LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some ideas for low-carb breakfasts. This morning I had a 2 egg and 1/2 tin of tune scrambled mix. Very tasty but an hour later I was hungry again. I need something quick and easy to prepare. Some of the recipes I have seen are too time consuming for my time constricted mornings.

I need some ideas for low-carb breakfasts. This morning I had a 2 egg and 1/2 tin of tune scrambled mix. Very tasty but an hour later I was hungry again. I need something quick and easy to prepare. Some of the recipes I have seen are too time consuming for my time constricted mornings.

Coconut cream, Double cream yogurt, almond flour, 2 scoops protein powder, or 2 eggs, banana if you like, all in blender.

Delicious.

Regards

I've got one standby that is boring but do-able - and not a whole bunch different to yours.

I take 2 - 3 eggs, scramble them and then add about an equal amount of cream. The cream I get from a mate at work who gets it from a dairy in Springs - costs R22 / half litre and is so thick that it doesn't always pour so lekker.

I also chuck in whatever is lying around - normally left over veg from last night.

I microwave it, so it's quick.

Otherwise I take double cream greek yoghurt, chuck in a handful of mixed tree nuts, add an equal amount of cream and mix it all together. Makes a change, but doesn't always keep me going to lunch time.

I've got one standby that is boring but do-able - and not a whole bunch different to yours.

I take 2 - 3 eggs, scramble them and then add about an equal amount of cream. The cream I get from a mate at work who gets it from a dairy in Springs - costs R22 / half litre and is so thick that it doesn't always pour so lekker.

I also chuck in whatever is lying around - normally left over veg from last night.

I microwave it, so it's quick.

Otherwise I take double cream greek yoghurt, chuck in a handful of mixed tree nuts, add an equal amount of cream and mix it all together. Makes a change, but doesn't always keep me going to lunch time.

cool, maybe its the lack of cream in mine that is leaving the hole in my stomach.

just found this on-line. A bit of prep, but can be done the night before.

POPSUGAR Fitness

Aug 15 2013 - 3:51am

From Wheat Belly Cookbook [1] by William Davis

Cheddar Egg Muffins

http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2013/06/19/979/n/1922729/2a007be9bcee3ee4_thumb_temp308396771371679971.large/i/Gluten-Free-Turkey-Sausage-Egg-Muffin.jpg

Ingredients

For the sausage

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 pound ground turkey

1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

1 teaspoon fennel seeds

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

For the muffins

2 cups broccoli, finely chopped

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (soaked in oil), finely chopped

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

8 large eggs

1 tablespoon chives

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
  2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for five minutes or until onion has browned and softened. Remove from skillet and cool for 10 minutes.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine turkey and the onion mixture. Add the rest of the sausage ingredients, and mix with your hands until thoroughly blended.
  4. Form patties of desired width and thickness (3-inch wide by 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick works well) by hand. Cook in the skillet over medium heat for eight minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees and the meat is no longer pink. Set aside to cool, then chop and crumble sausage into bite-size pieces.
  5. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, sausage, cheese, tomatoes, basil, oregano, onion powder, and salt.
  6. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour into the broccoli mixture and mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups and top with chives.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2013/06/19/983/n/1922729/45aa371f674706b4_Screen_shot_2013-06-19_at_3.33.57_PM.xxxlarge.jpg

Did a good 50km ride with lots of single track and short steep hills on my 1x10 today, with bullet proof coffee for breakfast. Too many beers last night too. But I felt strongish most of the ride, though I cramped like a mofo afterwards, I had to stop 2x on the 45min drive back. The first time could only put brakes. No clutch.

Looks like I've turned the corner though. I'll have to check next weekend.

There is some weird **** that goes on with magnesium and LCHF. You have to supplement quite rigorously. Htone mentioned this way back in the thread and is mentioned in one of Volek's 'The art and sience of low carb..." books.

I find that I need to take three tabs a day (using Solal mag glycinate) if I am going to ride races hard. Also find that taking two Rennies an hour while riding pretty much stops cramping.

I've changed to Cramp-ease which contains a mixture of salts to see if that is better than the Solal stuff.

Apparently the formulation to go for is Mg Citrate, but I've not yet found a cheap source of it (not that I've looked particularly hard).

Sounds like you're coming right - at least you didn't have that staring death in the face feeling - particularly as you were SS'ing.

PS: (and off topic) - is the SS a dual susp? Wondering how a duallie would turn out as a SS. Intuitively doesn't sound so good.

Edited by davetapson

Bacon is your friend

There is some weird **** that goes on with magnesium and LCHF. You have to supplement quite rigorously. Htone mentioned this way back in the thread and is mentioned in one of Volek's 'The art and sience of low carb..." books.

I find that I need to take three tabs a day (using Solal mag glycinate) if I am going to ride races hard. Also find that taking two Rennies an hour while riding pretty much stops cramping.

I've changed to Cramp-ease which contains a mixture of salts to see if that is better than the Solal stuff.

Apparently the formulation to go for is Mg Citrate, but I've not yet found a cheap source of it (not that I've looked particularly hard).

Sounds like you're coming right - at least you didn't have that staring death in the face feeling - particularly as you were SS'ing.

PS: (and off topic) - is the SS a dual susp? Wondering how a duallie would turn out as a SS. Intuitively doesn't sound so good.

I've got to go to slummies this Friday to sort out daughters mobile contract, so I'll go via Dischem and look for Mag products. My mom swears by Epsom salts for restless legs, just the tip of the handle of a teaspoon in a glass of water every night, and it's lots cheaper than tablets, as a source of Mg.

I've given up on the single speed for the moment Dave, running 1x10 on my Ragley, the legs were just too weak for the SS,

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/85763-post-your-mtb-ss/page__st__1536#entry2201651

WRT an SS dually, Ross Schnell had one built up for him by trek for the Rotorua SSWC in 2011

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/10/14/1287083405743-1u13g7h5myi27-280-80.jpg

cool, maybe its the lack of cream in mine that is leaving the hole in my stomach.

It's the cream that you need, adds fat and makes the scrambled eggs sooo tasty...

I've given up on the single speed for the moment Dave, running 1x10 on my Ragley,

Sorry, I did see that. Just didn't seem to make it from eyes to brain. ..

• 2 weeks later...

What's the story with flaxseed oil. I see that the real meal revolution says to never eat it. I love it in my coffee.

Edited by deanbean

Heard Noakes extolling it's virtues a while ago. Strange that he'd do a180. Oh, wait...

No, no idea why it has gone out of favour.