The 100th Edition Of The Tour de France: Chirps, Opinions, News, Updates.

'Dale

Pick the yellow and green jersey winners.  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Who will reign in Yellow?

• Froome Dawg (Sky)
    • Contador (Saxo Tinkoff)
    • A Schleck, Radioshack
    • Evans (BMC)
    • Uran (Sky)
    • Tejay (BMC)
    • Gesink (Blanco)
    • Hesjedal (Garmin Sharp
    • Valverde (Movistar)
    • J Rodriquez (Katusha)
    • Suprize package!
  2. 2. Who will reign in Green?

• Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cycling)
    • Cav' (Omega Pharma Quickstep)
    • Greipel (Lotto Bellisol)
    • Bouhanni (FDJ)
    • Goss (Orica-Greenedge)
    • Surprize package?

Lets see how the TT goes but I have a feeling we might see both Valverde and Quintana on the Podium in Paris.

If Movistar lets Quintana ride he's own race then I think he will do damage with only Froome able to match him.

Only thing with Quintana is can he ride 3 weeks consistent at the age of 23?

If Contador goes very fast in the TT's he might be in it still...

The 2 Belkin guys might also still have a podium shot.

After the first week I would say...maybe Froome,Quintana,Valverde....in that order. :thumbup:

Yah, Quintana is quite a revelation, but not sure how a tiny lightweight will do at the TT, anyway I guess we will see. :D

I dont think the stage was as tough as all are making it out to be, these are professional athletes, its what they do and there were quite a few non climbers in the peleton most of the way, Jens been one of them, so if he was able to hold on the pace wasn't that tough for the GC guys.

Personally, I think they just measured their efforts, SKY made a mistake yesterday I think and in hindsight the other teams didn't want to do likewise, I can also say I dont think Movistar or Saxo want the jersey just yet, so keep the pace up, move Valverde into second keep the pressure of the jersey on SKY and as a by product of the day they eliminated a good climber Kiryienka and ensured it will only be one rider from SKY on the platform if thats how it goes.

Good day for Saxo and Movistar.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither Valverde nor Quintana are time trailists though... Valverde might still sneak a podium along with Contador though.

I have always been a Valverde fan, but this year he is in the condition of his life, if he doesn't make podium, it will not be for lack of trying.

did you guys see.....

Porte was at +17:59 min

and

Daryl IMPEY at + 22:43min

NOT BAD AT ALL I THINK FOR Darryl!!

I actually felt sorry for Porte yesterday. He literally rode over 100km of the race without a great or doing all the pulling with his 4 man finishing group. The guy is not scared to work and gave his all yesterday trying to get back to Froome and all he got for it was being dumped in the middle of no mans land for the day.

did you guys see.....

Porte was at +17:59 min

and

Daryl IMPEY at + 22:43min

NOT BAD AT ALL I THINK FOR Darryl!!

I'm hoping Daryl can get a top 30 on GC or something...

I'm hoping Daryl can get a top 30 on GC or something...

What I dont get is...where was Clarke on the 1st day of the climbs (Stage 8) when Impey needed some support?

Clearly Clarke can climb.....

Or am I missing something?

What I dont get is...where was Clarke on the 1st day of the climbs (Stage 8) when Impey needed some support?

I've read that Orica wants Clarke to chase the polka dot jersey.

Hmmm

they knew they were going to lose the yellow. more importantly is to ask where was most of the team on stage 7.

I pulled this Google translation from the Movistar website. Those guys were on the rivet all day, tried to break Froome but couldn't.

