What did your MTB bike service cost?

Fast Forward

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DIY route is the obvious answer... R1400 for your labour component is a major rip off. 3hrs to strip a replace a few parts. If all the parts are on hand, disassemble, clean, re-assemble, take less than 50 mins.

Sound like 20 mins work, 3 phone calls, wait 1 day, 35mins work. Worst case scenario.

DIY is not for all, I do prefer to service all my own stuff, MTB, dirt bikes, jet skis etc.

.....although....I did pay 1400 to service front fork and rear shock before sani though....that is one thing i need to learn to do myself (although the rear shock had to go to a certified agent in cape town cos oil was leaking from the rebound switch)

I stopped "servicing" my bikes about five years ago, now I attend to whatever needs sorting out at the time myself. Otherwise you get the vw dealer service approach, "you better replace it now, because it might just wear out tomorrow and then it is going to be much more expensive to fix".

Lets face it, you walk into a shop with your bike covered in three days of sani, tell the dude to "service it" he is going to see every part as being trashed by mud and just strip the stuff off and replace, he doesn't have the time or the gumption to clean every nook and cranny, repack bearings and stuff, its easier to replace.

Everyone learns some or other time what mountain biking can(not always should) cost you. I did my first service on Fox RL fork myself and it came out to basically less than half price. The following service I had done at Cyclefunatics (they trued both wheels, replaced some cabling, bled the brakes plus general check up) - although it cost me slightly more I have to admit the bike I got back was basically brand spanking new and the shock felt like butter. Sometimes it's worth it to have someone with experience work on the bike as long as they bill you fairly, which the did in my case.

I find it difficult to believe that there are bike mechanics, LBS's, that don't do a pre-service check and let you know before just going ahead with expensive repairs/replacements. Find one that does, these are normally the small independents who value you coming back thru the door. There are some really great, skilled individuals out there who would play open cards with a potential lifetime customer.

Fork service: Disassemble, clean seals and wipers, re-lube seals and wipers, assemble.

R125. (Thanks Tool-Up Cycles)

The rest? Bought the tools, grease and google.

Teach a man to fish...........

I think it would be a good idea to arrange a "tech night" group of us get together, have 2 bikes that need some work done, the owners can learn how to do it themselves,with those of us who know what we are doing showing them the ropes.

A few beers, some meat on the braai and helping each other. I will sponsor the centurion venue........

I think it would be a good idea to arrange a "tech night" group of us get together, have 2 bikes that need some work done, the owners can learn how to do it themselves,with those of us who know what we are doing showing them the ropes.

A few beers, some meat on the braai and helping each other. I will sponsor the centurion venue........

Same for the Cape - would be great.

donkie!! what brakes do you have?

You got robbed dude.....you see, the Cape isn't the best for everything :).

Sorry man, that's ***

Julle het die kat aan die bal beet.

Didn't do the sani, was just thinking out loud what it could cost. But it is all bike dependent. Some of those sani bikes were in very bad shape.

R500 for 2 sets of brake pads sound reasonable to me...?

I will let you know when I get my bike back,,,,,,broken axle,cassette , rear lock out shock getting swooped out (factory recall) and and and ,,,,honestly I don't want to know

What shock was that?

I stopped "servicing" my bikes about five years ago, now I attend to whatever needs sorting out at the time myself. Otherwise you get the vw dealer service approach, "you better replace it now, because it might just wear out tomorrow and then it is going to be much more expensive to fix".

Lets face it, you walk into a shop with your bike covered in three days of sani, tell the dude to "service it" he is going to see every part as being trashed by mud and just strip the stuff off and replace, he doesn't have the time or the gumption to clean every nook and cranny, repack bearings and stuff, its easier to replace.

They should actually wash the bike before they take it anywhere near a bike stand. But ja, why would they bother trying to revive some bearings if they can just pop in new ones and ask the premium.

Julle het die kat aan die bal beet.

Didn't do the sani, was just thinking out loud what it could cost. But it is all bike dependent. Some of those sani bikes were in very bad shape.

R500 for 2 sets of brake pads sound reasonable to me...?

No way, they say the brakes I have on are quite expensive and I paid R100-R120 per set a few weeks before Sani (okay, it was maybe due to my partners sharp eyes in a store that didnt know what they were selling ^_^)

After Epic 2013 requested major service , which usually means new cables, etc so and to find cracking noise.....ended up paying R220-00 for a bike wash... :eek: .....same chain, cables and cracking sound...ended up DIY...all a ok after that..... :clap:

laziness :oops: can cost you....DIY still the best.