Be careful about OUTsurance bike cover

walkerr

my bikes (though cheapies) are covered unspecified in general sport equipment with outsurance.

I'd get that in writing. Most policies cover goods (personal items usually carried on you) under the unspecified section of All Risks, but if you read further in teh Terms and Conditions it usually stipulates that Bicycles, Prescription specs, cell phones, etc must be specified in order to be covered.

Just make sure, you don't want a nasty surprise.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where a decent broker comes in.

They sort out the admin for you.

Mine incidentally got me better premiums than the direct guys could get.

Mate of mine is still waiting for outsurance after one of their clients drove into him. 1 Year later.

My wife and my bikes are all covered with them at a very competitive rate.My wife crashed 2 months ago ending up with R12500 damage to her bike,they paid out in 3 days.

Never had any issues with Outsurance.

Why do you want that amount of 3rd party cover for an overseas trip? Are you worried about getting sued for something you might do on your bike? Like causing an accident?

I need a proper written clarification, because part of the entry criteria for an overseas events requires it. Despite their website claim, so far their call center staff & underwriters are denying the policy covers what the website claims.

Go have a look at your policy wording to double check this - You'll see the liability cover is automatically included if you have the Contents cover, but the last Outsurance wording I saw had an exclusion relating to the liability cover which said they won't cover you for damages and legal costs awarded against you by a court outside SA... So I don't think they can give you that letter you need.

My wife and my bikes are all covered with them at a very competitive rate.My wife crashed 2 months ago ending up with R12500 damage to her bike,they paid out in 3 days.

how did you specify your wife? under all risk? :w00t: seriously though, i have a 25k claim with outsurance and it was settled within 3 days too!

Edited by Face Plant

I'm on about my fifth call to try and get absolute clarification on what they cover.

But if you read their sales talk on their website everything looks great:

http://www.outsuranc...oducts/bicycle/

Especially these bits:

• Receive complete protection from OUTsurance when you are racing, training or riding socially.
  • You'll also receive worldwide cover! There is literally no place on earth you can go where you won't be covered. So why wait? Next time you visit Mozambique, don't hesitate to take your bicycle with you.

And later on:

• If you already have household insurance with OUTsurance, we'll throw in personal legal liability for up to R5 million.

I have had such a policy with them for a while, but am having enormous difficulty getting them to confirm that the policy covers what they claim above - specificlly the personal liability aspect. Despite advertising it, they don't seem to want to actually confirm it is covered.

I'm pretty close to switching to Hollard Cyclesure, who actually do seem willing to confirm they cover all of the above.

Note sure if this is relevant, but Outsurance told me the Worldwide cover doesn't include if you enter a race where you can earn money as a winner.

Also had a claim with Outsurance , had a fall and busted the rear derailer , paid within a week , At this years Kremetart another rider stood on My sunglasses while I was sitting on the grass, I placed My glasses next to Me ,an error on My side , they paid within 3 days , No problems , The premiums on bikes are high though , with theft of bikes and bikejackings I cant comment about their service .

There is a reason direct insurers are cheaper, even though their marketing budgets are huge, think about it for a moment before nice low premiums lure you.

I found skipping the "middleman" was not cheaper, work though a good broker and we actually save a lot not to mention I got someone to sought out my problems for me and he dose a good job.

My bikes are covered with them, I had one bad crash and they payed without any hassles, I was really impressed with their prompt service

I placed My glasses next to Me ,an error on My side , they paid within 3 days , No problems ,

-- Snip --- Snip --- Snip

The premiums on bikes are high though

Wow, I wonder why....?

Oh wait, it's because of muppets who convince themselves that their own stupidity justifies an insurance claim. Every single Outsurance client pays a few cents extra because it's somehow logical and reasonable for someone to demand to be reimbursed for not thinking.

*Sigh*. That's why I'm with a broker who has an exclusive low-risk portfolio of clients, giving me the benefit of premiums about 1/3 that which I would pay with one of these "direct" "service providers".

Never had any issues with Outsurance.

Why do you want that amount of 3rd party cover for an overseas trip? Are you worried about getting sued for something you might do on your bike? Like causing an accident?

It's required that all entrants to the event hold 3rd party cover

Go have a look at your policy wording to double check this - You'll see the liability cover is automatically included if you have the Contents cover, but the last Outsurance wording I saw had an exclusion relating to the liability cover which said they won't cover you for damages and legal costs awarded against you by a court outside SA... So I don't think they can give you that letter you need.

Thanks I will check that.

If that is the case, will almost certainly see my bike cover going to Hollard/Cyclesure - their cover is worldwide including liability (have just had that confirmed)

I've got my bike insured with CycleSure and claimed for a new wheel and saddle with no hassles and no questions asked...

Good to know - they are my next option. Take the bikes off my OUT cover and move it to them