Best Watches with GPS for Cycling and a bit of running

Paul Ruinaard

HI, i want to get something for my wife - not something that will run the international space station - just a watch with HR features, plus GPS and some data like calories burned, ascent etc. Must be able to link to Strava and do a bit of running detail.

Bike mountable

Budget R 2 to R 3k

What do you gurus recommend

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my Edge 800 ;-)

I bought an iPod running pouch (the type that you see runners with strapped to their upper arms) and slip it into that when I run. Works perfectly.

The only thing it can't do is count the number of paces I take (I don't know what the technical term is - the runners' equivalent of cadence).

Edited by jmaccelari

i would buy a gps for cycling and stick it in your back pocket for the occasional run.....unless you want laps etc then you need to get a more dedicated running watch....prob with a watch is that it does not last a long ride. Personally i run with my phone in my back pocket - listen to some tunes and use strava to record my runs..and i am happy with that

i would buy a gps for cycling and stick it in your back pocket for the occasional run.....unless you want laps etc then you need to get a more dedicated running watch....prob with a watch is that it does not last a long ride. Personally i run with my phone in my back pocket - listen to some tunes and use strava to record my runs..and i am happy with that

I've tried the phone in pocket method, but I always manage to drop the signal somewhere along the way. On the upside, when I download to Strava it looks like I've been running 3min kays :whistling:

You can put your cycling GPS in your pocket if you just want to track your run, BUT... if you want to actively get feedback while running you will need a watch. The most important feedback will be HR and pace (min/km). So I would go for a watch if you want the feedback while running.

I've got a Bryton Cardio 30. It's crap, go for something else.

You can put your cycling GPS in your pocket if you just want to track your run, BUT... if you want to actively get feedback while running you will need a watch. The most important feedback will be HR and pace (min/km). So I would go for a watch if you want the feedback while running.

that is what i do - and then i use my stopwatch for splits - as i know where the k markers are on my regular routes....

Garmin 310XT is great. You can get then for just over R3k with HR strap from EasyBike

Agree, The 310XT is great. My 405 broke and garmin upgraded me to a 310xt. I got the quick release for the bike and love it. I'd even go as far to say that I think it's more accurate than my 405.

What he said - buy a bluetooth hr belt that will speak to your phone and you've got all you need.

What I'm waiting for is strava / endo / someone else to add power to their offering and then I'll buy a powercal hr belt and get power too...

The days of lots of devices is coming to an end - soon it's going to be your phone, and some sensors (hr strap, cadence, speed, pace, whatever). Can't be too soon in my eyes.

Another vote for the 310XT - I've had one for about the past 2 years now, after a 301 and a 305. My activity profile is currently 1 day of riding a week (I'm excluding the odd commute), running 3 days a week, gym twice a week. I can use the 310 for all of that.

I didn't bother with the bike mount. Riding with it on my wrist is fine.

I have the Polar RC3 GPS

Love it

Easy to use and very user friendlu web based software.

Around ZAR3.3k. but if you are on discovery vitality you get 20% discount at totalsports

The latest Multisport mag has a good article comparing runtastic, polar, garmin and Suunto. Worth a read

I got my wife a Garmin Forerunner 210, basic watch with HRM and it has an optional bike mount for R2600. This is very easy to use

what is wrong with bryton?

I also looked at it but decided to stick to Polar

I have the Garmin Forerunner. Bit bulky for a watch, but excellent. At 3k you can get a great watch if you want the basics. I like the Garmin, never looses signal and when you travel it picks up the signal within a minute or two.

Do not get a full bike GPS, when you run, you might have to choose between a Ipod or the GPS, or carry both and risk looking like the terminator going down the road.

Make sure you get a bike mount for the watch, build it into your budget, having a watch rattle on your arm during a ride is frustrating!