Your Enduro ride

Robodog

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for where i can find AM hardtail frames in sa ? Would prefer to buy local. Thanks guys.

Cotic make some awesome steel frames in 27.5, 27.5+, and 29 flavour. Contact Matt - he will sort you out chop chop. Just search for Cotic SA on Google and you will find the website.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for where i can find AM hardtail frames in sa ? Would prefer to buy local. Thanks guys.

Mercer  and Calculas ( or something like that ) are local AFAIK 

Look at the Onone deedar , Cotic is damn awesome and one of the best imo but seriously over priced as of late

Mr Dave Mercer for you sir!

Sweeeeeet bike !

Riding a hardtail takes you back to your roots. We forget how forgiving long travel squishy bikes are and you can plough through rough stuff without having to give too much thought to line choice. If you get it a bit wrong the bike forgives you a bit. ... kinda like being in a relationship long term - not too many surprises.  

With a hardtail you have to be sharper - more aware .. engage and anticipate, read the terrain and pull out your best dance moves when it starts bucking ... Like seeing that hot chick in a club for the first time, and the game is on ..  - So much more fun :)

I agree - its made me appreciate what rear suspension does for ride quality every time I ride the HT. It also makes you realize that the quality of the fork and travel on offer is 80% of where the dh performance comes from.

The HT also makes your legs work harder so you probably gain a bit of strength and fitness when you hard tail...

I agree - its made me appreciate what rear suspension does for ride quality every time I ride the HT. It also makes you realize that the quality of the fork and travel on offer is 80% of where the dh performance comes from.

The HT also makes your legs work harder so you probably gain a bit of strength and fitness when you hard tail...

Always believed you buy/spend and build your ride with the following order of priority

Frame, Fork'n Wheels ........ and if you say that fast it sounds kind of dirty :P

Always believed you buy/spend and build your ride with the following order of priority

Frame, Fork'n Wheels ........ and if you say that fast it sounds kind of dirty :P

And then brakes, coz let's face it, even the best bike is no use unless you can bring it to a stop quickly!

I do agree, but going the other way has made me seriously love and fear having some rear squidge.

From hammering a hardtail around for years, even 2 x Ezenduro's on a hardtail, having the Tranny Smuggler now has just made me both terrified and excited by the speed and control you can have with some extra grip and straight line tracking that a hardtail doesn't give you.

I'm not 100% sure I am 100% sold yet, but the ease in which 'going fast' and how quickly you get to that speed is enthralling and severely less exhausting.

Getting soft maybe, but for now I'm enjoying it. I do long for a Sick bikes Gnarcissist though.... I want one really badly. I question whether it's worth importing almost every single day.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that some days the HT just isnt for me. Like my last ride. Just felt like a bumpy battle. This came after a ride on the other bike after some fork air pressure reduction and rebound increase front and rear. The front and back felt better matched and it just floated over the rockiest stuff. The HT brought me back down with a bump. Didn't help having a rubbing front brake for half the ride either...

never understood why someone would voluntarily ride a hardtail down a rocky, bumpy, gnarly single track?

I have found that some days the HT just isnt for me. Like my last ride. Just felt like a bumpy battle. This came after a ride on the other bike after some fork air pressure reduction and rebound increase front and rear. The front and back felt better matched and it just floated over the rockiest stuff. The HT brought me back down with a bump. Didn't help having a rubbing front brake for half the ride either...

now only if you had this revelation a week or so ago I could have made you an offer on that rusty old farm gate you call a hardtail frame

never understood why someone would voluntarily ride a hardtail down a rocky, bumpy, gnarly single track?

cause its fun

how so?

Cos' it's slightly less stupid than riding one down a DH track... Long travel HT's in steel just are fun and single track gnar' is funner'er. 

how so?

I really can't tell you , but once you've done it on A proper Am Ht you'll definitely understand 

how so?

I liken it to being chased by a knife wielding assassin, when you're only sliiiiightly slower than him. You KNOW you're in ****, you KNOW that you're at the limit of your capabilities and strength, you KNOW that if you make one wrong move he's gonna stab you faster than a Lavender Hill project resident on Tik. But every so often you get a step right, you take a corner sliiiiightly faster than you should, and it works out and you gain a metre or 2. You still know that if you stumble you're facked, but you laugh like a deranged schoolgirl cos IT FACKING WORKED, I'M FURTHER AHEAD!!! OMG I'M STILL ALIVE WOOOHOOO!!! And then you do it again, and again and again. 

I liken it to being chased by a knife wielding assassin, when you're only sliiiiightly slower than him. You KNOW you're in ****, you KNOW that you're at the limit of your capabilities and strength, you KNOW that if you make one wrong move he's gonna stab you faster than a Lavender Hill project resident on Tik. But every so often you get a step right, you take a corner sliiiiightly faster than you should, and it works out and you gain a metre or 2. You still know that if you stumble you're facked, but you laugh like a deranged schoolgirl cos IT FACKING WORKED, I'M FURTHER AHEAD!!! And then you do it again, and again and again. 

okay he actually found the right words ^ :D

Archived