LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Hi guys, just started Keto and I thought you veterans could help me out ;)

It's killing me looking at Keto recipes on international sites because they all have this amazing **** like "low-carb barbeque sauce" that they cover ribs in and end up with 6 grams of carbs in a kilo of ribs :(

Do we have access to anything like that in SA? Joburg, more specifically ;)

Google a recipe and then if need be tweak it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the problem - the recipes list a bunch of stuff we don't seem to have have.

Low carb variants of sauces, special types of flour with no carbs; all kinds of low-carb substitutes really. Just don't think I'm going to have any luck finding almond flour at the Spar.

I make my own almond flour. I have seen it for sale in health stores. I think the problem is this lifestyle takes you out of your comfort zone in many ways. You cannot even look at supermarket shelves in the same way. Perhaps you need to even change where you shop. You can certainly start skipping entire sections of the supermarket.

I also think you can't just always find equivalents. Why do you need a sweet sticky barbecue sauce for example? It was suggested I use butter on my steak and it works a treat.

It really is a change in mindset.

That's the problem - the recipes list a bunch of stuff we don't seem to have have.

Low carb variants of sauces, special types of flour with no carbs; all kinds of low-carb substitutes really. Just don't think I'm going to have any luck finding almond flour at the Spar.

Make your own almond flour by grinding whole almonds (skin and all) in a coffee grinder.

Thickener that works well for sauces is something called xantham gum.

You would be surprised what Spar has - see if they have a "Natures Choice" section - mine has quite a comprehensive selection.

I see the basis for most Keto BBQ sauces is low sugar ketchup which I have never seen in our shops... They are probably full of all sorts of other bad stuffs anyway so try this:

http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/05/homemade-ketchup-recipe.html

Replace the brown sugar with xylitol - and go to taste rather that throwing a whole 1/4 cup in. One thing that will change on this eating style is your perception of sweet.

Disclaimer: I have never made the ketchup - I goggled it this morning and went for the one with the most simple approach and ingredients

I make my own almond flour. I have seen it for sale in health stores. I think the problem is this lifestyle takes you out of your comfort zone in many ways. You cannot even look at supermarket shelves in the same way. Perhaps you need to even change where you shop. You can certainly start skipping entire sections of the supermarket.

I also think you can't just always find equivalents. Why do you need a sweet sticky barbecue sauce for example? It was suggested I use butter on my steak and it works a treat.

It really is a change in mindset.

Oh the BBQ sauce was just an example. But this recipe for example said:

Put a bunch of short ribs in a crock pot, cover with low-carb BBQ sauce, bake for 8 hours.

I mean that sounds amazing, but it's so easy because the sauce can be bought as is - doesn't require all kinds of preparation. Just wish we had more access to convenient stuff like that :)

But perhaps, as you say, it's better to stop trying to emulate non-keto and just embrace keto :)

I see the basis for most Keto BBQ sauces is low sugar ketchup which I have never seen in our shops... They are probably full of all sorts of other bad stuffs anyway so try this:

http://www.simplyscr...hup-recipe.html

Replace the brown sugar with xylitol - and go to taste rather that throwing a whole 1/4 cup in. One thing that will change on this eating style is your perception of sweet.

Disclaimer: I have never made the ketchup - I goggled it this morning and went for the one with the most simple approach and ingredients

I remember seeing a "light" All Gold quite some time ago, not sure if they still make it or if it's low-carb enough for our purposes.

You're right about that Nature's Own stuff though - I actually remember my Spar has a section with all that "health-food" kind of stuff - little pricey, but could definitely be worth checking out.

Building on from your statement though - is Xylitol okay?

Honestly I've had a nightmare trying to research sweeteners - some people say stuff like Aspartame throws you out of keto, some say that's BS. Some say the sugar alcohols (like Xylitol) are amazing because they aren't digested, others say to stay far away because they ruin keto etc. etc.

The biggest challenge I've had is conflicting information. Some guides say strawberries are fibrous and therefore rather safe, others say the fructose in a single strawberry will throw you out of keto. I've started eyeing my Diet Coke with extreme suspicion ;)

Sorry as this is rather unrelated to my previous question, but I must say I've been struggling with all the conflicting info in trying to be as well-researched into this as possible. Have any of you experienced similar challenges?

Edited by KetoNoob

Get the Tim Noakes book - it has a green, orange and red list in and makes a great go too if u are unsure. LCHF can be expensive if u want it to but also not - eg if I want Low carb rusks they are pricey to make but at the same time they are seen as a treat. Real food is your best asset - simple and effective. Make a nice rich indulgent mushroom and cream sauce for your steak, it will fill u up and diminish other cravings to fill a gap that is missing.

The biggest challenge I've had is conflicting information. Some guides say strawberries are fibrous and therefore rather safe, others say the fructose in a single strawberry will throw you out of keto. I've started eyeing my Diet Coke with extreme suspicion ;)

Sorry as this is rather unrelated to my previous question, but I must say I've been struggling with all the conflicting info in trying to be as well-researched into this as possible. Have any of you experienced similar challenges?

Welcome to the land of nutritional "science". I'm willing to bet you that for every study /expert / scientist / etc you find that says "X is true", I can find one that says "X is false". The reason for this is simple ... nutritional science is severely flawed for a few reasons:

1. people are all different

2. every study refers to the average and conclusions are drawn from averages. imho, the bell shaped curve is a curse.

