LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I think it depends on how hard you plan to race ...

Which event are you doing?

Thanks Dale. Adventure. Are you doing it this year?

I pushed hard (av HR about 80%), and found that my energy levels stayed constant. I took the emergency goo, but didn't even think of using it. One of the best rides on LC so far.

Dean, sounds like you've broken the back of adapting...?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dale. Adventure. Are you doing it this year?

Yup doing it. We're with the Trail event this year, so going to be a fairly sedate 3 days methinks :)

My strategy would be to try and remain LC "as much as possible" until race starts. If "adapted", burning more fat for fuel can be a major advantage, thus that's what I'm trying maximize. I feel that suddenly eating carbs BEFORE race could diminish that advantage. Once racing and immediately post race/stage is where I would use high GI carbs.

We all respond differently and have to find what works best, but that would be my start.

Very interesting & pretty much what I found. How do you ensure that glycogen stores are fully stocked prior to start?

Yup doing it. We're with the Trail event this year, so going to be a fairly sedate 3 days methinks :)

Pity, it would have been nice to meet up.

I suspect that the sharp end of the Adv/Trail is as competitive as anyone except the sharpest okes would need? I prefer the less stressed atmosphere too - guys are chilled and enjoying...

We've had some long days (e.g. the year my twins were born - end of April - destroying my training plans) and the humour at the back of the pack almost makes it worth riding there.

I did the first day of last year on water only - my brother had been training by eating pasta and drinking red wine in Italy for a couple of weeks and wasn't in peakest form so it was an easy pace. I finished ok, but have to admit I was not feeling super-charged by the end of the day.

The second day I didn't want to play, so judiciously ate.

The third day I just tucked in to any goody in sight. I can't say I felt any stronger/faster than when eating judiciously the second day.

I ordered a bunch of stuff online before I went on April leave so that it would be waiting for me when I got back and I could freshen up my bike before Sani - granny/middle chain ring, chain, sprocket, BB.

Got back to work at the beginning of this week and nada. So got the BB and will go with my commuter worn chain gear. Should be ok, but we will see...

Ok. Some advice please. I have a few indulgences which haunt me with cravings. Most of all: full cream real dairy ice cream, and also chocolate (the really good stuff). I've been drinking a drink made with full cream milk, double cream, and pure cocoa which helps with the chocolate cravings... But nothing seems to replace the ice cream... I've stopped all sugar for about 8 days now.... Perhaps just more time?

It is going to take some time. Just hang in there and be strong.

Got sick last night thanks to an ice cream (at 23H00 after the visit to the LBS), and to be honest, it is not worth it.

Doing the race, unfortunately, would have been nice to meet up with you guys...

Ok. Some advice please. I have a few indulgences which haunt me with cravings. Most of all: full cream real dairy ice cream, and also chocolate (the really good stuff). I've been drinking a drink made with full cream milk, double cream, and pure cocoa which helps with the chocolate cravings... But nothing seems to replace the ice cream... I've stopped all sugar for about 8 days now.... Perhaps just more time?

Google Peter Attia icecream - make your own. There may be a recipe on the first page of this thread.

Make sure you're eating enough - cravings can also be hypoglycemia.

Very interesting & pretty much what I found. How do you ensure that glycogen stores are fully stocked prior to start?

Short answer, I don't... Was thinking exactly along the same lines. I was contemplating various strategies to fill up on glycogen. In the end I decided to back off on high intensity training week before race and eat LCHF as per normal and rely on body to "stock up" on LC foods. That's why I was quite apprehensive before long hard race, but went really well. If you have any other strategy please share! :)

Short answer, I don't... Was thinking exactly along the same lines. I was contemplating various strategies to fill up on glycogen. In the end I decided to back off on high intensity training week before race and eat LCHF as per normal and rely on body to "stock up" on LC foods. That's why I was quite apprehensive before long hard race, but went really well. If you have any other strategy please share! :)

I know that the whole recovery window thing has been pretty much discredited but I am afraid I can't let it go. Especially with a low carb life style. After a hard session I use a recovery drink ASAP then get back to low carb.

When on the trainer I drink about half a bottle of energy drink in the last 5 minutes when cooling down.

Works for me

LCHF - Only eat when hungry, right?

Immediately after high intensity rides/sessions - I'm never hungry. My first hunger signals starts about 1hr-1.5hr afterwards. So, so should one wait and ignore the proverbial immediate post exercise "recovery window"...?

It's well documented that hard exercise suppresses appetite. There are obviously reasons for this.

Good enough reasons to NOT eat until hungry?

I came across an lchf based article saying that the body takes a lot longer then we think to absorb and use the nutrients we give it during training. It was basically saying that if you are doing hard session in the morning, what is important is what you ate for supper the day before. Not what you snacked on just before session. Furthermore, it recommended that no need for immediate recovery snack just after session. Wait until hungry. The body mechanisms to deal with muscle recovery and "over heating" was mentioned as some of the reasons why appetite is reduced. But basically hormones regulating appetite.

Any thoughts on this? (I'm still "forcing down" some post exercise carbs)

LCHF - Only eat when hungry, right?

Immediately after high intensity rides/sessions - I'm never hungry. My first hunger signals starts about 1hr-1.5hr afterwards. So, so should one wait and ignore the proverbial immediate post exercise "recovery window"...?

It's well documented that hard exercise suppresses appetite. There are obviously reasons for this.

Good enough reasons to NOT eat until hungry?

I came across an lchf based article saying that the body takes a lot longer then we think to absorb and use the nutrients we give it during training. It was basically saying that if you are doing hard session in the morning, what is important is what you ate for supper the day before. Not what you snacked on just before session. Furthermore, it recommended that no need for immediate recovery snack just after session. Wait until hungry. The body mechanisms to deal with muscle recovery and "over heating" was mentioned as some of the reasons why appetite is reduced. But basically hormones regulating appetite.

Any thoughts on this? (I'm still "forcing down" some post exercise carbs)

One of the the other reasons that one needn't worry is lactate translocation (I can't remember the specifics on the name or numbers)

Through this process your body has the ability to replace up to 50% (I think) of it's glycogen stores from the lactic acid present in the body. This is the same mechanism/process that supplies your muscles with energy during exercise from the present lactic acid.

Note, this is really simplified and lactic acid =! available energy. There are intermediate processes which allow the lactic acid to be "transformed" and shuttled to be used as energy. I believe this goes hand in hand with GLUT1 and GLUT4 translocation.

+1 for me, Im also pretty curious to hear to to fill up the stores.. anyone tips / advice / food types. approximately 1 week leading up to a race??