Motivation

Overlord

Best motivation for me was my waistline and my sanity:

I was hit by a car in December. it a) ruined my favourite bike, B) messed up my shoulder, c) messed with my confidence.

I didn't ride for a while, then twisted my knee, pulling the ligaments, then I fell down some stairs, cracking my kneecap.

All in in all: 4 months lost and a few kgs gained.

I realised that I was snapping at my wife and child, eating too much, suffering mood swings as a result of my awesome diet of chips, pasta and chocolate.

One day I just got on my bike, suffered through the pain in my knee which was a fu@ker, and came home serene.

Riding my bike centers me, lets me think clearly, forces me to exhale.

Even my wife, who hates the fact that I love cycling, now recognizes that it makes me a better person to live with.

Cycling makes us better as human beings.

Very few activities do that.

My advice: take a wee break, see how you change, and analyse what is missing in your life.

The answer will almost always be that your bike, or rather - riding your bike - is the missing link.

Excellent post.

Stay safe, man. What a spell of injuries.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig spending time in the mountain. hiking trail tunning or riding. When my motivation drops, I go trail running.

It is a bit left field, but you can also try and teach someone. I coached a bit at the local high school, they have a Mtb team, and my wife started riding as well. Seeing the kids enjoyment and hearing their stories, and seeing my wife's progression really makes me amped to ride.

good luck.

Edited by PhilipV

I really enjoy technical trail riding and all-mountain riding.

What I do to keep motivated is, I try at least 1 new thing on every ride ie I try to hit a specific jump harder, ride a rock garden faster, lean a berm harder. This approach means that I am looking forward to each and every ride.

It also helps if every ride has a plan and a goal, be it riding at a certain pace, good rhythm on climbs, riding obstacles at better pace etc. If your ride has a goal you can gauge your performance and when you have reached your goal you can set a new one.

Having said that, it is also fun to just go for a ride without any goals, especially when you have things to think about and no specific event you are training for.

For me, Variety makes life sweet and keeps me motivated.

I ride XC, Enduro and I dirt jump. I sport climb and boulder competitively. I hike, scuba dive, swim, run, fish and ride horses.

I cook, sketch and read.

I do not waste time on pointless activities. i.e. shopping with girlfriends/wife, eating mcdonalds and gardening are rat race activities and thus motivation killers.

I never sleep later than 7.00 AM

So go do something different for a while. you will come back to cycling a happier person.

And you clearly don't have kids :-) Wish I could do all that.

Wow! This thread has really returned the faith I had in the hub. I had being questioning lately whether I wanted to still spend time on here, I don't post much, but read a lot (a bit of a lurker...) It is so awesome to see everyone's positive attitudes and replies to someone looking for a little motivation.

I also sometimes battle with motivation and will definitely use some of the suggestions posted here!

Thanks guys!

I head to Suikerbos. I tell myself I will just chill and check out the animals. End up burying myself.

In fact I think I will go tomorrow. Do a double loop. Not much going on in the morning so why not

I will follow this thread as I am in the same situation.

ditto...to an extend.... :blush:

With most peeps here, the daily grind can debilitate motivation.

It's a good thread. Important.

Rode at 4am this morning - 2hrs at the fastest pace I've been able to maintain for 5 years.

Climbed like a ....well...buffalo, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Went to work in a positive frame of mind.

Good thread, this!

Take the camera and just go ride looking for cool pictures to take...forget about training and just enjoy the view

Edited by SwissVan