drink things, I have really gone off them over the last year or so. However now that I am riding a lot getting ready for TransKaroo I find my legs are always lethargic (more than sore or painfull). Even if I rest up and take it easy on rides - just cannot get the vooma in the legs.

jcza will probably give you a more definitive answer but here's my less-definitive one.

Seems that if you are really pushing it, then some carb will probably not hurt, and may be necessary to allow you recover sufficiently between training sessions.

Eating some high gi carb will in all likelihood more quickly replace muscle glycogen than using glycogen derived from fat-burning.

I also doubt that you want complex / low gi carbs - you want your carbs immediately available and as soon as you stop exercising as possible (while your glut-4 pathways are still shifted to stuffing glycogen into your muscles.) Not sure what to suggest, but when I do it, I try to eat the things I miss, as it is a 'legal' way to 'cheat'. Otherwise whatever is on hand. Otherwise a 'Recovery' product - but I'm not convinced they are all they are made out to be.

Edited by davetapson

There's no definitive answer on alcohol and LCHF, but here are some general guidelines:

1. Red wine has less carbs than white or champagne

2. Distilled spirits like whisky are good choices (low in sugar)

3. Some folk believe alcohol is an inhibitor to weight loss (if that is your aim). My experience is that 1 glass of red wine or whisky daily makes no difference to weight loss.

4. I have a cardiologist who insists on a glass of red at least every 2 days. Says the therapeutic effects for the heart are amazing - something to do with the melatonin IIRC.

5. How much to drink depends on you. I find if I drink too much (>3 whiskeys or >half bottle red) at a party, etc, I end up eating too much too. Not sure why, perhaps just bad habits.

Yep, what he said.

You will never be able to raise your total body glycogen stores above 'normal' levels without a specific effort of eating high levels of carbs for a few days - in any case you probably only need normal levels for training under 2 hours a day on average - especially if you eat during a ride.

Lethargic legs probably means you need a couple of days off.. maybe consider some cross training of some sort instead of spending all the time on the bike - I don't like running much, because it puts additional shock stresses on the muscles, but rollerblading and swimming with BIG fins and a kickboard (no or very little arms)are good alternatives that are relatively easy to accomplish. I am a big fan of having 2 rest days in 7, back to back.

My biggest concern would be that you are mineral or vitamin deficient in some way, or are starting to suffer from overtraining type syndromes - consider getting some bloods done on the basics to see if you are obviously anaemic or vitamin deficient, or alternately load up a bit on vits and minerals - calcium, magnesium, iron, vits B and C as a start point and see if you can feel improvement.

You can also look at your specific training programs - many of them have hard days that are not hard enough, and easy days that are not easy enough - much easier to see this if you use a power meter when training.

You can also consider raising the amount of carbs you do eat somewhat without raising total calories too much - eating them while riding has some theoretical benefits, as does a sweet energy drink during the ride (this shows up on my power meter numbers towards the end of a long week, although I don't have stats to prove it, I know how I feel at the end of the week relative to the numbers being produced when I ride on water alone, or with something more in the bottle) - because I am lazy I have lately just been using about 1cm of Energade megaload (nice long chain carbs) in the bottom of a 500ml bottle for rides up to 2 hours, but you could make up your own easily enough - I hate things that don't mix easily.... or change taste if you put it in a fridge overnight mixed.

I've been using the book Low-Carb Living for Families, by Monique le Roux Forstlund, great recipes, better than Noakes' book, IMO. Bought it off Amazon for my Kindle.

Had pancakes today for lunch.

Sunday Pancake Breakfast

25 ml organic coconut oil or butter

2 eggs

100 ml fresh cream

50 ml almond flour or coconut flour (I used half Almond flour, half coconut)

Seeds from 1⁄2 vanilla pod

Pinch of salt

100 ml fresh cream, whipped

100 ml berries

Melt the oil or butter in a frying pan. Whisk the eggs and cream together. Add the almond or coconut flour and the vanilla and salt. Pour the mixture into the pan and fry over medium to low heat until the pancake is firm enough to turn over. Cook the other side. Serve with whipped cream and berries.

le Roux Forslund, Monique (2013-08-06). Low-carb Living for Families . Random House Struik. Kindle Edition.

edit, THIS RECIPE IS FOR ONE SERVING :wacko: :huh:

Also found this interesting article on the Starvation Response, in a magazine on Issuu.com, called Best of Fitnorama

http://issuu.com/ami...bestoffitnorama

ISSUU - Bestoffitnorama Starvation Response s.pdf

Edited by deanbean

You will never be able to raise your total body glycogen stores above 'normal' levels without a specific effort of eating high levels of carbs for a few days - in any case you probably only need normal levels for training under 2 hours a day on average - especially if you eat during a ride.

