CSA / PPA. The Heat is on

madmarc

CSA needs our license money so they can send William Newman to have his salad tossed by LA bribe-taking, positive test burying, soon-to-be ex-UCI president Pat McQuaid.

Does anyone know where I apply for a refund for my contribution?

Maybe, if you paid by credit card, you can apply for a chargeback… :whistling:

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also start again.

Your average bike commuter is not a committed cyclist. He is just going to work and if he had a car would most likely never ride a bike again in his life.

Well perhaps this is off-topic, but I think I have to respond to how you have framed commuter cyclists here.

As a bit of background, I did my first sub-3 argus on an 11kg steel bike, as a byproduct of commuting to work on it, with a 10kg backpack, over chappies, suikerbossie and camps bay drive, and back again.

I have two cars and am always delighted to leave them in the garage and get on my bike, whether I'm training or riding to a meeting or doing some shopping.

Hopefully the average SA mindset will evolve at some point and we'll all think along these lines - to the point where we no longer reject the bike as a means of transport because we live in fear of our car-driving alter-egos.

I think bike commuters deserve more respect than the average lycra-clad cyclist. They have more balls doing what they are doing, and usually more skills on the bike too, honed through years of dodging idiots in cars.

CSA needs our license money so they can send William Newman to have his salad tossed by LA bribe-taking, positive test burying, soon-to-be ex-UCI president Pat McQuaid.

Does anyone know where I apply for a refund for my contribution?

other than being csa president do you know what William Newman has done for or achieved in cycling for the past 30 years? if so enlighten us

No idea. I once looked for CSA at the Argus Expo as I had a licensed cat. query. Turns out they don't bother to show up there. I don't know what William or any of his colleagues do, apart from have photos taken with fat pat, and spout platitudes on UCI promo videos.

a very reluctant administrator - is still an active cyclist.

top trackie in his day. even when in his 40's he was still giving the young sprinters a good hard race.

finished 5th in Worlds vets in match sprint a few years ago.

numerous sa champs in points and sprint on track

has the cyclist at heart especially the youngsters

Well perhaps this is off-topic, but I think I have to respond to how you have framed commuter cyclists here.

As a bit of background, I did my first sub-3 argus on an 11kg steel bike, as a byproduct of commuting to work on it, with a 10kg backpack, over chappies, suikerbossie and camps bay drive, and back again.

I have two cars and am always delighted to leave them in the garage and get on my bike, whether I'm training or riding to a meeting or doing some shopping.

Hopefully the average SA mindset will evolve at some point and we'll all think along these lines - to the point where we no longer reject the bike as a means of transport because we live in fear of our car-driving alter-egos.

I think bike commuters deserve more respect than the average lycra-clad cyclist. They have more balls doing what they are doing, and usually more skills on the bike too, honed through years of dodging idiots in cars.

100% Commuting is not an isolated activity.

One day when travelling to work, school, varsity etc is mainstream, then we can consider this fight won!

No idea. I once looked for CSA at the Argus Expo as I had a licensed cat. query. Turns out they don't bother to show up there. I don't know what William or any of his colleagues do, apart from have photos taken with fat pat, and spout platitudes on UCI promo videos.

In the Free State the CSA officials always assist at club races . They also organise the Free state road series consisting of 3 Road races, three Time trials , three criteruims and hill climbs.

Our Annual fee is a flat rate of R75 of which R25 goes to Free State CSA and R50 to your club.

So can not really complain about the CSA here.

Lets just agree to differ on this.

I have also done loads of commuting, in fact 2 years of it at age 35 and 36 when I didn't have a car. I used my commuter bike to do the very first 94.7 and the first Spring MTB race. Still don't agree with CSA getting involved with commuting cyclists.

Do you think Athletics South Africa should be fighting for the rights of pedestrians walking to work? Well it's the same thing to me.

So obviously you can't answer the question, because you don't know either......BTW I started this thread so best you shut it and leave. now, now just because you've been put in your place no need to throw yourself on the floor and have a tantrum. thats for immature children :blush:

Your comments and opinions have been so all over the place, do you still remember what this thread is all about!!!!

FOCUS dude FOCUS

Wpppa was formed in 1977 to look after recreational cyclists ie ones too young or now too old to race under the wpca (my opinion) and advocate safe roads and bicycle paths.

1978 the first ‘funride’ was won by Lawrence whittikar (current wpca road champ at the time), he later became ppa chair and later csa pres.

In 1996 – Wpppa – introduced their first Giro del Capo for locals, this was expanded to o/seas teams. see problem

Problem – the wpppa wanted the giro on the sacf and uci calendar but because they weren’t affiliated to sacf this could not happen hence the agreement between sacf and wpppa to form csa. I think Lawrence Whittikar was the 1st csa president.

The giro was given a 2.5 rating (the lowest) on the uci calendar.

Ppa lost the giro sponsorship – no giro and no need to belong to csa

Sascoc wants all sports associations to reflect geographics of rsa (this in itself is impractical) ie only 9 regional reps with ppa being 1 too many.

Csa constitution is rewritten and ppa says it was written out – and take the gap.

This is according to my unfocussed memory, i didn’t quote dates because i can’t remember the exact year. I remember 1996 because that is the year my daughter was born and i pushed her in her pram up vissershok to watch the first giro.

I have also done loads of commuting, in fact 2 years of it at age 35 and 36 when I didn't have a car. I used my commuter bike to do the very first 94.7 and the first Spring MTB race. Still don't agree with CSA getting involved with commuting cyclists.

Do you think Athletics South Africa should be fighting for the rights of pedestrians walking to work? Well it's the same thing to me.

You two should kiss and make up, both appear to be on the same anti-CSA team. :thumbup:

You two should kiss and make up, both appear to be on the same anti-CSA team. :thumbup:

Hahaha. I'm chilled about it. Just a different point of view. Hardly worth going to war over it.

I agree, I don't want to be involved with CSA on any level. As far as I can tell they've contributed nothing of value to my cycling experience commuting, racing or otherwise.

I agree, I don't want to be involved with CSA on any level. As far as I can tell they've contributed nothing of value to my cycling experience commuting, racing or otherwise.

I cannot claim they have contributed nothing to my cycling experience. When I started cycling all events were held under the CSA of rather (SACF supervision) . But that was a long time ago before there was such a thing as recreational cycling.

They totally failed to respond to the needs of less serious cyclists who now are the overwelming majority of cyclists, but they look to them to supply the funds to manage a small band of "elites".

The PPA obviously supplies the needs of their less serious cyclists so their members are happy to pay their dues.

For 15 years we have been requesting the CSA to do just one thing for the less serious cyclist : Provide one National seeding ladder for all cyclists using the results of all events on the national calendar regardless of who did the timing.

Despite repeated promises they have failed to do anything to achieve a Nationaal seeding ladder of all cyclists.

top trackie in his day. even when in his 40's he was still giving the young sprinters a good hard race.

Good to read.

But org politics demand other bits from a man.

i know Willie well, we raced together. a true gentleman

bumped into him on the road the other day, still training and also at a CM to pay tribute to a fallen cyclist.

bit like a duck, very calm on top but below the surface working like hell.