Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Tumbleweed

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tumbles is the OP. Did I miss something? Did he also admit to doping? Maybe dopping at his favourite pub. ^_^

But I agree with the rest of your post.

Hahahahaha!

I do share a first name with the person in question… :whistling:

Some suggest he do the races, yes, but I think you're missing the point here. Why punish a guy to death when he's admitted it all? He's willing to accept the 2 year ban, which is a rather hectic punishment. But now they want to nail hiom with a HUGE fine. We as South Aricans cannot be paying in another currency with our weak one. R2500, by all means, maybe even to max R10k.

It reminds me of this Afrikaans joke:

'n Grap is 'n grap, maar 'n mens maak nie 'n sambreel in 'n man se gat oop nie.

There are a few separate issues here.

1. He cheated, took drugs. Loads of other riders who have been caught got 2 yr bans and no one argued for a lesser sentence in those cases. Most times, it was that the bans should have been life time.

2. Just because he is South Africa, should not mean any preferential treatment.

3. The size of the fine should have nothing to do with it. Rules got broken. The rider has always admitted that he will deal with the consequences of his actions. Now that those consequences have been dealt out, it seems everyone like some side stepping wants to be done.

Some suggest he do the races, yes, but I think you're missing the point here. Why punish a guy to death when he's admitted it all? He's willing to accept the 2 year ban, which is a rather hectic punishment. But now they want to nail hiom with a HUGE fine. We as South Aricans cannot be paying in another currency with our weak one. R2500, by all means, maybe even to max R10k.

It reminds me of this Afrikaans joke:

'n Grap is 'n grap, maar 'n mens maak nie 'n sambreel in 'n man se gat oop nie.

R2 500 is a set of brakes. Hardly a serious fine in the context of a UCI event.

Why sell the bikes? Is he not allowed to ride at a personal capacity either?

The idea as said, is him not being able to afford the fine? If 'rules' stipulate that 'fines' as well as a ban are applicable in doping, then surely a plan must be made? If I cant afford to pay bond, car repayments etc. what happens to my house & car? I just tell the bank that I cant afford them and they let me keep them but just pay whatever I can?

The idea as said, is him not being able to afford the fine? If 'rules' stipulate that 'fines' as well as a ban are applicable in doping, then surely a plan must be made? If I cant afford to pay bond, car repayments etc. what happens to my house & car? I just tell the bank that I cant afford them and they let me keep them but just pay whatever I can?

Guest Travis.

R2 500 is a set of brakes. Hardly a serious fine in the context of a UCI event.

Fair point. But look at that list that TW posted, no one got fines, why should he then?

That's what I suggested to the UCI. I cc'd William Newman (the big cheese at CSA) in on the mail and await a response. I was provisionally suspended from all races until the outcome. A few ppl have suggested just racing anyway and stuff CSA, but that's not the right thing to do. Also, the last thing I need is a heaftier sentence for blatant defiance. I'll take the 2 years, but there's no way I'm paying a fine. Telling them it's not within my financial means is not just a story, it's a fact, and that's exactly what I've said.

if they have provisionally suspended you already does that mean your 2 yrs is 4 months done already?

Tumbles is the OP. Did I miss something? Did he also admit to doping? Maybe dopping at his favourite pub. ^_^

But I agree with the rest of your post.

oops, true. :blush:

Sorry TW.

Guest Travis.

You see, you willingly took out a loan. Thus understand you WILL be paying money back.

This is a fine, which is normally a debatable remunerate payment. Thus, if he states he can only pay this, or that, then that's the way it is. Read above what Wayne said about getting money back for less than R36k

apparently the high and mighty would prefer that he didn't....

cyclists......nuff said

There are a few separate issues here.

1. He cheated, took drugs. Loads of other riders who have been caught got 2 yr bans and no one argued for a lesser sentence in those cases. Most times, it was that the bans should have been life time.

2. Just because he is South Africa, should not mean any preferential treatment.

3. The size of the fine should have nothing to do with it. Rules got broken. The rider has always admitted that he will deal with the consequences of his actions. Now that those consequences have been dealt out, it seems everyone like some side stepping wants to be done.

Perhaps intention plays a role?