What TV shows are you watching?

FrankG

Any one watched Chernobyl??

Was a good one,really liked it and gives great insight on the whole drama.

Yes, many of us have watched and thoroughly enjoyed it as you have. :thumbup:

The Russians however are not happy with the portrayal. I look forward to their version of events as apparently, they've indicated they want to produce a show that tells the real truth.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russians however are not happy with the portrayal. I look forward to their version of events as apparently, they've indicated they want to produce a show that tells the real truth.

Excellent show, but it was over-dramatised. Apparently quite a few scientific and historical inaccuracies, but I'm sure that was not what the Russians were unhappy about. Probably more the political interference, denial etc.?

This is a rather good series of Podcasts with the makers of the show, and it gives some insight as to decisions they made during the production.

Edited by Hairy

This is a rather good series of Podcasts with the makers of the show, and it gives some insight as to decisions they made during the production.

i knew someone that was there, who was called in as part of the crisis management team. The show brought back some memories of his recollection of events after things went pop. He used the words shameful.

The Russian version is going to be interesting. He recently passed away though. Cancer of all things.

i knew someone that was there, who was called in as part of the crisis management team. The show brought back some memories of his recollection of events after things went pop. He used the words shameful.

The Russian version is going to be interesting. He recently passed away though. Cancer of all things.

Shameful in the manner that HBO represented the events?

Shameful in the manner that HBO represented the events?

no, we a had discussion about what happened and his involvement a long time ago. The guy told some stories that made you look at him funny, but once you fact check the details, the truth of it all makes you want to worship the guy. He left south africa a few years back, so only heard of his passing via-via. He was a guru in nuclear  power generation accident analysis.

Im sorry to ask but seeing as he was there, do you think this had anything to do with the radiation? 

Im sorry to ask but seeing as he was there, do you think this had anything to do with the radiation? 

the consensus is that he is a victim of chernobyl. But getting an official statement to that effect is going to be impossible. Even today,. the russians heavily dispute the number of deaths that can be attributed to Chernobyl, especially those that started expressing effects a long time after the event. In isolation, each person's long term health issues look random, but taken across similar age groups with similar exposure levels, there is an undeniable pattern. Fukushima is going to have the pattern. Radiation effects don't care how you spin the story now. It will eventually tell you the truth. Just count the coffins.

The nuclear industry is very much in the some denialist mode wrt effects and extent of catastrophic reactor failure as the carbon fuels industry and consumers were/are about their impact on atmospheric CO2 and methane levels.

Look at the silly debate about which accident is more disastrous: chernobyl or fukushima. Pointless hairsplitting of the highest order. Disgraceful.

Edited by Capricorn

the consensus is that he is a victim of chernobyl. But getting an official statement to that effect is going to be impossible. Even today,. the russians heavily dispute the number of deaths that can be attributed to Chernobyl, especially those that started expressing effects a long time after the event. In isolation, each person's long term health issues look random, but taken across similar age groups with similar exposure levels, there is an undeniable pattern. Fukushima is going to have the pattern. Radiation effects don't care how you spin the story now. It will eventually tell you the truth. Just count the coffins.

The nuclear industry is very much in the some denialist mode wrt effects and extent of catastrophic reactor failure as the carbon fuels industry and consumers were/are about their impact on atmospheric CO2 and methane levels.

Look at the silly debate about which accident is more disastrous: chernobyl or fukushima. Pointless hairsplitting of the highest order. Disgraceful.

Good Oll Russia>>>(per wikipedia)

In the decades since the accident, many former Soviet officials and some Western sources have stood by 31 as the accident's official death toll,[6][7] making 31 the most oft-cited figure for the disaster's direct, short-term fatalities.

LONG term-

with long-term death estimates ranging from 4,000 (per the 2005 and 2006 conclusions of a joint consortium of the United Nations and the governments of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia), to more than 93,000

Good Oll Russia>>>(per wikipedia)

In the decades since the accident, many former Soviet officials and some Western sources have stood by 31 as the accident's official death toll,[6][7] making 31 the most oft-cited figure for the disaster's direct, short-term fatalities.

LONG term-

with long-term death estimates ranging from 4,000 (per the 2005 and 2006 conclusions of a joint consortium of the United Nations and the governments of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia), to more than 93,000

the amount hose people smoked i am surprised any of them are still alive