LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Short answer, I don't... Was thinking exactly along the same lines. I was contemplating various strategies to fill up on glycogen. In the end I decided to back off on high intensity training week before race and eat LCHF as per normal and rely on body to "stock up" on LC foods. That's why I was quite apprehensive before long hard race, but went really well. If you have any other strategy please share! :)

Branne I'm with you stocking up on LCHF although I tend to lean more towards Paleo I guess. Sweet potato, butternut, pumpkin etc couple of days prerace. Also depends on how long the race is. However on race morning I have a coffee and muffin. I tried going without but really struggled. I'm generally not hungry after the race and don't always eat immediately. I will have water and/or Coke (yes yes I know) immediately after the race. The depletion of glycogen stores and replenishment has been well researched and documented.

Vetseun

No

No

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Branne I'm with you stocking up on LCHF although I tend to lean more towards Paleo I guess. Sweet potato, butternut, pumpkin etc couple of days prerace. Also depends on how long the race is. However on race morning I have a coffee and muffin. I tried going without but really struggled. I'm generally not hungry after the race and don't always eat immediately. I will have water and/or Coke (yes yes I know) immediately after the race. The depletion of glycogen stores and replenishment has been well researched and documented.

Vetseun

No

No

Bummer

On the question of carbo loading .... are we not possibly missing something here?

The logic behind using LCHF as a fuelling strategy is to train our bodies to use fat for fuel ... but ...

1. We know that we need glucose when exercising in an anaerobic state (roughly 80% HRmax or more).

2. We know that being fat adapted reduces the requirement for glucose during exercise, and,

3. We know that taking carbs when not exercising reduces the body's ability to burn fat.

So ... why reduce the bodies ability to burn fat in the days before we want to make most use of this fat burning advantage? Surely it makes more sense to take those carb only when needed? What I am suggesting is that you stick with LCHF right up until 30min before you start the race, then start taking your carbs and continue for the duration of the exercise/race. Surely even a heavily fat adapted person would have enough glucose stored for the first half hour of exercise?

Or am I missing something here?

On the question of carbo loading .... are we not possibly missing something here?

The logic behind using LCHF as a fuelling strategy is to train our bodies to use fat for fuel ... but ...

1. We know that we need glucose when exercising in an anaerobic state (roughly 80% HRmax or more).

2. We know that being fat adapted reduces the requirement for glucose during exercise, and,

3. We know that taking carbs when not exercising reduces the body's ability to burn fat.

So ... why reduce the bodies ability to burn fat in the days before we want to make most use of this fat burning advantage? Surely it makes more sense to take those carb only when needed? What I am suggesting is that you stick with LCHF right up until 30min before you start the race, then start taking your carbs and continue for the duration of the exercise/race. Surely even a heavily fat adapted person would have enough glucose stored for the first half hour of exercise?

Or am I missing something here?

Agree with this, cannot say my agreement is from experience (4 weeks into my second attempt at fat adaption) but seems logical. I would (do) extend the use of carbs to hard training days. If you want to train with intensity you need the correct fuel.

Think I may have finally gotten somewhere with this blasted diet.

In the past month I have dropped about 4kg. A bit worried about that. Seems a little quick for me. I started drinking more water thinking perhaps I am measuring dehydration but no, the weight keeps coming off. Went from 83kg to just under 79. Was a shade over 84kg at the beginning of the year.

I have started eating more to slow the weight loss. So far that is not working but we will see. I do have weight to lose. My target is 74kg. I am 181cm so not a real fatty even now.

What I was terrible with in the past was fruit and about every second day a soda. Fruit I have dropped to just 2 pieces a day. Living on fatty cuts of meat, eggs, salads and steamed veges. Find I am craving veges so it's spinach at breakfast and broccoli, colli flower, gems and such like at dinner. Eggs for breakfast and meat at supper. After decades as a vegetarian turns out I like liver. Beef and chicken.

My riding has been on the back burner. Busy times at work and a divorce caused that. Slowly get back into it. I have noticed on the trainer that my power is up and that seems odd in view of how little training I have done. Perhaps something needs to be calibrated. Average power over an hour is up more than 10%. The extra weight I am carrying will negate that.

Yesterday I decided to do Suikerbos reserve. It was windy. My best time ever in still conditions was 2:09. I knew I was way too unfit and fat to get near that but I thought I would do my best. The wind would cost me at least 5 minutes and my weight about 10 minutes. Who know with my poor fitness. I ended up doing 2:25. Not bad.

What was interesting is it's the first time I did that ride with just water. Breakfast was about 100 g of Kassler. I expected to really suffer but no such thing. I felt really good. Average hr was 164

Think I may have finally gotten somewhere with this blasted diet.

In the past month I have dropped about 4kg. A bit worried about that. Seems a little quick for me

[snip]

What was interesting is it's the first time I did that ride with just water. Breakfast was about 100 g of Kassler. I expected to really suffer but no such thing. I felt really good. Average hr was 164

I've been seeing great results from the diet. I've managed to shed 15kg's in around 16 or 17 weeks. It's getting harder to remember how many weeks I've been doing it.

I've found it quite amazing that 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast sustains me longer that a huge bowl of mueselli. My riding is getting stronger, but I put that down to fitness in general and the loss of the extra weight. Who needs needs to count grams on your bike components, when you can just not eat that slice of bread :thumbup:

Damn damn!!

I've got two go to desserts, Eton mess and a variation of creme brulee.

Eton mess: Whip up some cream with a touch of vanilla essence. And get a few berries including some strawberries. Put a portion of the berries through a blender/food processor to get some juice and use it to pour over the plated up cream and berries.

Creme Brulee: follow the basics of this recipe (http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/creme-brulee-193)

For 4 people, half the recipe. I used Woolies double Thick cream, 1 vanilla pod and 2-3 flat tablespoons of honey as a sugar substitute (Stevia or the like could also be used, I'm more paleo and allow for the odd bit of sugar in the form of honey once every now and then.) Leave out the top sugar coating and you are left with a set custard that is delicious. Fat 92%, Protein 3% and Carb 5%.

I've got two go to desserts, Eton mess and a variation of creme brulee.

Eton mess: Whip up some cream with a touch of vanilla essence. And get a few berries including some strawberries. Put a portion of the berries through a blender/food processor to get some juice and use it to pour over the plated up cream and berries.

Creme Brulee: follow the basics of this recipe (http://www.nigella.c...reme-brulee-193)

For 4 people, half the recipe. I used Woolies double Thick cream, 1 vanilla pod and 2-3 flat tablespoons of honey as a sugar substitute (Stevia or the like could also be used, I'm more paleo and allow for the odd bit of sugar in the form of honey once every now and then.) Leave out the top sugar coating and you are left with a set custard that is delicious. Fat 92%, Protein 3% and Carb 5%.

Thanks Mate

Another really quick desert option ....

One tin coconut cream - chilled

250ml fresh cream

1-2 teaspoons Nomu skinny hot chocolate powder

Put in blender together and whip together till it forms a mousse .... just watch it carefully as the consistency changes quite quickly once it starts to form.

Very important that the bowl and ingredients are COLD ... otherwise the coconut cream won't whip nicely.

Serve in wine glasses with grated dark chocolate on top :)