STATEMENTS:

Rui Costa: " With all the hardness and wear yesterday's stage, we know that today's session would be complicated and the end has been. During the first climb has broken everything, we managed to isolate Froome and then try in every way to make a break and move the race. was not possible and we have set to work hard until the last climb. pace has Nairo was too strong for me and I was cut off, but I could connect the absence of mile and then I tried what I could to help. has been a shame not to fight for the stage, but I think we have done well: overall the team has been very strong and we managed eliminating Porte. Both Alexander and Nairo and I are fine, we have had serious falls and are ready for the next stages. I've lost a lot of time and I think I can be useful to the team in terms of the tactics that can be developed in the race. Among the three will push what we can to finish as high as possible and try to win also in teams. would be nice to get to Paris and get that prize. now have to rest well. "

Alejandro Valverde: " It was all really, really hard. Already in the second climb have started forward and I have carried with me Froome. were looking to accelerate the race and we have found a Sky who has not had his best day. We have 'removed' Porte, who was a great opponent, so even the best possible shot had been winning the stage and we have not succeeded. No getting around it, we should be happy on the stage.'s team has been at a very good level and out of the Pyrenees in second place overall, so the balance is positive. want to thank everyone who has been encouraging in the gutters butt and all the people that know who has supported us at home on television, to this day they will . "

Nairo Quintana: "It was a spectacular stage and quite good for us.'ve again shown that we have a great team and we are all to a very high standard, always lean forward for both me and Alejandro Rui. all put our bit and that helped us come up with three men on and no time, which was important. has been shown that the Sky has its weaknesses, but the truth is that Froome is very strong and hard to hurt. With this stage we removing forces, making you work a bit and the future desgastándole. still remain several rivals who are quite strong, which will have to eliminate gradually. Currently, out of this first week is the White Jersey pretty good and I'm very happy to have it. Tomorrow is the first break, you have to use it, go out and train with peers and talk a bit about other things that are not cycling to disconnect from the race. "

Nail on the head Grumpy, many guys that you wouldn't see in the same group as the main contenders managed to stay with the group. If you look at the numbers you'll notice that the pace was nowhere near the pace on Saturday. Porte sat up and stopped chasing thats why he lost so much time, not because he was "broken". Froome never looked in difficulty and only Quintana tried a couple of very brief attacks. Here is Jens' SRM data, ave speed 40kmh :eek:

post-32242-0-71065800-1373267860_thumb.png

After that fantastic fight for the yellow, the fight for green continues tomorrow.

Sagan would want to minimise damages and keep his awesome points lead intact.

Rolland seems to have his hands firmly on polka.

As well as Quintana with his white jersey. Any deficits in the TT will surely be made up again in the Alps.

post-12015-0-31572000-1373268095_thumb.jpg

After that fantastic fight for the yellow, the fight for green continues tomorrow.

Sagan would want to minimise damages and keep his awesome points lead intact.

Rolland seems to have his hands firmly on polka.

As well as Quintana with his white jersey. Any deficits in the TT will surely be made up again in the Alps.

post-12015-0-31572000-1373268095_thumb.jpg

I can't see anyone challenging Sagan for green. Sure Cav will get another stage win (or 2) but it won't be enough.

I know very little about team road racing but it seemed that Sky actually caught the other teams napping a little by going very hard in the first mountain stage, building a lead in yellow which they would then defend and mark their adversaries.

I guess then Sky knew Movistar et al would be stung and come out firing and maybe that the Sky team and Porte in particular had "burnt plenty matches" getting Froome into yellow. But then a rest day to hopefully recover.

Going to be very interesting.

Kennaugh must've kissed some tarmac somewhere

Saw it on youtube, was a bad crash - check it out

British eurosport commentator also missed it and at first thought it was a spectators bike lying on the side of the road then Sean Kelly said nooooo....that bikes got a race number on it but there was no sign of the rider until a few seconds later when a rather disheveled looking Kennaugh pulled himself up out of the bushes...

Things did not Sky's way yesterday (other than Froome who managed to keep the Sky flag flying).

I wonder if it would not be worth it for Sky to NOT defend the yellow jersey at this early stage to allow the rest of the team a chance to recover especially if Froome is so strong?

Although a 1'25 lead over the next serious contender is not to be sneezed at either....

Edited by SwissVan

So the Gruppeto with the sprinters made it quite comfortable (with +/- 10 minutes if my calculation is correct)...at one stage I think they must have been worried about the pace up front...