LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JC you will have to bring your own. Last year Hakahana did not have a licence to sell alcohol.

They confirmed that they will have beer this year

Edit:

Did a race in potch today...have been on this diet for about 2 weeks now and could really feel that i did not have the power in my legs, but the fact that i havent been training that hard the last few weeks might have contributed :whistling:. Started the race as if i had someting to prove to myself, but later on realised that i would not be able to keep this up and eased off a bit and really enjoy the race and the people on the trail. I havent felt this good in a while (as i have been feeling these last 2 weeks) so ive made peace with the fact that it will take some time to get back to my best self (not like that was very impressive though). Luckily i missed the entries for im 70.3 otherwise i might have felt a bit different

Edited by Oxter

I do the same as JC.

Have been LCHF or 2 years now. I like to think race hard ( 2nd in Knysna re:cm 200 recently ) my partner is carb fuelled for the record.

I have learnt for me what works best is 'fuel to race' , I take whole carbs during an event, that's breakfast,lunch and supper.

Outside of event I am LCHF, on higher and longer intensity training rides I will take an energy bar with, and have a recovery shake as well.

Edited by McD23

Hi all, so my wife and I started with LCHF and a personal trainer this morning at 5am at the gym. Must say it was hard. My wife also got weak and felt dizzy (duiselig). Any recommendations as to what to eat to prevent that before going to the gym? PT said a banana before workout but that is high carbs! Also are there any supplements we should take perhaps something like a low-carb whey protein powder post workout?

Hi all, so my wife and I started with LCHF and a personal trainer this morning at 5am at the gym. Must say it was hard. My wife also got weak and felt dizzy (duiselig). Any recommendations as to what to eat to prevent that before going to the gym? PT said a banana before workout but that is high carbs! Also are there any supplements we should take perhaps something like a low-carb whey protein powder post workout?

Salt deficiency might be the cause of dizziness. On a low carb diet few things might happen that can bring this about. First cutting junk food will decrease your salt intake dramatically. Second eating low carb causes insulin levels to drop, and this will lead to excretion of more fluid, which in turn leads to losing more salt through urine.

Typical symptoms of salt loss includes dizziness, fatigue,dull headaches and difficulty concentrating. There is a simple way to find out whether this is the cause: drink a glass of salt water and notice if your symptoms disappear or improve within 30 minutes. Mix half teaspoon of salt in glass of water. If this cures the problem simply increase salt intake in diet, and or include a drink of a salty broth before exercise. I try to eat normal food and don't use protein powders or the like. What about a nice piece of droë wors as a post workout snack? Fat protein and salt in one easy tasty package!

Because of the diuretic effect of this diet other minerals are also lost of which magnesium is the most important. Symptoms include muscle cramps during sleep and or exercise. A chelated magnesium supplement might be worthwhile to use while on LCHF. Absorption of the chelated magnesium is reported to be better and other forms of magnesium supplementation might be mildly laxative.

Edited by Sniffie

They confirmed that they will have beer this year

Edit:

Did a race in potch today...have been on this diet for about 2 weeks now and could really feel that i did not have the power in my legs, but the fact that i havent been training that hard the last few weeks might have contributed :whistling:. Started the race as if i had someting to prove to myself, but later on realised that i would not be able to keep this up and eased off a bit and really enjoy the race and the people on the trail. I havent felt this good in a while (as i have been feeling these last 2 weeks) so ive made peace with the fact that it will take some time to get back to my best self (not like that was very impressive though). Luckily i missed the entries for im 70.3 otherwise i might have felt a bit different

Also did the Potch race, it was one of my worst and most uncomfortable in a long time! I made the stupid mistake of having home made pizza with normal wheat flour on friday night as well as a piece on saturday morning. I was bloated and had stomach cramps for the entire 2 and a half hours! Bread or normal pizza before a race? Never again!

Salt deficiency might be the cause of dizziness. On a low carb diet few things might happen that can bring this about. First cutting junk food will decrease your salt intake dramatically. Second eating low carb causes insulin levels to drop, and this will lead to excretion of more fluid, which in turn leads to losing more salt through urine.

