LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Finally, finally come to the start of what I hope will be my own journey. I have 28kg to lose to get to my goal of 85kg, which is definitely achievable. Now to start trying to incorporate the principles into my everyday life, including cooking dinner etc.

Just had my first breakfast. Black coffee, loads of water, half an avo and 23 boiled eggs with a bit of mayo.

Lunch is either a tin of tuna (in oil) or a chicken breast, and the other half of an avo.

I hope that is your own olive oil and not the industrial vegetable oil. Polyunsaturated fats = bad.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had my first breakfast. Black coffee, loads of water, half an avo and 23 boiled eggs with a bit of mayo.

23 boiled eggs should tide you over for a while... ^_^

Does anyone listen to podcasts? I usually listen to audiobooks or me own music as I find local radio unbearable.

Now bored with audiobooks so I thought I might get all technilogickal and try podcasts...

Does anyone listen to podcasts? I usually listen to audiobooks or me own music as I find local radio unbearable.

All the time. Favourites (in order)

Health related stuff

Primal Blueprint -Mark Sisson

Living la vida low carb - jimmy moore

fat burning man - Abel James

bullet proof radio - by the bullet proof coffee guy ... i forget his name

ask the low carb experts - jimmy moore. this seems to have come to an end late last year but there is still good info in the archives.

You can also try

Chris Kresser's revolution health radio but I find it a bit dry

Vinnie Totorich's Angry trainer - has interesting guests but way to much bs, padding, swearing for my liking

Other general interest stuff ....

Comedy

Nic Rabinowitz on radio 702's 'week that wasn't

NPR's wait wait don't tell me,

Tech stuff

Macworld,

MacPowerusers

TechHive's clockwise

It's not hard to subscribe or manage these things nowadays. very, very simple if you have iPhone / iPod / iPad (get the free podcasts app) or iTunes on a computer , slightly less simple with Android but still do-able.

I hope that is your own olive oil and not the industrial vegetable oil. Polyunsaturated fats = bad.

nope. It was the tuna in veg oil from WW. Last time I get the ones in oil then. Will let it go to the cat tonight and have the chicken instead.

nope. It was the tuna in veg oil from WW. Last time I get the ones in oil then. Will let it go to the cat tonight and have the chicken instead.

Or get the tuna in spring water. Also go easy on the mayo.

nope. It was the tuna in veg oil from WW. Last time I get the ones in oil then.

perhaps try these (woolworths and PnP both stock them). just right amount for a quick snack, add your own olive oil.

http://www.woolworths.co.za/store/fragments/product-details/product-details-index.jsp?productId=5000171033987&_requestid=316932

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 12.35.59 PM.PDF

Edited by DaleE

It's not hard to subscribe or manage these things nowadays. very, very simple if you have iPhone / iPod / iPad (get the free podcasts app) or iTunes on a computer , slightly less simple with Android but still do-able.

Yeh - so I found out. Just had the boss come and tell me to please stop chowing the entire company's bandwidth as they can't work.

Don't select a couple of podcast providers and click 'Download All'... :ph34r:

Some strange ingredients

Light meat tuna, Vegetable oil, Spirit vinegar, Spring onions, Sugar, Garlic, Modified tapioca starch, Egg yolks, Mustard, Salt, Herb, Stabiliser - Xanthan gum, Spice.

Yes and check the price. Once you take the added junk out you are looking at about 60g of tuna for just under R20. That's flipping insane.

Ok, I've been trawling through the literature to find references to the fact that saturated animal fats aren't the best when it comes to trying to lose weight. Haven't come up with much success TBH. So can someone help me out?I've always understood that besides coconut oil, saturated animal fats should be our first, second and third choice when it comes to healthy LCHF living.

Personally, 90% of my fat intake intake is from animal sources and coconut oil, and the rest a mix between monounsaturates and omega 3 PUFAs from fish. Besides ease of dropping weight I have literally never been healthier (according to my GP).

Of course, the only animal fats to have in careful moderation are the non-ruminants like pork and chicken, which we should know by now.

Edited by tombeej

Ok, I've been trawling through the literature to find references to the fact that saturated animal fats aren't the best when it comes to trying to lose weight.

I got the the idea for limiting Sat fats from reading Ron Rosedale's Diet book. His focus is on leptin and controlling / kick starting it. Seemed logical and worked for me :)

In Chapter 6 he states:

post-27777-0-37473000-1400865930_thumb.jpg

I got the the idea for limiting Sat fats from reading Ron Rosedale's Diet book. His focus is on leptin and controlling / kick starting it. Seemed logical and worked for me :)

In Chapter 6 he states:

post-27777-0-37473000-1400865930_thumb.jpg

I have to admit this is news to me.

Not sure what to think of it but suppose it makes sense. I had no problem losing weight but I was quite fanatical about following the 'New Atkins for a New You' plan.

When I think about it NAfaNY does not go overboard with Sat fat, but it doesn't exactly limit it either.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with Ron Rosedale. But is he LCHF? From that passage it doesn't sound he subscribes to a high fat diet.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with Ron Rosedale. But is he LCHF? From that passage it doesn't sound he subscribes to a high fat diet.

Yup, is very much a LCHF based approach .... would I recommend anything else?? :eek:

Very important to note that this 'non-sat fats' approach is only for the first few weeks to kick start weight loss. Its NOT a long term feature of his diet.

Please understand that I'm not in any way suggesting that Sat fats are bad for you ... if you can loose weight / be healthy with lots of Sat-fats in your diet, that is first prize. This approach worked for me when I plateaued far above my ideal weight and helped kick start the process again. Now that I'm where I want to be, I have lots more sat fats in my diet and all is well :clap:

At the end of the day it's a very similar approach to the Spanish Keto diet study that was done some time back (good results, but a very small sample size). http://www.nutritionj.com/content/7/1/30