Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

problem with an external source is that I need to get body corp approval and then an engineer / installer to sign it off. And then get one of those cages to house the gas canisters and and and... it'll definitely be an internal "in the cupboard" installation.

I just need to know If I need to get a gas installer to just hook up a single pipe, cos that's piss easy.

An official installer used to be mandatory as far as I know but realistically it's no more difficult than changing the bottle on a gas heater, and when selling a house I have yet to be asked to produce an installation certificate.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An official installer used to be mandatory as far as I know but realistically it's no more difficult than changing the bottle on a gas heater, and when selling a house I have yet to be asked to produce an installation certificate.

That won't be a problem cos the gas won't be staying when we move, if ever.

Need to check on the insurance aspect though. Even though it'd not be an installation, it could still get sticky

Edited by Renaissance Man

problem with an external source is that I need to get body corp approval and then an engineer / installer to sign it off. And then get one of those cages to house the gas canisters and and and... it'll definitely be an internal "in the cupboard" installation.

I just need to know If I need to get a gas installer to just hook up a single pipe, cos that's piss easy.

As far as I know, if you only use a flexible pipe like you would with a gas heater it is considered a temporary / removable appliance due to the fact that you can just pick it up and go. As soon as you go to copper / fixed line installation it must be done by an approved installer as it is a permanent installation. The only thing you can't do with a flexible pipe is put it through a wall due to the risk of chaffing etc.

As far as I know, if you only use a flexible pipe like you would with a gas heater it is considered a temporary / removable appliance due to the fact that you can just pick it up and go. As soon as you go to copper / fixed line installation it must be done by an approved installer as it is a permanent installation. The only thing you can't do with a flexible pipe is put it through a wall due to the risk of chaffing etc.

Yeah, that confirms what I thought.

Thanks dude.

You are allowed to keep 1 x 9kg cylinder inside, in an adjacent cupboard or convenient corner. Your installation, no matter how simple, must still be done by a qualified technician that must give you a certificate of compliance or you may have issues with insurance if ever you do blow the place up. Anyhow, that is what Tafelberg told me when I bought mine.

Edited by DJR

You are allowed to keep 1 x 9kg cylinder inside, in an adjacent cupboard or convenient corner. Your installation, no matter how simple, must still be done by a qualified technician that must give you a certificate of compliance or you may have issues with insurance if ever you do blow the place up. Anyhow, that is what Tafelberg told me when I bought mine.

That would be a bit tricky as my stove came with a hose and regulator already attached so there isn't actually any installation to be done. The only thing required is to attach a gas bottle which one would have to do on a regular basis thus making it a user controlled operation and not something only a technician could do. I mean realistically what installing would the certified technician actually have to do?

If the stove you buy does not have a pipe fitted as standard you could simply ask the supplier to fit one before collecting it.

is it really that much faster? How different is it to cook with, and what is the min temp?

EDIT: I see - 50 & 275. Same as the electric ones.

Frankie - how long does a bottle last on the full gas option, cooking every night?

How long doea a cylinder last?

A regulator in SA is 28mBar which equates to about 1Kg/hour of consumption. While the pressure is controlled, the consumption is average, but a Kg/hour is a fair guide.

As some people have already said, it gives you quicker heat adjustments (up and down), i.e. when you go from full to simmer, on a hob, it's almost instant change.

Picked this up at the weekend. Really, now, what self-respecting cook could be without it?

post-1604-0-72156300-1439181119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

Boar has arrived... all 20kg of it. First time I'm breaking down a whole carcass... it's definitely a learning curve!

This post is useless without pickshas.