Typical symptoms of salt loss includes dizziness, fatigue,dull headaches and difficulty concentrating. There is a simple way to find out whether this is the cause: drink a glass of salt water and notice if your symptoms disappear or improve within 30 minutes. Mix half teaspoon of salt in glass of water. If this cures the problem simply increase salt intake in diet, and or include a drink of a salty broth before exercise. I try to eat normal food and don't use protein powders or the like. What about a nice piece of droë wors as a post workout snack? Fat protein and salt in one easy tasty package!

Because of the diuretic effect of this diet other minerals are also lost of which magnesium is the most important. Symptoms include muscle cramps during sleep and or exercise. A chelated magnesium supplement might be worthwhile to use while on LCHF. Absorption of the chelated magnesium is reported to be better and other forms of magnesium supplementation might be mildly laxative.

This is excellent advice. One thing I can add is to put about a 100ml of coconut cream in your water bottle and a pinch of salt. Coconuts contain a high level of MCT oil, which put simply, is the easiest fat metabolised into energy. You could alternatively, have a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil before you go to gym or on a ride.

I also noticed, that it took me about 3 weeks for my body to become accustomed to the diet and the cravings for sugar and carbs and weird mood swings to stop completely.

Highlights

Weight production functions often assume an energy balance model of weight gain. •

We conduct time series and panel analyses of weight accumulation in 164 countries. •

We confirm that increasing carbohydrates intake is associated with rising obesity. •

A 1% increase in carbohydrates yields a 1 point increase in obesity over 5 years. •

A 1% increase in fat intake yields a 0.24 point decrease in obesity over 5 years.

Abstract

Recent clinical research has studied weight responses to varying diet composition, but the contribution of changes in macronutrient intake and physical activity to rising population weight remains controversial. Research on the economics of obesity typically assumes a “calories in, calories out” framework, but a weight production model separating caloric intake into carbohydrates, fat, and protein, has not been explored in an economic framework. To estimate the contributions of changes in macronutrient intake and physical activity to changes in population weight, we conducted dynamic time series and structural VAR analyses of U.S. data between 1974 and 2006 and a panel analysis of 164 countries between 2001 and 2010. Findings from all analyses suggest that increases in carbohydrates are most strongly and positively associated with increases in obesity prevalence even when controlling for changes in total caloric intake and occupation-related physical activity. Our structural VAR results suggest that, on the margin, a 1% increase in carbohydrates intake yields a 1.01 point increase in obesity prevalence over 5 years while an equal percent increase in fat intake decreases obesity prevalence by 0.24 points.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570677X1400046X

After three weeks on LCHF - 4kg down - a better weekend on the bike - feeling great :D On this stage the most difficult for me is that this way of eating is a whole mind shift! It is totally the opposite of what I/the greater part of the population knew of nutrition. First: fat make fat - busy getting over that statement.... Second: you have to have breakfast, I tried bulletproof coffee and could not get it down, then I tried htone's fatshake with the salt I could not drink it but without it is actually drinkable but now there is no need for breakfast because this keep me full

A question for those in the know, will a glass or 2 of wine a night cause weight loss stall?

Also, is cream and cheese considered dairy, ie do they have lots of carbs like milk? I am going to try and cut it down for 2 weeks and see what happens.

I try not to have milk in my life but have lots of cream. That way you can avoid both the lactose (milk sugar) and casein found in milk.

I try not to have milk in my life but have lots of cream. That way you can avoid both the lactose (milk sugar) and casein found in milk.

Is there no lactose in cream?

Is there no lactose in cream?

It was my understanding that there's no lactose in cream or butter, but I may be wrong. There may well be very small amounts in commercial cream, I guess.

Here's Mark Sisson's pretty comprehensive take on dairy.

Edit: just done some quick reading to try educate myself. Seems there's definitely lactose in cream, just reduced amounts. However, I still rate my cream - luckily I don't have any tolerance issues.

Edited by tombeej