3. there is never a true control group. any dietary intervention changes peoples eating habits. Even just asking what they eat will change their behaviour.

So, for me the answer, is read a lot, believe a little ..... and experiment, then experiment some more. Find out what works for you, not everyone else in the bell curve :)

You may find strawberries are fine, maybe not.

Ketosis is not the holy grail, and may be so hard for some folk to achieve that it derails their lchf journey. if you find yourself in ketosis, great. if not, don't stress about it. rather concentrate on fat adaptation and the benefits that it brings.

Lastly, you may want to spend some time trawling through this tread - some of you concerns have been discussed already and you will find some other stuff not yet printed in the books :)

First week on LCHF done and dusted - lost 2.9kg - very exited.

I am busy reading through the whole tread - but it is taking some time. Really a lot of information!

So sorry if I repeat questions already asked.

I feel good and except for the craving for diet soda - I adapted good.

Regarding my training over the weekend, I felt flat - my legs were hurting and after a hour on Sunday afternoon I had this extreme hunger!

Well I know you guys said it would take some time to adapt, and I know everyone is different - but how long before I will start feeling better on the bike?

PS I decided to go full LCHF on the bike only water.

Regarding my training over the weekend, I felt flat - my legs were hurting and after a hour on Sunday afternoon I had this extreme hunger!

Well I know you guys said it would take some time to adapt, and I know everyone is different - but how long before I will start feeling better on the bike?

PS I decided to go full LCHF on the bike only water.

Firstly congrats on the first week - it gets easier over time.

Roughly (very, very roughly) allow the following:

1-2 weeks for your body to adapt and the cravings / headaches / low energy to start to subside

2-3 weeks before you start feeling a bit better with low intensity (aerobic) exercise

2-4 weeks before you start to feel like you can ride all day on water only at low intensity

1-4 months before you are back to full sprinting power on the bike

In short, take it easy for a month and hang in there when you feel lousy. go for lots of easy coffee rides and enjoy the scenery. Thereafter build steadily as you would with any other training.

Rossouw is one of your most vocal critics, who is wedded to the diet/heart disease hypothesis, is a fan of statins (which you call the “ single most ineffective drugs ever invented”), cites lots of research, including his own, (in the debate and elsewhere) and clearly believes your diet is potentially harmful. Does he have any points?

This is a man who has spent $700million of American taxpayers’ money in a clinical trial that lasted eight years, and proved that cutting fat from the diet had absolutely no beneficial effect whatsoever on the health of post-menopausal women. In fact, I was the first to show and publish in the SAMJ (November 2013), that his own data showed that women with established heart disease, who reduced their fat intake, were more likely to suffer subsequent heart attacks, than women with heart disease who continued to eat their conventional higher-fat diet. He showed the same for patients with diabetes. Neither he nor anyone else was brave enough to own up to these inconvenient findings. When you spend that magnitude of other peoples’ money, and disprove your own deeply held dogmas, you have to say: I was wrong. Reducing the fat in your diet may well make you worse. Instead, he continues to say the opposite. That, unfortunately, is not science. It is religion.

Eina!! I wonder what Rossouw junior is going to have to say about this...? :ph34r:

Edit:

And at the end of the article:

*Prof Jacques Rossouw has been invited to respond

Be interesting if he does respond...

Edited by davetapson

Saw foodlovers market had a lchf section on their menu this weekend and decided to try it out. Ordered the spicey buffalo wings with a blue cheese sauce option, but when they brought it to me the guy served it with a nice sideplate of chips :oops: luckily had no issue resisting it

Rossouw is one of your most vocal critics, who is wedded to the diet/heart disease hypothesis, is a fan of statins (which you call the “ single most ineffective drugs ever invented”), cites lots of research, including his own, (in the debate and elsewhere) and clearly believes your diet is potentially harmful. Does he have any points?

This is a man who has spent $700million of American taxpayers’ money in a clinical trial that lasted eight years, and proved that cutting fat from the diet had absolutely no beneficial effect whatsoever on the health of post-menopausal women. In fact, I was the first to show and publish in the SAMJ (November 2013), that his own data showed that women with established heart disease, who reduced their fat intake, were more likely to suffer subsequent heart attacks, than women with heart disease who continued to eat their conventional higher-fat diet. He showed the same for patients with diabetes. Neither he nor anyone else was brave enough to own up to these inconvenient findings. When you spend that magnitude of other peoples’ money, and disprove your own deeply held dogmas, you have to say: I was wrong. Reducing the fat in your diet may well make you worse. Instead, he continues to say the opposite. That, unfortunately, is not science. It is religion.

Eina!! I wonder what Rossouw junior is going to have to say about this...? :ph34r:

Edit:

And at the end of the article:

*Prof Jacques Rossouw has been invited to respond

Be interesting if he does respond...

I think this article should be pinned to the OP.

Saw foodlovers market had a lchf section on their menu this weekend and decided to try it out. Ordered the spicey buffalo wings with a blue cheese sauce option, but when they brought it to me the guy served it with a nice sideplate of chips :oops: luckily had no issue resisting it

Speaking of food lovers - popped into one today and skimmed all the cheese and ham and olives off one of their salads- chucked in a few tomatoes and a dollop of mayo. , added some seed mix. And then bought a tub of their Curdsandwhey plain full cream yogurt.

Very nice and creamy. ( the rest is going home with me)

Tonight is left offer braaied yellow tail, flaked, added to fried up onion and mushroom. Cup of cream and bake in the oven with cheese on top. :)