Lethargic legs probably means you need a couple of days off.. maybe consider some cross training of some sort instead of spending all the time on the bike - I don't like running much, because it puts additional shock stresses on the muscles, but rollerblading and swimming with BIG fins and a kickboard (no or very little arms)are good alternatives that are relatively easy to accomplish. I am a big fan of having 2 rest days in 7, back to back.

My biggest concern would be that you are mineral or vitamin deficient in some way, or are starting to suffer from overtraining type syndromes - consider getting some bloods done on the basics to see if you are obviously anaemic or vitamin deficient, or alternately load up a bit on vits and minerals - calcium, magnesium, iron, vits B and C as a start point and see if you can feel improvement.

You can also look at your specific training programs - many of them have hard days that are not hard enough, and easy days that are not easy enough - much easier to see this if you use a power meter when training.

You can also consider raising the amount of carbs you do eat somewhat without raising total calories too much - eating them while riding has some theoretical benefits, as does a sweet energy drink during the ride (this shows up on my power meter numbers towards the end of a long week, although I don't have stats to prove it, I know how I feel at the end of the week relative to the numbers being produced when I ride on water alone, or with something more in the bottle) - because I am lazy I have lately just been using about 1cm of Energade megaload (nice long chain carbs) in the bottom of a 500ml bottle for rides up to 2 hours, but you could make up your own easily enough - I hate things that don't mix easily.... or change taste if you put it in a fridge overnight mixed.

I have been doing this last week or so ( highlighted part ) as ramp up my final throws of training for Epic ( 15hrs last week 19hr this week )

Cannot believe the difference, sad to say, for me if I am training hard LCHF just does not allow me to compete at same level as carb fuelled.

Yesterday rode hard 5hours 2000m and 6hours 3000m today, my numbers are off the chart compared to all other rides in last six months.

I'm talking 30plus watts increase in avg watts difference overall, that's huge!!

Only thing I can attribute it too is carbs that I have started shovelling down my throat both in and out the rides.

After Epic will be back to strict LCHF.

Edited by McD23

I have been doing this last week or so ( highlighted part ) as ramp up my final throws of training for Epic ( 15hrs last week 19hr this week )

Cannot believe the difference, sad to say, for me if I am training hard LCHF just does not allow me to compete at same level as carb fuelled.

Yesterday rode hard 5hours 2000m and 6hours 3000m today, my numbers are off the chart compared to all other rides in last six months.

I'm talking 30plus watts increase in avg watts difference overall, that's huge!!

Only thing I can attribute it too is carbs that I have started shovelling down my throat both in and out the rides.

After Epic will be back to strict LCHF.

The problem is - your training has been at a lower level than it could have been... :) seriously.

Be careful with too many carbs now - you will add weight.... that's not good... wait for the last 3 days....

See you in CT.

Please help with supply stores of frequently used items used in LCHF recipes. Around Cape Town area.

example: coconut oil, almond and coconut flour, eggs, cream cheese, etc.

Coconut oil, Almond flour available from pretty much any Wellness Wharehouse or Diskem or health shop.

Coconut flour now being made by Crede so should also be available in more retails stores.

For the fresh stuff, if you're in the Durbanville area, drop Htone a PM - I know he lives out that way and am pretty sure he will have sniffed out the best spots. IIRC Daily Dairy is out that way (cream, milk, etc)

I love this time of the year, I'm constantly looking for mushrooms as I drive around the farm, for iKowas, and Boletus spp, found this Boletus edulus yesterday, and had it fried in cream for breakfast

post-2975-0-70294300-1394601396_thumb.jpg