[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #2 Cullinan

Tim_Fair

Yes we did...the 40km, was a seal ride though.

The local pub in cullinan sold 2 double kwv's and coke for 40 bucks....we drank them out of brandy

Hahaha EINA!!! Hope this was after the ride!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha EINA!!! Hope this was after the ride!

Jip afterwards, but we started the night before already....and then cracked a couple before the race. Just had a gas.

The field of dreams stuff that came out later the night....now that stuff is next level sheet.

Hey guys who all was helped by the Choc Cows on the route? We where out there helping out on route with punctures etc and had a group that we rent out with the Rent A Cow at all the Nissan Races so parents can go do their race and the Cows are rented out for R150 to ride with your kids, all funds raised goes to Choc.

If you where helped or one of the back markers where the Cows kept you company to finish your race,You can help make a difference by making any donation to http://www.givengain.com/activist/100145/projects/

Our Last cow on the 75km came in after being out for 7hrs So please help make a difference, we helped a lot of people out there to go finish their race. Support us at the next races.

Or you can send a SMS "rentacow" to 40021 to donate R20

Thanks to www.buycycle.co.za profiding all the goodies to help on the route with all the punctures etc.

Nope the 40, for jonno's rum party....I think we came stone last, but still a gas. We rode as a group with all skills levels...A-batchers to someone riding their first ever race on a 18kg beast.

Pictures please!

Pictures please!

Waaahaaa what goes on tour....I will post the PG13 stuff

Field of dreams....more like liquid tik...man that stuff is hectic

Sure safari will post some more

post-9825-0-63263500-1373269824_thumb.jpg

If you don't like the bottlenecks etc, don't ride. No one is forcing you, we all know how many riders there are and that there will probably be bottlenecks at some point, deal with it or ride somewhere else.

Absolute crap...

You get seeded and batched accordingly to reduce the risk of bottlenecks

All of this planning was negated by merging the shorter distance with the longer distance, plain and simple.

I cant believe how much much mountain biking has changed in the 3 years I have been riding. 3 years ago, guys would arrive at an event for a good time, results were secondary, if even that. Guys would chat on the trails, help wherever possible and respect every rider of every abillity and between all that give it fullgazzz. What has gone wrong? Since when does finishing 2 or 3 minutes faster matter because of slower riders on the trail. Who really gives a rats ass? What has happend to the soul of mountain biking?

Yea, a few years ago when i was riding consistently , there was a distinct "casual" and "friendly" vibe in contrast to road cycling where it was/is very serious and cut-throat (especially bigger events). I remember doing races where people would stop and pull off the road , taking photos while bottlenecks clear (not that there were that many). If we complained, it would be because the signage went missing and we went trekking 10km in the wrong direction ;-) .

Anyway, as for the Cullinan race, i actually enjoyed it alot more compared to 2 years ago when i last did it. I did the 40km. This time it was jeep track/open roads 99% of the time, i found it quite easy to pass people and let people pass for majority of the race. 2 years ago, i don't recall any of the walk-a-bike-a-thons , but it was alot of single track and was terrible considering the amount of riders (it was literally wheel to wheel racing). So this year, i was pleasantly surprised having plenty of opportunity to get past others. I feel for an event this size, it's vital not to try to be single track/technical. Although i did find the one big climb a bit of a waste in terms of riding , no one really rode it and the last 10km being uphill , made things somewhat negative , but again, i remember doing similar walk-a-thons without the negativity because everyone was more chilled about walking and watching the wildlife (so it is a bit of an attitude thing too).

There were 2 or so bottlenecks, and while it is a nuisance in a big race, i do find it more annoying to see the faster riders charge down the road (some even in the bushes) like maniacs while there's a clear line of riders walking their bikes to get across the portage spots. The faster riders then end up cutting in at the front and having to walk anyway and resulting in upsetting alot more riders that either try to ride (clumsily) or simply get through without falling .

You know when you're in Johburg/Pta N1 traffic and you see these guys charging down the yellow lines? That's what i thought of majority of the faster riders coming past me during the portage/walk-a-bike spots. I tend to be very conscious of allowing riders to pass, so i do follow the "keep left, pass right" policy all the time, but often it's clear there is no place to go than wait your turn and that's where the roadie mentality is coming out it seems.

Anyway, i prefer the smaller races , but i do know a well organised and designed big race can be just as good. You just need to forego any notions of single tracks and portages. I didn't have the 70km/40km combine issue, but overall i did feel the organisers learned and improved the route ALOT from 2 years ago where i really struggled getting past riders and was going "why why why" the whole race.

Edited by silvertemplar

Absolute crap...

You get seeded and batched accordingly to reduce the risk of bottlenecks

All of this planning was negated by merging the shorter distance with the longer distance, plain and simple.

yep, and the seeding itself was up to shyte (not sure who is to blame for it though). I caught the B batch (started in C) in 4km and that after I had to stop to fix a flat. I passed A batch riders in less than 6km. Does that sound right to anyone?

yep, and the seeding itself was up to shyte (not sure who is to blame for it though). I caught the B batch (started in C) in 4km and that after I had to stop to fix a flat. I passed A batch riders in less than 6km. Does that sound right to anyone?

Sounds like you wouldn't pass a dope test.... :ph34r:

Sounds like you wouldn't pass a dope test.... :ph34r:

haha, the sad thing is, I am actually not that fast. Some of the guys in the A and B batches just didn't belong there...

Have a look at the results sheet and see how many A, B and C seeded racers finished wayyyyyyyy back. Some of them might have had mechanicals, or even a bachelors, but NOT all of them. Makes one wonder... Again, I don't know who is to blame for this?

Speaking of, wada was there...saw the oom with the clipboard etc etc. Thank goodness he didn't ask me for a sample, that field of dreams made my pee green... :w00t:

I'm quite dof on a Monday morning.......saw your name & time on results BUT didn't realise it was for 40km. :blush:

I'm quite dof on a Monday morning.......saw your name & time on results BUT didn't realise it was for 40km. :blush:

Waaahaaa seriaasly I think we were the last 10 people for the 40km....but had huge fun.

haha, the sad thing is, I am actually not that fast. Some of the guys in the A and B batches just didn't belong there...

I can't argue that!

I was severely under-geared on my SS (32x18) so I was at a disadvantage in the beginning stages with the fast terrain and the first guy from C to catch me was at the 18km waterpoint. I was expecting sooner!