MTB: tubeless riders what extras do you carry

shadow1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea same issue different place...deffos carrying it always..

First line of defence...stan's does its job, seals the hole and I am none the wiser

Second line...I can see / hear there is a puncture...stop, putt finger over and rotate hole to the bottom of the wheel...most cases the stan's again does its job

Third line...hole is too big for stan's...get out plug kit, insert plug and bomb up. Tape over worm

Fourth line...Probably a very bad cut...insert tyre boot and tjoob, make sure there are no thorns or debris inside tyre that can puncture tjoob, take your time to do this...its your last match.

Fifth line...okay so boot is too small for the cut and the tjoob is sticking through cut....make do with what you have...banknotes, bark, tape, gel wrapper and maguyver a patch over cut...bomb up, nurse the tyre home. If you have a puncture now, call someone to fetch you...its not your day

Nice...this pretty much sums it up:)

rouxtjie you are never-ending spring of MTB wisdom:P

Edited by Warren_G

Now that saddle bags have become totally uncool, what's a man to do? Didn't like have to wear a pack on ur back, but have now succumbed - also means I can carry a half decent lightweight pump, don't like those bombs.

Also carry tube, repair kits, links, small roll of duct tape, beeg cable ties, small first aid kit - and sometimes when I feel spritely I pack a TIG Welder just in case.

Nice...this pretty much sums it up:)

rouxtjie you are never-ending spring of MTB wisdom:P

Nooit dude, its more a case of having to walk home a couple of times....or to gilroys, whichever was closest :thumbup:

Let me guess...geax is his nam-o

Takes me about 20 seconds to get a racing ralph on or off

Vredenstein Killer Bee

Plugs

Insertion Tool

1 Big Bomb

One of those copper totties that you screw onto your valve so you can pump up at a garage if need be.

Very rarely use the things cause tubeless tyres and enough Stans and I dont puncture.

And I bet I have just jinxed myself and Ill get 10 punctures this weekend.

Now that saddle bags have become totally uncool, what's a man to do? Didn't like have to wear a pack on ur back, but have now succumbed - also means I can carry a half decent lightweight pump, don't like those bombs.

Also carry tube, repair kits, links, small roll of duct tape, beeg cable ties, small first aid kit - and sometimes when I feel spritely I pack a TIG Welder just in case.

Hehe . That was very funny :clap:

I dont understand carrying a tube with you? If maybe something happens and you have to put in a tube it punchers literally after 1 ~ 2 km! lots of devil thorns in my State

But I dont go anywhere without a plug kit and CO2 bomb or two, saved me many a time

CAMELBACK

2 Bombs

Tube

tire levers

repair kit

multi tool

cable ties

duct tape (around seat post)

:thumbup:

Here's something I would like to know...How often do you guys get a flat?

Never had one on a race. Burped my tire once. That's it.

Stans or slime should always be runny, then I just carry a bomb an adapter with a multitool, chain breaker, cable ties and cash.

Edited by wheelerdealer

Agree with wheelerdealer. Dunno if it's only my (good) luck, but never had a flat with tubeless in the past 4 years. Only carry a cellphone with me on races. Key in my opinion is prevention before cure. Make sure your rubbers are always in good condition (spray them with silicon spray!) and replace stans every few months. That works for me!

Dam, you guys carry a lot. I carry a tube and a single bomb!

Of course a small multi tool.

Here's something I would like to know...How often do you guys get a flat?

Never had one on a race. Burped my tire once. That's it.

Stans or slime should always be runny, then I just carry a bomb an adapter with a multitool, chain breaker, cable ties and cash.

In 7000km, two side wall cuts, but that was because of a crap tire by the name Specialized Fast Trak LK, since changing to Icons once only a moerse nail went into my tire at the Clarens race. Took it out and had to plug it and was on my way again in 30 seconds. I will never ride without plugs or a multi tool!

I have 2bliss wheels( Mavics SLR's) 2bliss tyres which never let me down

Gaiters

Plugs

Small bottle of juice

2 bombs

Mini tool and levers

Quick links

No tubes or pumps

Been like this for years

Edited by Kranswurm

I dont understand carrying a tube with you? If maybe something happens and you have to put in a tube it punchers literally after 1 ~ 2 km! lots of devil thorns in my State

A tjoob is literally my last match...I won't ride without one, I like to have a backup plan for a backup plan....a tyre cut, no amount of plugs can help....then its time for ye ol boot and tjoob. But when this is in, you have to nurse it...this is just to get you home / finish and not a permanent fix