2013 thehubsa TdF fantasy competition

Frosty

Almost Tour time...  

107 members have voted

1. 1. If organised again this year, will you enter?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Admin and Captcha Photography for the prizes

Thanks to everyone for taking part, and keeping it going all these years - still a long way to go before Phil Sherwin & Paul Liggett can mention that we've been doing this for 100 years.

In the meantime, I will work on a few more scoring options to see if there are any improvements.

Until 2014...

Happy riding, and typing.

Regards,

Gerald, aka Frosty

Possible change in the scoring system. Lower the weigthing of the yerseys for each stage but Increase it in Paris with this increase the points for a stage win.

This will make it more unpredictable. And more difficult to pick a strong overall team.

It really was fun having a vested interest in watching the race.

Thanks again

Great competition, thanks Gerald and well done to the winners!

Tied with grumpy for 7th, my bet on Pinot didn't pay off and I was hoping Rolland would take the polka dots.

Hah, yeah, I was wondering at the time if I should go with Cadel or Greipel, eventually I went with Cadel as I though he would get more points over the mountains and the TT's - so needless to say but Cadel and I are no longer friends.! :D

Possible change in the scoring system. Lower the weigthing of the yerseys for each stage but Increase it in Paris with this increase the points for a stage win.

This will make it more unpredictable. And more difficult to pick a strong overall team.

It really was fun having a vested interest in watching the race.

Thanks again

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already started working on 2 alternate scoring systems.

Perhaps you could propose a weighted scoring system and I'll crunch the numbers.

My options, so far, are:

Option 1

Award top 20 places on each stage, i.e. 1st = 20, 2nd = 19, 4rd = 18... 20th = 1).

It keeps to the same scoring system used this year, but adds points for position 6-20 on each stage.

This has already shuffled the places quite dramatically, although the winners were still in the top 10.

Option 2

Award points for every stage finisher from top down, i.e. 1st = 198, 2nd = 197, 3rd = 196... down to last place depending on number of finishers. Stage 1 = 1, but last place on stage 21 = 30, as 29 riders withdrew during the 3 weeks.

The second option still has to be modified and entered into the table - quite a bit a retro-pasting required. I will update this during the week and post for comments.

I welcome your suggestions to improve the scoring, and to keep it interesting right up to Paris. However, the basics of the game need to remain in place:

1. pick 9 riders

2. pick 3 teams

3. no substitutions allowed after the cut-off.

Unfortunately there can only be one winner, there is no prize for the person in yellow at the end of the first week, or second week.

Likewise in this competition, the bonus of having one of your picks in the relevant jersey needs to be rewarded at the time he is wearing it.

I dont think major changes are needed and I really like you have to choose your team and stick to it! Perhaps individual stage wins could count for more points and maybe a few bonus points for the change of a jersey - ie 10 point when you wiin the jersety and then lesser points for keeping it?

Otherwise I loved it and thoroughly enjoy the change from superbru!

I dont think major changes are needed and I really like you have to choose your team and stick to it! Perhaps individual stage wins could count for more points and maybe a few bonus points for the change of a jersey - ie 10 point when you wiin the jersety and then lesser points for keeping it?

Otherwise I loved it and thoroughly enjoy the change from superbru!

Gerald great job!

I agree no major changes needed - keep it simple. But Igknot's suggestion of adding some extra weight for final jersey holders makes sense to me.

Edited by dracs

Thanks Gerald for another fun TdF competition!

Congrats Tridude, well picked!

My 2nd year of dismal failure in picking a winning combination. Maybe next year.

Hah, yeah, I was wondering at the time if I should go with Cadel or Greipel, eventually I went with Cadel as I though he would get more points over the mountains and the TT's - so needless to say but Cadel and I are no longer friends.! :D

Hahaha

Thanks Gerald, was the best fantasy game I have played! Ok that sounds weird but you know what I mean!!

Thanks Gerald for putting together this awesome game...

Hopefully next year my team actually does some big things...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already started working on 2 alternate scoring systems.

Perhaps you could propose a weighted scoring system and I'll crunch the numbers.

My options, so far, are:

Option 1

Award top 20 places on each stage, i.e. 1st = 20, 2nd = 19, 4rd = 18... 20th = 1).

It keeps to the same scoring system used this year, but adds points for position 6-20 on each stage.

This has already shuffled the places quite dramatically, although the winners were still in the top 10.

Option 2

Award points for every stage finisher from top down, i.e. 1st = 198, 2nd = 197, 3rd = 196... down to last place depending on number of finishers. Stage 1 = 1, but last place on stage 21 = 30, as 29 riders withdrew during the 3 weeks.

The second option still has to be modified and entered into the table - quite a bit a retro-pasting required. I will update this during the week and post for comments.

I welcome your suggestions to improve the scoring, and to keep it interesting right up to Paris. However, the basics of the game need to remain in place:

1. pick 9 riders

2. pick 3 teams

3. no substitutions allowed after the cut-off.

Unfortunately there can only be one winner, there is no prize for the person in yellow at the end of the first week, or second week.

Likewise in this competition, the bonus of having one of your picks in the relevant jersey needs to be rewarded at the time he is wearing it.

I think option 1 with awarding points for the top 20 (or even top 30) is a very good way to do it.

The only problem I'd have with a scoring system for all 198 placings is that you would get someone like Geraint Thomas for example who would lead the peloton for 50% of the race sacrificing himself for the team before blowing with 20km to go and finishing in the Grupetto in the bottom 20 riders.

Yup. Second the comments - Thanks gerald24 for putting this all together. good fun.

Sad I missed the last 3 days of the tour on the telly but not too long till next year.

time to turn off the DSTV again.

Edited by Uni